Browsers

12harry

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Like many sites, this one tells me my Internet Explorer 11 is "out of date" (or similar" ), and I need to update... often giving me their no.1 choice just a Click away.
This site has worked with IE11 for many years and I continue to see Videos ( except those on YT, as they insist on using Google Chrome, as I understand - the benefit being I now save a lot of time not watching ).
However, like other Forum sites, the meat is TEXT and this will require very low overheads, so I don't see IE11 failing, unless it affects the processor by dividing the clock-speed by a thousand.... [ GHz to MHz... Wow! ].

As an attempt to "Update my Win10 PC" I used IE11 to fetch "Edge" which I hoped would offer the same stability and privacy as IE11 - since it is a Microsoft product ( well not quite, as it appears to be a "front-end" for Chrome ).... so my Win10 PC has now lost IE11 and I have to dance to Chrome.... which still won't allow access to YT ( saving me time again), yet now I access Forums without any restrictions... it appears Edge has filled-in every detail these site request.... without specific permission ( which I'd withhold.).
No-longer does this site require "other options" when their Cookie page is presented.... I presume EDGE has given away this Option. The Cookie page is not obviously available at Login.

I fail to see that taking my personal details is a "Good Thing" unless I am being paid for it, . . . . . for example we can come to some fee that represents the future income as resellers.

It's noted that very few folk worry about their data and very few Websites have any feedback to improve the customer experience - something that would be seen by other Visitors, so a consensus might emerge. Yet the Cookie notices tell us it improves our experience: by loading up thing we like to see - which flies in the dace of a wide-base forum/sales platform/etc. , since they cannot know what I want to look at. Some are more direct and suggest they use statistics to improve the Site.... presumable by allocating more space to areas that need it..... a task that any decent forum-software should be doing "on the fly".

What I find worrying is that the next "Windows" that Microsoft expects to be paid for will be entirely generated by Google and MS will no-longer be a software company of note.

Do others see this possibility?
Will our favourite software need to be ditched -if it no-longer works with "new windows" - That's once Google gets to dictate Terms? It's "Business" so you can't blame them... except I like to have Choice.

It was suggested elsewhere, that Opera was a good "free" Browser - - yet it appears to be much like Chrome and keeps pushing "Google! as the Search-engine - I'd prefer to exercise my own choice . . . .

Any thoughts, before Google takes over?

I haven't looked into the details of the new version of edge, but it's likely using the same file structure and formats as previous versions & IE so it wouldn't surprise me if it retained the site specific cookies you set on Internet Explorer, which may be why you didn't see the info consent options again.

Chromium and Blink has passed through quite a few hands, originating in the open source community, with major work by Apple to make Safari/Webkit with Google being the most recent big fork resulting in Blink/Chromium/Chrome.

Chromium is an open source project so it's not fair to call browsers using it front ends. They're not just interfacing with the same piece of software, they can change anything in the entire code to behave differently.

I used IE (especially the granular cookie configuration) quite extensively till like you I was forced to switch to Chrome.

I have found no other browsers that have the level of control over cookies that IE did and Edge seems only very rudimentary in general when it comes to configurable options.

Chrome isn't bad, and though unlike IE you can't specifically certain conditions like block "all cookies except" you can set it up so it does a pretty good job of coming close, so it will delete all held cookies except, when closed.

Something you have to bare in mind is that the internet isn't used in the same way it used to be. The revenue earing/generation model that exists today is a far cry from the what was in place when IE was first released... or for that matter even the last version of IE. The use of cookies has similarly evolved, and is well... counter productive to the content suppliers purposes.

I'd not get too worried about it. just enjoy yourself before the singularity.

The new Edge is a very good Chrome based browser but that said they are mostly good these days bar Firefox which I find sluggish in comparison. If your worried about security just set up a throw away gmail account and use that for log in etc.

The new Edge is a very good Chrome based browser
Well strictly speaking it is a very good Chromium based browser - As is Chrome :)

But yes the days of simply tossing Edge out because it is MS and was based on IE are probably over.

Having said that I can’t tear myself away from using Chrome as my default browser on PC :laugh:

Google is first and foremost a data harvesting company - it gathers, it sells. Even corporate admirers would have difficulty putting a positive spin on the way Google 'manages' personal data. And of course, many other giant global organisations behave in similar ways which is why some of these organisations are running campaigns to improve their image (I'm thinking of the current Amazon UK TV adverts). Possibly great companies to invest in, but as for using their products...

Judging by your post, I think you'd be better off with finlux's suggestion of Firefox web browser. I am a fairly recent convert to Firefox. I don't use Microsoft Edge although it's difficult to avoid (as it's a bit like Freddy Krueger, it just keeps on coming back) but I have, until recently, used Google Chrome and Firefox is no slower than Chrome. Firefox was also much easier to configure the way I wanted.

I've also relegated Windows 10 to my secondary OS as I found it very high maintenance, unintuitive and slow. I now use Linux Ubuntu OS and, frankly, it's a breath of fresh air now that it's up and running (though getting it up and running was another matter entirely!).

Firefox easily installs on a Windows10 PC - I have just put it on my W10 installation - and it is of course present on the Ubuntu OS download.

If you are worried about security and data collection by Google, have you tried Vivaldi? Started by the guy who founded Opera, it does put Google as the default search engine initially, but you can delete Google (I do) and use any search engine you like.
Vivaldi is very customisable - you can change just about anything - and increasingly capable. It has a built in cookie/tracker/ad blocker that you can customise (or use an adblocker and Ghostery). I've used both methods and find the full Vivaldi block option works fine.
Another browser that is considered very safe is Brave. It's quite new and I haven't tried it, yet.
And, there is Firefox, as mentioned above. I keep it as an alternative browser, running No Script. This allows me to interrogate any dodgy site and check what code it wants to run, before deciding to allow or not.

Whichever browser(s) you use, it is essential to go through all the settings and options after installation and, in some cases (yes, you Microsoft) after every major update. Pain in the neck, but the only way to ensure the browser behaves the way you want.

As mentioned in a separate thread, I have switched to the Brave browser/search engine (whatever it is), after Facebook became totally unusable with Chrome. The only think I don't like about it is that a whole load of Brave desktop shortcut icons is far more unfriendly to my eyes than the same number of Chrome equivalents. Wherever possible I'm now changing them.

I use Firefox as my go-to browser on my PC and on my Android phone, and try to use duckduckgo as my search engine since I got sick of Google clearly watching everything I did.

Can't fault Firefox, it's very good.

I use Firefox as my go-to browser on my PC and on my Android phone, and try to use duckduckgo as my search engine since I got sick of Google clearly watching everything I did.

Can't fault Firefox, it's very good.
I tried Firefox and just found that it seemed very out-dated. Perhaps not really a valid reason for rejecting something which performs satisfactorily, but it was like using something from twenty years ago.

I tried Firefox and just found that it seemed very out-dated. Perhaps not really a valid reason for rejecting something which performs satisfactorily, but it was like using something from twenty years ago.
How bizarre, horses for courses I suppose, but I can't find anything out-dated or remotely faulty with it.

Last edited:
How bizarre, horses for courses I suppose, but I can't find anything out-dated or remotely faulty with it.
How utterly strange. You replied to a post by TVEye and for some reason it’s attributed the post to me and sent me notification of your reply.

Just to reiterate, before this post I have never joined in on this thread. This is the second thing I’ve noticed recently that seems off with the operation of this AVForums.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom