browser hijack help please

Our Year

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
i have been hijacked lol by DNSunlocker i Have done all the usual scans malware , spy bot it gets rid but within minutes they are back.
i have a feeling I got infected after the many free programmes I tried to get VPN fall out So the other day I removed them all But then for some reason that left me with no internet access ( it stated limited access ) So had to roll back
Today after trying hitman for the first time it got rid of the "virus" but also I went back to limited internet access
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Im still running Win 8.1
Remove "Ads by DNS Unlocker" virus (Uninstall Guide)

hmm ok I think ive fixed it .. fingers crossed .. dnsunlocker changes you ip4 protocol to a specific site .. setting it back to automatic may have been the fix

....always use somewhere like bleeping computer to search for ways to remove stuff. Sometimes random websites telling you to remove things can be complicit with the application installed in the first place.....

Fresh install. Takes much less time than troubleshooting reoccurring issues.

Get everything out of run and run once in the registry. Or in more recent versions of Windows get task manager up, check everything listed in startup. For everything in there, if you don't absolutely want it running at startup, disable it. Then run all the malware checks again.

Do you have systems restore active? Sometimes the malware is in the backups. I have had that before.

Disable it and delete the backups and do all your checks again to see if it solves your problem with malware.

Disabling your System restore and deleting the backups won't cause your no internet problem.

It seems when I delete the virus it's messes up my connection.. My WiFi is fine to my phone but hard wired to the pc it's messed up

Is the virus gone now then? Try reinstalling your network drivers.

I don't mean to hijack your thread :D but yesterday my stepmom who is normally very cautious couldn't login to her facebook account as she had forgotten her password so she googled "facebook support phone number" or something similar and came across an 0800 number.

She phoned them and spoke to a very nice lady that told her that her account had been hacked but she could fix it for the small fee of £300 :eek: now most people would instantly think SCAM but no she went to a website and downloaded an application to allow access to her PC so the nice lady could fix the problem and walk her through the payment process :blush:

On top of that they asked her to select from a list of signitures the one that was closest to her own :facepalm:

I overheard her telling my Dad over the phone and told her to shutdown her PC and let me look at it in the morning.

I don't know how someone can be so stupid, all she had to do is phone me and I would have sorted facebook login problem but now, who knows what they have infected her PC with but on top of that they know her paypal, credit card, address, personal details, facebook, google etc.... :mad:

Have you reinstalled your network adapter?

I would also disable all firewalls and antiviruses to make sure thats not the problem.

Thats all I can suggest. Sorry.

If you google Windows 10 limited connectivity there are some solutions you can try. i would if I was in your shoes. If that doesn't work then a new install.

Thats all I can suggest. Sorry.

If you google Windows 10 limited connectivity there are some solutions you can try. i would if I was in your shoes. If that doesn't work then a new install.
i went to device manager deleted all the drivers under network then updated via the DM and it worked ! thanks for you help
Im going to upgrade to 10 after xmas then do i clean install its long over due :)

i went to device manager deleted all the drivers under network then updated via the DM and it worked ! thanks for you help
Im going to upgrade to 10 after xmas then do i clean install its long over due :)

Glad you got it sorted. Hope the virus problem is solved.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom