Brought the Kef R3 need Info.

jk1988

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am to take delivery of a new set of Kef R3. I am hoping to use them in a home cinema setup using a Denon AVR-X3500H is it a capable amp for them or am I in need of a seperate two chanel amp to work with the amp. If I am in need of new two chanel amp what do people recommend. And I currently use Chord C screen speaker do I need to also upgrade that as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Amp - yours ears will let you know if the combination work well in your room or not.

Some folk will say stick with the AVR others, probably those with more a a music focus, will say add in a Stereo Amp with an HT Bypass mode.

Speaker cable - the brand is irrelevant, anything which is 2x2.5mm, or heavier gauge, will be fine.

Joe

Amp - yours ears will let you know if the combination work well in your room or not.

Some folk will say stick with the AVR others, probably those with more a a music focus, will say add in a Stereo Amp with an HT Bypass mode.

Speaker cable - the brand is irrelevant, anything which is 2x2.5mm, or heavier gauge, will be fine.

Joe
Cheers for the advice I will try with my current amp first see how it stacks up. As it is mainly used for movies with the occasional music thrown in. I am looking at getting the Audioquest type 5 speaker cable but not surre if I am going for looks over quality. As I like the braided look of the cable.

James

‘I am looking at getting the Audioquest type 5 speaker cable but not surre if I am going for looks over quality’ - save your money!

Joe

The Denon will drive the KEFs, but honestly they will reward you if you give them some quality amplification for stereo music. There will not be much difference in a surround sound situation but again the higher you go up the Denon ladder the more rewarding it will be.

As Joe has said look at getting a stereo amp with HT by-pass, if you are going to use them for stereo music as well as surround duties. I've been running the old KEF R300s for a long time now and they do go well with Denon, I've used the X6200 and currently the X6500.

Do you use your current set up for stereo music?

With cable, save your money nothing wrong with Van Damme Blue.

I have the Kef R3’s running off of a Marantz SR6013 AVR, with a BKXXLS400 sub. They sound superb to me in my small room.
Marantz make a big deal out of the musical qualities of their AVR’s taking the care that they do with their Stereo amps. I would try your amp first. I have Van Damme speaker cable that I use, again it sounds great to me.
Are you going to add the centre as well?

I have the Kef R3’s running off of a Marantz SR6013 AVR, with a BKXXLS400 sub. They sound superb to me in my small room.
Marantz make a big deal out of the musical qualities of their AVR’s taking the care that they do with their Stereo amps. I would try your amp first. I have Van Damme speaker cable that I use, again it sounds great to me.
Are you going to add the centre as well?
I currently have a q600c as my centre channel and I am pushing my q350's to the rear. I have an old Marantz PM6004 would I be able to use that as ht bypass and if so how easy is it to do.

I currently have a q600c as my centre channel and I am pushing my q350's to the rear. I have an old Marantz PM6004 would I be able to use that as ht bypass and if so how easy is it to do.
I meant try your Denon first then see what you think
@gibbsy Some guidance here?
I am using an AVR so have not got an analogue amp.

I meant try your Denon first then see what you think
@gibbsy Some guidance here?
I am using an AVR so have not got an analogue amp.
The Marantz pm6004 does not have HT by-pass. To use for that purpose the volume would have to be balanced along with that of the Denon. It's not impossible to do but is a bit of a faff and you also have to remember that, on paper, the pm6004 does not have the same power in a stereo role as does the Denon X3500. I would say that the pm6004 is selling the KEFs short, very short in fact.

Cheers I'll try the amp on it's own see if I enjoy it. Then take it from there.

Here is a list off almost all the stereo amps which are HT-Bypass friendly meaning they will works as both a power amp for your AVR and also double up as a stereo integrated amp where you would plug your stereo electronics into it. Many people do look at AudioLab as a good starting point, but there are so many others, you may find another that you like the look of more

I am to take delivery of a new set of Kef R3. I am hoping to use them in a home cinema setup using a Denon AVR-X3500H is it a capable amp for them or am I in need of a seperate two chanel amp to work with the amp. If I am in need of new two chanel amp what do people recommend. And I currently use Chord C screen speaker do I need to also upgrade that as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same Denon AV and didn’t find that it paired very well with my Kef R300. Might be different with the R3’s. I’d recommend an amp with HT bypass. Does your 3500 run very hot? Hot enough to heat a small room?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom