Brought philips 936 because of 4K120 VRR, what is the limitation?

billykira

Standard Member
Brought philips 936 OLED about 3 months ago, can the TV do 4K120fps without VRR, I can't test this out due to my gpu being limited to HDMI 2.0b so I can't do 4k120 only 1440p/120, I also can't test out VRR as it only works through display port not hdmi, I brought the TV because it advertised 4K120 VRR support, I now find that it will never get the feature even when I do upgrade my gpu that's HDMI 2.1 VRR compliant. If this is the case how do I go about sending tv back, TV was brought from Box.co.uk. pls help I'm so disappointed as I was going to buy LG c1 but choose philips for ambilight, but I don't want the TV if it doesn't have the most important feature I wanted...

next010

Distinguished Member
The Philips 936 supports HDMI-VRR & AMD Freesync over HDMI.

Nvidia do use HDMI-VRR just branded as G-Sync compatible over HDMI so you can force it on though for some without Nvidia certification the results can be unsuitable.

Nvidia support HDMI-VRR on RTX-3xxx, RTX-2xxx, GTX-16xx

AMD support Freesync on most of their GPU's going back several years.

Due to the dual chipset configuration in the 935 its limited to half vertical resolution in 120Hz mode, this is with and without VRR it makes no difference. It is not possible to correct this according to Philips.

So it depends on whether you can live with the softer image in 120Hz mode or stick with 60Hz output for full resolution.

billykira

Standard Member
What can I do to send tv back? I brought it from box, I've had it for 2 months 2 weeks, don't want it because it can't do 4k120fps with or without VRR, no matter what review I read on 936 all say 4k120fps VVR. No mention of half refresh rate, how do I go about fighting philips on false advertising.

next010

Distinguished Member
What can I do to send tv back? I brought it from box, I've had it for 2 months 2 weeks, don't want it because it can't do 4k120fps with or without VRR, no matter what review I read on 936 all say 4k120fps VVR. No mention of half refresh rate, how do I go about fighting philips on false advertising.

I would assume you must contact box and ask about returns.

But if you want to keep the TV do you actually see a visual difference between 60hz and 120Hz output, if no then its nothing to really worry about.

billykira

Standard Member
On this TV their is a huge diffrence, for Example in game mode or monitor mode on 936 it shows its displaying 60hz @4K yet games look more like 50fps, changing to any other mode other than game or monitor gives you true 60fps, in game mode the diffrence between 60/120 is night & day. thier is so so much wrong with this TV of which i hadnt a clue.

I think i will ask Box tomorrow if they will accept return, this TV wasnt ment for gaming at all & philips, TP vision should have stated that from the start,

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom