im new to the av receiver and dont know much

Last edited:
as my old lg surround sound speakers are 4 ohms

and the receiver is 8ohms i need the lot

5.1 surround dont really want to pay over £200

is that asking to much ??

im new to the av receiver and dont know much

Ok this (for me) poses a few questions.

How big is the room they will be going in to?

Will it be for just for films or music as well?

Do you have to have them all at once or can you spread it over a couple of pay packets?

I ask this because you asked about subs on another thread, and for £200, a 5.1 speaker set usually comes with a sub and satilite speakers which sound ok, but you probably may want to upgrade after a while.
Above that and you can get a decent set of fronts with matching center 1 month and rears the next month. The rears do not have to be same make as fronts or cost as much as they are only really used for the whooshing sound effects, IMO. You may have to wait a little while for it to be completed which i know you dont want, but i bet you a kings ransom you will be happier with the end results.
If you are willing to look at secondhand speakers, you could get some excellent speakers, Floorstander and/or Bookshelfs, and could possibly get them all at once.

Last edited:
the room is 24ft buy 18ft

it will be for watching sky hd and blu ray movies

im not bothered if i can only get the front and subwoofer first of all

to me its all about the look of the speakers and if there wall montable

i didnt post that i needed a sub but after looking at the str dh800 manual its a 8ohms

then i looked at my lg ht903 speakers and they say 4 ohms so thought dame it i need the speakers as well

any advice is welcomed mate

ive got 2 logik speakers would they be ok to use for the time being as there 8ohms

thank you

regards darren

Q acoustics do a good range of bookshelf, surround and floor standers all with speaker stands and/or wall mounts too :)

im happy to look at anything please link the pages please

the room is 24ft buy 18ft

it will be for watching sky hd and blu ray movies

im not bothered if i can only get the front and subwoofer first of all

to me its all about the look of the speakers and if there wall montable

I hear you about the looks. Makes a world of difference

Wharfdale 9.0's or 10's are a very good speakers and wall mountable WHARFEDALE from Richer Sounds

The 9's can got from around £40 -£60 depending if your nearest store still has them. I have a pair of 9.0 and have used them on my main setup and my daughters little setup and sounds very good on both. I currently used them as rears as i have AE Neo 3's floorstanders for fronts, but can be used as fronts. All down to preference.

The 10's start at the top of your budget (£200) but from reading users experience with them, Money well spent. The DIA CC is the matching center.

i didnt post that i needed a sub but after looking at the str dh800 manual its a 8ohms

I still suggest a BK Gemini Mkll but for £150 this can be had. Not sure of performance so a little research will be required.

then i looked at my lg ht903 speakers and they say 4 ohms so thought dame it i need the speakers as well

Pack them in a box and flog them. :D

ive got 2 logik speakers would they be ok to use for the time being as there 8ohms

They are not really known for making peakers but possibly can be used for the time being. More info required, i'e Model number, wpc, to give a better answer.

Last edited:
I hear you about the looks. Makes a world of difference

Wharfdale 9.0's or 10's are a very good speakers and wall mountable WHARFEDALE from Richer Sounds

The 9's can got from around £40 -£60 depending if your nearest store still has them. I have a pair of 9.0 and have used them on my main setup and my daughters little setup and sounds very good on both. I currently used them as rears as i have AE Neo 3's floorstanders for fronts, but can be used as fronts. All down to preference.

i see there 6ohms and my str dh800 said 8ohms would that be a problem ???

i went 50 miles round trip to richer sounds today so wont beable to go back soon

The 10's start at the top of your budget (£200) but from reading users experience with them, Money well spent. The DIA CC is the matching center.

I still suggest a BK Gemini Mkll but for £150 this can be had. Not sure of performance so a little research will be required.

Pack them in a box and flog them. :D

sold them to the farther inlaw with the surround sound dvd player :D

They are not really known for making peakers but possibly can be used for the time being. More info required, i'e Model number, wpc, to give a better answer.

thank you

i see there 6ohms and my str dh800 said 8ohms would that be a problem ???

No, between 4 and 8ohms is fine

sold them to the farther inlaw with the surround sound dvd player

Nice one :thumbsup:

so 4 ohms are fine for the sony str dh800

i dont get it in the manual it said 8ohms

sorry about the questions but im new to this :)

so 4 ohms are fine for the sony str dh800

i dont get it in the manual it said 8ohms

sorry about the questions but im new to this :)

It is the manufacturers recommended speaker max ohms rating and is i suppose, best to get speakers at that rating for best results with no damaged done.

Although proper speakers are usually 6 or 8 ohms, most amps, whether av or stereo can handle as low as 4ohms -i.e bi-wiring speakers - unless specifically designed not to (anyone - feel free to correct me if i'm talking jibberish) I'm not saying go to against what the manual says as that would be wreckless and silly, but you have some leeway with that.

The SV50 - Havent heard it but have done the SW160 subwoofer here -Pioneer Europe as a friend had it.

It sounded very good except that the build construction left alot to be desired. Started rattling after a couple of months. This comes without the satilites speakers.

HK - a user on the forum bought a set http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...-1-speakers-179-99-delivered-ebay-seller.html. why dont you PM them and get their opinion on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom