Brothers in Arms: Which format?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Munkey Boy, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    So Brothers In Arms: Road to Hill 30 is due soon (18 March IIRC) on both PC and Xbox. Thing is, I can't decide which one to get, and the deciding factor is online play for me.

Seeing as Live play is so superior to PC online (IMHO obviously for voice, friends list, consistent gamertags and all that before anyone has a go) I was wondering if anyone had heard about the online side of this game? If its not going to be up to scratch online, I'll take the cheaper, improved graphics on the PC. But if its going to be good on Live, I take the Xbox version. So, anyone heard about the online features?

2. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,752
    Looking at all the reviews at places like IGN, Gamespot and team xbox it would seem that this is going to be a really good game.

The live play is slightly different as it allows 4 people to each take control of a four man team (2 play Allies, 2 play Germans) you then have work as a 2 team unit to eliminate the opposition.

Looks like being subtley different. I would read the reviews on IGN etc, but i reckon it looks a good game

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    Sounds interesting. PC Zone gave it 87%, but mentioned something about being innovative online... Going to read the reviews now...

4. scary

scary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Its very good. Played it in NYC on Tuesday. Imagine tactics and control similar (a little more arcadey) to Full Spec Warior, gameplay of Rainbow 6 and story & weapons akin to that of Medal of Honor. Gorgeous graphics, gorey and swearing (in WWII sim seems weird, but feasible!!!). I'll be buying this on XB for sure. I played multiplayer (sys-link in games store) and it was superb, control your teams (1 or 2 lots). Game seems to be based around pinning your enemy with supression fire, and flanking them. Ingenius control system (its is UBISOFT after all), with a really unique feature that lets you pause the 'battlefield' and zooms out to a birdseye-esque view that you can use to plan your attack. Good 9/10 for this game. Hmmm.... I'll shut up now cos the original poster wanted to know about on-line play for this... and I dont know. That said, I would consider it to be a very similar setup like RS3 on XB in that respect.

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    No, its all interesting Scary, thanks for that report. Sounds very promising, like I say, I just hadn't heard anything of the multiplayer. I like the way its based on a true story (Band of Brothers stylee) with recognisable places - I went to Normandy some time ago, so am hoping it'll bring back the memories.

I like the squad based movement, like Full Spectrum Warrior (I loved that), but you actually get to shoot this time. Could be very interesting online, a bit different anyways. And I thought swearing was invented in the 1960's by those evil hippies? Surely no-one swore in WWII? ;)

6. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You may or may not have seen the preview of the multiplayer HERE
    It sounds like it doesn't have a reticule for aiming and that it uses the actual guns sights, which is a good twist. I must admit, I think it is currently on my 'to buy' list for the Xbox.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    So is this actually a FPS? Full Spectrum Warrior put me off simply because you never ever got to shoot...

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    Yes, it is, just with Full Spectrum elements thrown in too. Have decided on the Xbox version now - hope to see some of you online later this week with this one...

9. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have this game already so far I dont think very much of it
    unless its gets better as you go further into the game or the online side of it
    makes it better I wont be bothering with this one

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    What's lacking that makes it poor?

11. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe its the case of it just not for some people might like it
    but then again maybe i need to play a bit more of it

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Looks a great game - Gamespot game it 9.2 and the readers score is 9.5! Some very high scores indeed. The game looks great as well from the screenshots i've seen. They also rave about the multiplayer being fantastic & unlike anything yet seen on Live. It seems that it's very tactical & fully team based so none of the usual running around firing at everything that moves behavior here. May have to get this one! :thumbsup:

13. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes does look very good. I've pre ordered it from Play so hopefully will have it for next weekend.

14. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :clap:
    Got mine from Play this morning(they posted it out on monday :smashin: )
    Played a few levels on single player. Very impressed so far, good graphics and great sound - no music during the game which adds to the realistic approach. Guns are a bugger to use looking down the sights, single shot etc but again all adds to the gameplay. This should be superb on live - hopefully there will be somebody on tonight so i can try the Live stuff out.

15. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can you turn those strange symbols off above the heads of emeny soldiers, i think there red, they do look a bid odd?

16. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No i dont think you can - But you really need them as there no way on some levels you can see the enemy without those symbols, due to all the cover.

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Yeah I heard in WWII enemy troops ran around with floating symbols over their heads, just so you could see them :D

18. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  19. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    I have it now too! Got the limited edition tin, which has a DVD, small war diary and some postcards too. Looks good, will put up my impressions here when I've had a go.

20. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,459
    You can turn them off, if you go to Game Options and switch Suppression Indicators to off.

21. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Dont forget its in the Game 99p offer - so theres no excuse for not trying it out.

22. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    £27.99 in Dixons with Ltd Edition Tin!!!!

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Just traded in 4 crap games (dancing stage megamix :rotfl:, F12002, Luigis Mansion & NHL Hits 2003) for it at Game. I'll give it a bash now! :thumbsup:

24. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    And just what were you doing owning this game in the first place? let me guess it was for the wife? :rotfl: tough yorkshire man dancing around the front room on dancing stage megamix what is the world coming to?. :D ;)

25. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    For video footage of gthom playing dance stage megamix click my name(above my avatar) and view my public profile! :rotfl:

26. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    LMFAO That's fuuny :rotfl: :smashin:

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    :rotfl: :D :rotfl: :D

Class!! Would you know it's worked as well, i've shed a few pounds since I first took to the dance mat.

Let's just say it wasn't one of my game choices (honest). I did try it once and the results were quite scary, I stopped after a couple of mins after I feared an impending heart attack!

Anyway been playing the one player BIA and it's class! I love the way that you can easily give team orders and how strategy plays a vital part in the game - Best FPS game i've played in a long time, mainly due to the strategy element! :thumbsup:

28. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Been playing a good bit on Live tonight.
    First the bad points..
    Loading is slow (same as single player)
    The voice is a bit laggy/delayed.
    Theres a weird bug that just happens at random that causes your player to move really slowly - lasts about 30 seconds :confused: Everyone i played with had encountered this bug.
    Good points...
    No real lag - no one teleporting etc.
    Great looking levels/Graphics
    Good missions
    Plays really well.

A must buy :thumbsup:

29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Not played it on live yet (far to engrosed in the superb 1 player game) but I had a quick look at the split screen mode and that looks cool!

The more I play this game the more I love it! I can see that this is one 1 player game that will get completed a few times. Not played that much yet, i'm on the 2nd level of D Day +1. The squad commands are superb & very easy to use and it's great fun comanding the tank about on the D Day + 1 levels.

Personally this is the kind of shooter i've been waiting for for ages! Tactics really work and to be honest they are absolutely essential in this game. There's no Call of Duty charging in single handed stuff here! The maps are great and there are usually several ways you can tackle a situation. Generally though the idea is that you use either a fire squad or a tank to pin down the enemy and then you flank the enemy position with an assault squad who takes them out. You can particapate in what ever part you like whether it be providing supressing fire for your assault squad or actually doing the assault yourself. I also find that this game is perfect for the X-Box joypad as the strategy element means that it's not the fast action affair that Halo2 is. You will also be using all of the buttons on the pad (apart from start which is obviously just pause) pretty constantly and they are all well to hand on the joypad.

This game also has superb graphics (some of the best i've ever seen on the X-Box) and you always feel that you're part of the bigger picture. Planes will crash around you and the sky is always full of planes and flak fire. Landscapes actually go on for ever and they aren't just flat backdrops. Most FPS games give you the feeling that you are just going down a rather narrow level & that there is no "world" beyond the bushes that line the path that you are on. With BIA you don't ever get that feeling.

I agree with Captain! This is a must buy!! :thumbsup:

I'll have to give you a game online sometime cap :smashin: .

30. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    As with most new games i've got recently the first thing i did was go straight on live with it so what the single player game is like i've no idea but i bet its good. managed to play about 7 or so game with 2 mates and A N Other which were all superb games, although not sure what was going on a couple of times, but as with any game its all about knowing the maps etc. have to say they need to fix the voice(communicator) in this game as i could always hear myself speaking(not a good thing) but other than this small niggle the game is fantastic with the strategy required set at just the right level for idiots like me. And just for info if your host a game that you set to allow 4 players to play you can still play with just 3 people in the room with the guy on his own controlling both fire and assault teams, therefore making the game rock hard!