1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brothers in arms, what's your opinion?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by ELV, Mar 19, 2005.

1. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just played it for a few hours yesterday but seems excellent, especially the aim view, theres no cross hair and you look right down the barrel makes for a much better experience, however if your after something simillar to COD or MOHAA then it's a totally different animal, more of a strategy game with FPS tilt, the control system for your teams is pretty good and you can turn those red suppresion symbols off ,which was my only gripe. The graphics are excellent, however if your buying it for the kids be warned that there quite a bit of effin and blindin, all in all well worth the 25 quid i payed for it from play!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Just completed the original Brothers In Arms: Road To Hill 30 :thumbsup:

I came late to this series, I played Brothers In Arms 3: Hells Highway and quite enjoyed it. The squad based tactics were fun, the weapons were okay and the tank sequences gave variety to the gameplay. Well if that game was good, so I thought, I'll try the game that spawned it. I wish I hadn't.

I can forgive dull textures, lack of effort in design, long and boring voice overs as an introduction to each level, checkpoints and just about everything else. I can't forgive:
    - The fact if the reload sequence had included a big onscreen message saying "I'm sorry, your gun is unavailable at this time, please try later!" then it would only have been marginally more annoying.
    - The melee combat is the worst I have ever seen - no sound effect, hit and miss whether it engages the target and has no 'feel' to it.
    - The weapons, clearly in order to force squad use, are rubbish. Precision shots may or may not hit their target.
    - Ammo is sparce for the weapons forcing you to pick up even worse guns from those you have shot.
    - Throwing grenades has a similar feel to throwing feathers.
    - Enemy AI is terrible.
    - Squad AI is even worse.
    - Squad tanks, a nice idea, have even worse AI than the squads and can't reverse.
    - Enemy tanks have worse AI still - they auto lock onto you the player and ignore everyone else.
    - Key presses can be very unresponsive - annoying when picking up weapons or trying to press a key to grenade a tank.
    - The tactical map is rubbish.
    - Preventing me moving whilst I am being 'instructed' or 'talked to'.
    - When slewed to 3rd person perspective (for example when manning a tank machine gun) the view is frequently obscured by trees!

All I can say is I would rate Brothers In Arms: Road To Hill 30 as 1 / 10 and find it amazing that the series survived long enough to spawn a half-decent game like Hells Highway. I am going to give Earned In Blood a play and see where that sits in the gulf between the first and third games.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I thought it was fairly average.

4. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,759
    Great song :thumbsup:

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Well just completed Earned In Blood and have to say most of my gripes with the original hold true for the sequel. Infact they seem to have made the weapons worse than the original by dropping any sort of reload function making gunfights - or even supression of the enemy - a wholey unsatisfying experience. That said clearly alot more effort went into level design in Earned In Blood and accordingly the squad tactics worked better. Overall I would rate Brothers In Arms: Earned In Blood as 3 / 10. IMHO anyone looking at this series should start (and for the moment) end with Hells Highway.

6. namuk

namuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    First one was Class :smashin:, second one was Boring and never finished it.. but i have Hell's highway to play..

7. mrbobc

mrbobc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    i liked hells highway! its all about gameplay in the end and i thought it was a good game.

you can pick holes in anything but i enjoyed the game

8. CraigofScotland

CraigofScotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +773
    Its a console FPS

So it will fail on the pc as most console ports do.

Go buy Red Orchestra if you want to get a good PC FPS. (online only)