Brothers in Arms SACD

Timh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So today I noticed the super Audio CD logo on my Pioneer Bluray player.
I thought I would give it a go so ordered Dire Straits Brothers in Arms on SACD.
I have never heard SACD before so am looking forward to it.
Am I in for a treat?

I like SACD for multi-channel.
My first system had a decent Pioneer DVD player and I loved it for multi-channel SACD.
I think you are in for a treat. Brothers in Arms is pretty decent. Dark Side of the Moon is a reference disc for the format in my opinion.
I think you will be pleased at how good it sounds.
stasis.

I have Dark side of the moon on vinyl but no way to play it [emoji20]
Might purchase that on SACD if I'm really impressed with Brothers in Arms

Cheers

If you like Floyd you will enjoy the SACD of DSOTM.
The Blu-ray of Roger Waters, The Wall live concerts should look and sound good on your projector.
The sound track is really good in both stereo and surround and your projector will give it scale.

stasis

Yes,, liked Floyd since the early 80's
I'll add The Wall to my list, just found out it has Dolby Atmos.
More upgrades coming soon by looks of it :)

Thanks

Ah, a new convert to the near dying format. There's some crackers still out there, many are difficult to find now but you should still have some fun starting out.

If you like Floyd you should really track down WYWH on SACD aswell, for my taste it sounds even better than DSOTM. Also Roger Waters Amused To Death on SACD which is one of the few recent multi-channel releases and sounds simply amazing to my ears.

Enjoy, Brothers In Arms isn't up there with the very best SACD examples, but it is a good one. And yes you are in for a treat if you haven't experienced the format before :)

Heads up, there are three different versions of brothers in arms on SACD.
The 20th anniversary one is multichannel and probably the best one , the most recent is an SHM- SACD from japan with stereo only and no better than the CD.

There are a lot of very recent Japanese releases with stereo only, not to be confused with the much better earlier releases.

The 20th anniversary one is multichannel and probably the best one , the most recent is an SHM- SACD from japan with stereo only and no better than the CD.

There are a lot of very recent Japanese releases with stereo only, not to be confused with the much better earlier releases.
Large intake of breath!
Just checked and it's the 20th Anniversary one I've ordered :)

Large intake of breath!
Just checked and it's the 20th Anniversary one I've ordered :)

Thats good ,
For the Record ,
Best one = 2005 20th Anniversary , Stereo & Multichannel Vertigo Catalog number 9871498

The Others .... both stereo only ...
2013 MFSL catalog number UDSACD 2099
2014 SHM SACD Japan catalog number UIGY 9547

Ah, a new convert to the near dying format. There's some crackers still out there, many are difficult to find now but you should still have some fun starting out.

Yes, its been dying for ten years now I believe, but still there are plenty of new releases every year though they do tend to be limited releases.
Classical releases are the most prolific.
My collection of just SACD is now 500 plus strong.
The originals of some titles are now hard to get and changing hands for silly money.

Yes, its been dying for ten years now I believe, but still there are plenty of new releases every year though they do tend to be limited releases.
Classical releases are the most prolific.
My collection of just SACD is now 500 plus strong.
The originals of some titles are now hard to get and changing hands for silly money.

Yeah, it is still hanging on thankfully. Actually Audio Fidelity are one of the shining lights in still releasing multi-channel SACD outside of Classical lately. Most non-stereo are 4.0 quad conversions but still.

Audio Fidelity 24K Gold CDs, Hybrid SACDs and 180g Vinyl LPs | Audio Fidelity

Bought Billy Joel: Streetlife Serenade a while back and it sounds superb in 4.0 IMO, love it.

[EDIT]Speaking of, just noticed this one.... Bob Dylan LIVE 1964

Strange they didn't just make active use of the sub by making it a 5.1, can't remember seeing a 5.0 before.

Thats good ,
For the Record ,
Best one = 2005 20th Anniversary , Stereo & Multichannel Vertigo Catalog number 9871498
That's the one I've ordered :)

Got it yet? what do you think?

I also noticed an SACD logo on my Blu Ray player and ordered the 20th anniversary version.

the saxophone on Your Latest Trick sends shivers down my spine every time :)

Yes, very impressed with it.
Sounds like Mark Knopflers sitting in my centre speaker [emoji3]
I also got Stings : Sacred Love also very good sound quality.

Yes, very impressed with it.
Sounds like Mark Knopflers sitting in my centre speaker [emoji3]
I also got Stings : Sacred Love also very good sound quality.

Interesting how some multi channel music mixes anchor, say a vocal or instrument to the centre channel, and some don't, preferring a phantom image instead. I may have to give Sacred Love a try (SQ aside, good album?), I've still got some old Sting albums on DTS CD!

I've only listened to Sacred Love once so far.
Its far from Stings best Album, it an acquired taste but good sound quality.

I've only listened to Sacred Love once so far.
Its far from Stings best Album, it an acquired taste but good sound quality.
Found it on ebay for £1.75 delivered lol
Probably fake but worth a punt at that price! heh heh!

You like BIA huh?
Do you like Steely Dan?
I highly recommend Gaucho if you can find it at a decent price. It's as smooth as a babies bottom....

Sacred Love is quite cheap, I paid less than £3 delivered [emoji3]
Brothers in Arms is very good, great value about £11
Never really listened to Steely Dan, I just skipped through Gaucho on the iTunes Store and I quite liked it, how's the sacd version?

The SACD version is quite lovely, a really nice album. The 5.1 mix is nice. If you can find it for a decent price...?

Got it yet? what do you think?

I also noticed an SACD logo on my Blu Ray player and ordered the 20th anniversary version.

the saxophone on Your Latest Trick sends shivers down my spine every time :)

I'm sure someone on YouTube isolated the centre channel on that track: it's really quite clever how the centre channel instrument is 'dry' and a subtle reverb is added to the other channels only. It must open up a lot of interesting opportunities (mixing in multichannel).

Although I find myself liking modern music less than perhaps the older stuff, I do wish multichannel music was embraced by more modern musicians.
(waiting for a modern album to be released in mono due to sheer laziness/market expectations)

I have the Brothers In Arms SACD 20th Anniversary disc, I am only into the Stereo play not into Multichannel but think that the Stereo version is Great sounds a lot better and clearer that the CD version

I have the Brothers In Arms SACD 20th Anniversary disc, I am only into the Stereo play not into Multichannel but think that the Stereo version is Great sounds a lot better and clearer that the CD version

Agreed, but didnt say it wasn't , its the 2013 and 2014 stereo only releases that are no better than the CD, the MFSL one has the typical MFSL eq, so sounds different but not in a good way IMO.
The SHM SACD is pretty much identical to the CD.

Last edited:
I found that when playing the SACD of Brothers In Arms it is quite a bit louder than the CD version

I found that when playing the SACD of Brothers In Arms it is quite a bit louder than the CD version

It is louder, but loudness does not = better, for comparison , you should level match the CD and SACD , then decide which is better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom