Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Noggleboggleman, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Noggleboggleman

Noggleboggleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    As mentioned in the Summer of Arcade thread.

This is now available for 1200 points.

I've played it and completed it - it probably took about 3 and a half hours altogether and I thought it was incredible. The story, artwork, sound effects, music and variety in gameplay (despite the incredibly simple, sometimes confusing, controls) come together to create a wonderful storytelling experience and I highly recommend it. It's not difficult at all, but it's a joy to experience.

Despite it being very little like Limbo, the whole atmosphere reminded me of it.

There are a bunch of very talented people at the studio behind this game.

2. noisecrime

noisecrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Surprised there aren't more replies in here.

Haven't quite finished it yet, not sure how far through I am, just got to the snowy castle. It is a beautiful game in every way, in art style and emotion, however I feel the game play is letting it down at the moment. I enjoy the added complexity having to operate both sticks to control each brother brings, but the puzzles are very simplistic and there is never any challenge. I feel that for all the purposive gameplay i'm just really turning pages in a book, a good book mind you, but still a book.

Its definitely a move in the right direction though, they just needed to add some challenge to the game and provide some actual choices, something to give playing it meaning, beyond the meaning and experience gained from the journey.

Though talking of the journey, I do find Brothers to be probably the most 'magical' i've ever played, it seems to be tie-ing into a large amount of childhood memories of reading fairytales and fantasy books, including some flashbacks to old childhood picture books. Something that i've always been puzzled as to why games haven't latched onto it before.

Sure you have all your RPG and D&D stuff, but that's not actually the same as the fairy tales, myths and legends that I read or watched as a kid. The same games feature magic in abundance yet are rarely magical in the same sense. I think modern computer games have just been too bogged down in stats and too much gaming legacy to really tap into this stuff much. Just walking through the giants causeway in this game was a breath-taking experience.

I get the feeling they have tapped in local folklore quite a bit for this story, with the developers based in Sweden. Nothing specific to Sweden exactly, just an overall feeling I get.

Maybe i'll change my mind by the end, but so far I found Papo & Yo far more emotionally powerful, though its puzzles are probably even easier than those in Brothers.

Edit:
    Just finished the game (was about 75% of the way through before). Very good, if a little predictable and I'd still rate Papo & Yo higher for emotional attachment. Sadly the game mechanics never really develop and I still feel that for much of it despite having to solve puzzles I was little more than turning pages. However at the end of the game I got stuck for a moment and the solution was brilliant. It really helped elevate the experience even higher in my opinion.

Its also nice that i've only got about 5 achievements, despite taking my time and I thought thoroughly exploring everything. A few of the ones I missed look obviously to get, but some might be harder to work out. It just makes a change from being given achievements for every random little thing, or doing X Y number of times or completing the game.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  3. DeAdSoUls

DeAdSoUls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Gonna get this when it comes out on XBLA:smashin::D

4. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,233
    It's funny, I used to snap up games constantly but since I've 'lost' so much money on games which have subsequently been reduced I don't even bother my arse about new releases, if it gets a good discount i'll jump in, if not then it's been a wasted effort.

Far more games should do what super meat boy did and release at a reduced price.

5. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,683
    normally i would wait until this sort of game became 800 points but just like the walking dead i would buy a game if i enjoyed it even if it was too short.

i bought it but i haven't started it yet.

6. noisecrime

noisecrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    It came out on Tuesday, thats how we are playing it ;)

I'd say it definitely fits that category as long as you aren't looking for an action packed game to race through and can be happy to spend time simply enjoying the experience of the journey.

Its no Walking Dead though, there is minimal actual story, no dialog, no 'telling' of story either, your journey is the story, which is quite nice as for a change I was coming across interesting places, creatures and events in this world and was able to daydream my own back story for them.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. Noggleboggleman

Noggleboggleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I agree with all the comments - it's like playing a fairy tale. No challenge really, but a fantastic experience. I may play through it again, which is high praise from me as it's something I rarely do (Fallout 3 is the only game I've done so with).

8. noisecrime

noisecrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    ha, the first thing I did after the credits finished was start a new game ;)

Just a shame they couldn't come up with something more to add to a second playthrough. Not sure what that would be, don't think I really want anything as asinine as collectables in a game like this.

This is my problem with this new style of game, where story or emotional experience placed firmly at the fore is that they frequently do not have engaging gameplay or game mechanics and have even less replayability. However I recognise that as a new or at least adjusted form of gameplay these games are at the vanguard and as such need to be given time to find their footing. I'm sure in time, new gameplay mechanics will evolve and the games too, to provide even greater value.

9. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,683
    completed it now, i enjoyed it, i agree it was short and im surprised they didn't make the game longer.

i still enjoyed playing the game though, and the surprise twist in the game was good too, i never saw that coming.

10. Synax_Injector

Synax_Injector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Looks a really good game and im too suprised theres not more comments about it.

9.99 seems a little steep for 3h game play though :/ might wait for it to come down a little.

11. thefamoushoops

thefamoushoops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Downloaded this earlier and have just finished it.

Very enjoyable but a wee bit short.

12. Synax_Injector

Synax_Injector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Might wait for this to drop in price seeing as everyones saying how short it is :)

13. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Just finished it this morning, it's a really beautiful, moving game and I didn't see that ending coming at all.

Like people say, very short game, even with having to play chapter two twice as I fell fowl of the glitch where you couldn't pick up the key. Luckily I got a few 4200 points cards from Costco a few weeks ago for £23.96 so it only worked out as £6.85 for me :thumbsup:

14. Synax_Injector

Synax_Injector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Still waiting for a small price drop...what with gta...cod..gears..bioshock etc still to play...i can wait...looks really good though