1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brotherhood Of The Wolf ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DodgeTheViper, Nov 18, 2002.

1. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,202
    I'm just about to order this 3 disc set from CD-WOW @ 21.99.
    But, before i do, does it have the DTS track, the website doesn,t say !
    I was also wandering, why is the disc cover on CD-WOW's website different to Movietyme's disc cover picture, when they are both Region 1, so presumably Canadian.

Need help before i order.............;)

Cheers
    Kev

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The 3-disc Canadian set is the one to go for. It has a fantastic DTS soundtrack; I watched the film earlier today and have to say I only thought it was okay but the DTS was awesome.

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,202
    Thanks Carl.

But, that still kinda doesn't answer my query!

Kev

4. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cdwow 3 disc set does include the Awesome DTS soundtrack as thats where i got mine from - Well worth £21.99 :D

5. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    please give me some idea what this film is all about.

I've read snippets but none give much idea what this film is really like.

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Easy Zog - It's a Period Drama / Love Story / Kung Fu / Horror type film & like nothing I've ever seen (think The Matrix meets Dangerous Liaisons) :D
    The DTS is one of the best I've ever heard (& ive got Pte Ryan & LOTR etc)
    Great 3 disc set with 2 discs of extras (not quite as good as LOTR)
    Oh & Monica Bellucci :eek:
    Paul

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Dick Scratcher - are you watching :D

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    The DTS Track is excellent but it´s in French with English subtitles, certainly on the one disc Canadian copy I´ve got. Good film though.:)

9. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Holy Jesus Christ in heaven! Have you all gone bloody mad? I too have Brotherhood Of The Wolf though I have yet to have the pleasure of watching it but, at the risk of being labelled odd, I bought it for the movie. Incredible as it may seem, I don't give a toss if it says DTS on the packaging or not because I bought it for the cinematic experience. My big ******** Denon has all the DD, DTS, THX jiggery pokery that acoustic science can muster, but at the end of the day surely its about the movie. Isn't it?

My thanks to Ian J for the PM that brought this to my attention. In a world where we live on the brink of war we sometimes forget that madness comes in a multitude of forms. You decide which is scarier.

10. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Dick,

I also bought this for the movie but in the end didn't think it was up to much. However, I did think the DTS soundtrack deserved special mention.

You like it, I don't. That's how it goes sometimes...

11. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,202
    Hey Dick!!!

Perhaps i wasn't clear enough. I to, want to buy this disc for the MOVIE itself. It just so happens that there are several versions of it, particulary on the audio side. As i enjoyed the movie so much, in rental fashion, i now want the French version, with good sound to boot!!!
    If we dont ask the questions, how do we learn ?
    Is that OK with you ?

Kev

12. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW! Ugly scenes at the AV Forums. Thought that might get up a few noses though I do think the over riding point may have been missed. By all means get the best version of the movie that you can but PLEASE, DTS is not the be all and end all. Fiddle about with your 'tone' controls and voila, DD can sound just as good (or bad) as DTS. Lip sync is a good old DTS bugbear though thankfully less common nowadays. Just 'cos your spanky new silver and mirror effect AV amp has DTS stamped on it (you know, those three letters that your mates amp hasn't got) doesn't mean that you can only buy movies encoded in DTS.

Can you see where this is going? Read enough about DTS on these forums and you will see that some people just plain won't buy movies if they don't come with a DTS soundtrack. Why the fudge not? Does it affect the picture quality? Are the special effects suddenly a tad lame? Is the story less interesting? Is the acting worse? I'll bet a pound tyo a pinch of sh*t that there are guys out there whose entire collections are DTS ONLY!

Carl, I don't know if I like it yet because I haven't watched it.

Kev, be cool. You want the movie in the original French, now you don't hear that a lot. Kudos to you my friend.

13. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    This thread has gone kinda weird!

Dick, you protest about our comments on the audio front and say it's all about the movie but you haven't seen the movie yet? I thought your comments were because you were upset I didn't like your favourite film or something?!?! Now I'm not sure why you object to people recommending that the DTS soundtrack is great, which it really is (and is only available in French which is another bonus).

I have been buying dts on DVD since the very first full bitrate releases (R1), keen to check out the 'advantages' of the format. I have to say I have never been overly convinced, and the constant reviews which merely claim 'improved spaciousness and tighter bass' just seem plain lazy to me. I certainly think Dolby Digital can sound equally great on my Denon AVCA1SE (without resorting to fiddling with my tone controls), and I would never pass on a disc that didn't include a dts track. To be honest, I mainly watch the DD track as I prefer THX post-processing which cannot be applied to the dts signal correctly until my amp has been upgraded.

I guess I am trying to say that just because I recommend the dts track on this occasion you should not automatically assume I am a dts zealot. Some of us around here are slightly more reasonable and try to recommend something when it is deserved, not just from a defacto standpoint... ;)

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately, too many people do not fit into this category as they have fallen hook, line and sinker for the DTS marketing hype.

Someone last month was complaining that The Last Waltz (live recording of the last concert of The Band) was not available in DTS. This was a 25 year old recording which will be treasured by some for it's historic value yet all this idiot could worry about was that it didn't have his favourite marketing label on the cover.

Before everyone denies that this applies to them, have a look at the Brandswear website where they sell discounted designer gear. A pair of XYZ jeans will be described as "blue denim with branding to the rear and both front pockets". The expensive product is hardly described at all but the all important bit is where the labels appear.

Some DTS tracks are superior to the DD equivalent whilst some DD tracks are equally superior to the DTS equivalent but we will still have members who listen to film soundtracks with their eyes and I, for one will continue to extract the urine out of them.

I am sorry if you are not one of the DTS Bores, Carl but look around you at what people are posting and see for yourself why so many members don't venture into DVD Talk.

Incidentally, I thought that Brotherhood of the Wolf was an excellent film although the ending dragged on a bit. The sound - I don't remember as I was too involved in watching the film to notice and I can't remember whch sound format I watched it in anyway.

15. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Ian,

All good points that I definitely agree with. For way too long dts has been regarded as superior to DD without anyone really showing distinct advantages. As I mentioned I am sick of hearing reviews which just comment on improved 'soundstage, bass, blah blah blah'.

It is perhaps the fact that I didn't enjoy the movie so much that I noticed the soundtrack somewhat more. As you say, when a film draws you in it is difficult to notice such things as you are engrossed in the story. Unfortunately I found myself quite detached in this case and hence became more objective when viewing the movie, almost as if I were reviewing it rather than watching it.

I think in future I won't bother recommending a disc with dts as I'd rather keep it to myself than be branded as one of the zealots we see far too frequently.

I'm gonna find a really good DD mono track to recommend now...

:D

16. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    ... can open - worms everywhere :D
    ... for the record I have no preference (DD5.1 or DTS) but I bought the R1 Canadian 3 disc BOTW coz it had BOTH ... I first tried the DD5.1 dubbed (not a big fan of subtitles) & compared the DTS & ON THIS PARTICULAR DISC - The DTS IMO is far superior
    ... there I've said it
    BTW - Of course the film is the most important aspect of any DVD (I even have some mono & stereo titles) but why shell out on a good quality AV setup & not reap the rewards ... Paul ;)

17. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    From Russia with love is a good one.

18. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,202
    Anyway.......................................

I now have the Canadian 3-Disc set of the movie, and it has everything that i wanted.............:D

Cheers
    Kev

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I recently had a dem of high definition tape which is as far in advance of DVD as DVD is of the humble VCR. The pictures were absolutely stunning but it will never catch over here as the tapes only carry Dolby Digital :D

Mozzer,

I hope that you enjoy the film - it seems to be one that people either love or hate with very little middle ground but the only way to watch it is in French with the subtitles on.

PS The butler did it.

20. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,202
    I have seen the movie already, and now wanted to own it. I did indeed want the original French version, which was the basic premise of me starting the thread in the first place, and seeking advice!!! Then it went tit's up................ :rolleyes:

Ahh well never mind.
    Kev

21. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carl,

Yeah, things kinda went a little swoopy back there. Check what I said and you will find no criticism of BOTW, simply because I haven't had the chance to watch it yet. Rest assured that I'll be giving it a whirl pretty bloody quickly after all that. My comments were obviously a generalisation and can be easily applied wherever those three particular letters are mentioned. You are not one of the nutters who worship the God of DTS therefore you have no reason to be inflamed by what I said. I do think though that a little hair pulling in the forums does wonders for the debate. Nothing wrong with a bit of provocation I say.

Oh by the way, I'll be posting a little something soon which will deal with the visual aspect of movies, just to balance things up a bit.

22. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Dick,

I hope you're not gonna question whether the extra bitrate for dts could be detrimental to picture quality! That would be a hornets nest...

:D