Brotherhood of the Wolf Canadian 3 disc Pic quality?

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read on other forums that the Canadian 3 disker is riddled with compression artifacts leading to a rather disappointing picture performance. Having got the stunning looking UK disc and not the Canadian release I just wondered if it was true or not. Apparently it pales in comparison to the US and the original French release, too.

Is this right? The UK disc is reference quality visually, I can't believe that the English speaking fans holy grail of this film could have been screwed up so badly (if it is in fact the case).

Can anyone confirm this?

Only one noticable problem on mine, a small blue dot flashes up in the middle of the film for about a quarter of a second, or maybe less, real blink of the eye stuff. It's noticable but in a film that's around three hours long I'm really not fussed.
I've heard talk of picture grain, but I haven't noticed anything, maybe someone whose seen it through a PJ would have a different opinion but to me it's a great, near reference quality disc.

I have thje 2 disc special edition from HMV and was quite disappoited with the Picture Quality.

I wouldn't say its anywhere near reference quality. The picture is very grainy on my denon 3800.

Not bad film though!

I be able to say how it looks for me when it turns up from CD-WOW tomorrow. I canceled my R2 two disk jobbie because of the lack of a French DD soundtrack and ordered the Canadian version instead. I hope it has french writing on the cover.:p

Only flicked through it - was reveling in the low-end too much (see post in speakers) but it seemed fine to me,will take a closer look later on.The Dts track is `warm`

I have read that the US version has much better picture quality than the Canadian version.

I think they have screwed up the picture by putting two DD 5.1 tracks and a DTS 5.1 track on one disc.

The US just has the English and French DD 5.1.

The picture is fine :)

It is a little grainy but nothing to get concerned about and thats on a 7ft screen. It is very sharp too :)

I watched it with the English 5.1 track and was smiling from the minute it started. It is louder than most DD tracks from other DVD's at the same given volume and the bass is awesome.

The DD 5.1 is absoloutly fantastic in the first fight sequence and you feel as if your in the middle of it :D

The dubbing i felt was pretty poor to start with but after the first half hour you forget about it or it seems better.

The first 5 - 10 minutes is deffinately DD 5.1 demo material and there is plenty of low bass throughout the movie.

I'm very glad I risked this as an impulse buy and will be holding on to it :)

The picture is fine
Which version do you have ? I've ordered the single disk Region 1 from Future Entertainment so totally confused as to which version (USA or Canada) I'll be getting. Knowing my luck it won't be the best one :(

Allan

As the thread title I have the Canadian 3 Disc edition.
From Movityme.

Just recieved my copy from CD-wow, Hong Kong to London in two days now thats what I call service. What a massive box, Ooo Err.:blush:

Had a quick look at it this afternoon and it don't look half bad on a widescreen TV. The Bit rate averages out at around 7kbps which isn't low at all considering the length of the film and the number of soundtracks on the disk. You can see a bit of film grain during some scene but thats the film not the transfer as far as i'm aware. How bassy is the DTS track.:eek:

Got 3 disc set today..agree about Dts Soundtrack, totally out shines DD 5.1

picture quality on my Canadian 1 discer is awesome..:) my fav film (DVD) this year so far after LOTR..:)

Picture on my Canadian 3 discer is excellent & the movie is easily the best period horror kung-fu love story I have ever seen :D
Paul

Ive checked out the 3 - Discer and compared it to my 2 discer from HMV, can't tell between the two really. They both seem a little grainy on my Denon 3800.
DTS on the 3 discer is Amazing though!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom