Xionn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So for a new house, we have bought the Monitor Audio Bronze B5 AV which consists of the following:

Bronze 5 floorstanding speakers
Bronze Centre
Bronze FX surround speakers
Bronze W10 subwoofer

I had a question about the Bronze FX surround sound speakers (which have a di-pole (diffused) or bi-pole (direct) option):

showimage.php

Our sofa will be against the wall, and we have some space on the left and right of the wall (around 91cm on the left side and 60cm on the right side). The sofas are quite long and cover the majority of the back wall (couldn't find a long sofa example below so placed two) leaving only a bit of room left and right, enough for a speaker stand for sure, but these speakers seem to be most suited on the walls.

Here is a quick layout to show an example:

Rd6l24g.jpg

Would these speakers be fine in the locations placed above?

Thanks all :)

(These will be hooked up to a Denon AVR-X2200W using QED XT40 cables)

That is how I have my RXFX's - it works fine.

Ah good to hear meduk1! What mode do you have them set to out of curiosity?

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm. I think there in dipole mode but I'm not 100% certain.

I have to admit that I didn't notice much of a difference in the different types of modes.

I previously ran them on the wall directly behind the sofa but prefer the side approach.

This graphic very simply explains the difference between BI-Pole and DI-Pole -

bi-di-pole-1-jpg.535579

In an open room where the seating is not against the back wall, Di-Pole would probably work best at the Sides.

But in the Rear or when the seating is against the wall, I speculate that Bi-Pole would work best.

Though feel free to try them both.

Steve/bluewizad

Positioning is fine, and you run them in bi-pole. Di-pole is only used when you are running two pairs of fx speakers in a 7.1 setup.

Di-pole is only used when you are running two pairs of fx speakers in a 7.1 setup.
No you can use either mode for 5.1, but you are correct that they have to be used in dipole when using two pairs of RXFX in 7.1.

Yeah I suppose you can use Di-pole as 5.1, but generally not.
Had a quick look in the manual and it says a similar thing, does depend exactly on what sounds best in location.

Mine is like that. Sounds fine and same speakers. I pull my sofa out a ft or two when watching anything decent. Found it helps get the sound behind you but not essential.

Well after a lot of debating, I ended up swapping the Bronze FX's with Bronze 1 speakers for the sides, especially as the sofa is against the back wall and there is only a little space on the sides. I spoke to the technical team at Monitor Audio and they also advised I don't use the FX in that position and swap (he advised a few speakers, and went for Bronze 1). The sound will end up bouncing off the back wall too much as it's so close. Will see what it's like! Going to mount them on the sides wall, facing the seating area.

See for you it might be ok because they are further away than mine. If I ran BX1 the sound would be very localised. I also run in dipole as I sit in the dipole 'null'. I'm sure in my case I do get some reflected sound off the backwall, but as its not the end of the world for surround effects in my opinion.

Hi, I have the same question and I'm wondering if I can hijack this thread. I've got the same 5.1 speakers arriving tomorrow and I'm not sure were to place my FX surrounds. My seated position is about 2 meters from the back wall and 2.5 meters from the front wall where the TV is.

I understand that the FX speakers in a 5.1 setup are designed to be on the side wall behind the listener, rather than the back wall? A problem is, is that my setup is in an open plan lounge with a wall only on one side. However there is a pillar on the open plan side which might accommodate the FX speaker, however this pillar will be pretty much level with the seated position, rather than behind.

So is it better to have the rear FX speakers about two meters behind me, or to the side?

Thanks!

I'm running the FX speakers in a very similar way but, due to the shape of my living room, they are on the back wall rather than side walls. I use them in the bipole setting and, as mentioned above, pull the sofa away from the back wall a little when watching a movie 'properly ';)

I use Bronze 1's in the bedroom system so have tried those to see if the FX's were reflecting too much but I found the sound to be far too localised for my taste and preferred the slightly more diffused sound from the FX's.

Best bet is to try it mate and see which position you prefer. I used long speaker cables and some step ladders to mock up different locations.

Thanks guys, and the height is also important? I've heard that you want them at about ear height in your sitting position, and as you go higher the sound quality is worse?

Again, try it.

Mine were about 2ft above ear level. When I fitted Atmos I lowered them by about ft. The closer they are to you, the higher you might want them to avoid localisation.

A lot is personal preference though.

Mine are a bit higher than I would like...since adding the height speakers I have thought about lowering them but they would then be very close to the listening position.

As they are fixed to the wall it's not an easy thing to try though.

Mine are a bit higher than I would like...since adding the height speakers I have thought about lowering them but they would then be very close to the listening position.

As they are fixed to the wall it's not an easy thing to try though.

I won't show the tower I balanced mine on to test it. It made me grimace and walk around the room very very slowly.

I won't show the tower I balanced mine on to test it. It made me grimace and walk around the room very very slowly.

Ha ha, can imagine as I have looked at mine and wondered about what I could prop them on. One is above the end of the sofa and the other above a side table so it would be....interesting:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom