Bronze 5 floor and Bronze Centre OR Radius 270 floor and 225 centre

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by richardjyoung, May 5, 2017.

1. richardjyoung

richardjyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have KEF KHT2005.3 5.1 egg speaker including a KEF Kube 2 subwoofer linked to a Denon AVR-X2300W AV amp. For me, the system is more than adequate for 5.1 cinema surround sound but less than perfect for stereo music. I really do miss having a traditional, dedicated 'hi-fi' two-speaker system but there is not room for both.

I am moving to a house with a bigger living room. I hope to improve the sound quality for steeo music by simply swapping out the three front Kefs for two floor speakers and a centre speaker.

I am very drawn to the Monitor Audio range. The white ash finish works for the aesthetics of the room - my wife can live with either. Monitor Audio offer two options:

1. the small footprint Radius range 270 floors and 225 centre or

2. the larger and surprisingly cheaper Bronze 5 floor and Bronze Centre

The room is 18 ‘ by 16’

I will listen before I buy but by way of research I have two questions

1. has anyone else out there compared the Radius and Bronze 5 systems. I cannot find any comparison reviews.
    2. I can save £00's of £s by keeping the Kef subwoofer and eggs as back speakers. This means mixing-and-matching. Is this a really bad idea?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,709
    If you really like the look of either then it's best to let your ears decide. If you get auditions I'm sure the retailer could link them up with the Denon 2300 as it is one of the most popular units available. As for using your old Eggs as surrounds I cannot see that causing any problems at all. Same goes for the KEF sub although there are better available.

You will hear a difference with stereo music when upgrading the fronts from the Eggs, I certainly did by just going from 3005 Eggs to R100s with a Denon AVR 2310. Moving up the speaker chain, this time with a Denon X6200 from R100s to R300s brought even more depth and detail although both speaker and receiver quality had much to do with it.

KEF really do suit the Denon's signature and it may be worth your while waiting a little to see how the new Q Serie pans out, the new Q550, available in white, being in the same ball park as the Radius and the Bronze and would certainly blend perfectly with the old Eggs.

Main thing though is to audition and buy the ones that put the biggest smile on your face. Just put your foot down when the wife disagrees, I mean, what do they know.:D

3. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    The radius 270 are actually really good speakers for their size. Of course it is hard to beat some "bigger" boxes but sometimes the wife has a say! I have the 270 mixed with a Silver centre and sub (I had lots of space on the AV stand so size not a big issue) and the soundstage still matches well (as the tweeter is the same C-CAM driver) but I have a path to upgrade if I move to a bigger house! I would not keep anything from your current KEF setup and go with the Bronze AV package if size is not an issue (and you can mount the surrounds on the wall).

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    The radius are closer to the Silver range which is why they cost more than the Bronze and you are also paying a slight premium for their looks as well. Which is best will also depend on their location in your room. Large speakers near walls or corners is often not a good idea.

5. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +736
    I think Apex serie is more near to Silver and Radius should be on par with Bronze serie technically. Though new Bronze might be ahead as the audio crossover is re-designed with better quality components and mid-bass drivers being more near to Silver now, plus little tweaks overall. Piano colours / lifestyle design usually add the cost. Bronze 5 is easily the better performer here with it`s bigger cabinet, bigger drivers (2x5,25" vs 2x4") and higher sensitivity (90db vs 87db). There are still good (not payed) reviews out there for Radius serie and they have been praised many times. But as always when buying speakers, demo is in order.

Silver serie might come to play when the new one is announced (18.5-21.5), meaning prices will start to drop probably next month.

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    But the radius share the same tweeter as the Silver range

7. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +736
    1 x 25 mm gold dome C-CAM® tweeter for all three. But it extends to 35kHz in Radius & Silver serie so you might be right.. Have to get a confirmation for this. Both has that venting system with tweeter.

From Bronze brochure; ...For example this approach allows the New Gold
    series to benefit from a version of Platinum’s extraordinary
    C-CAM® ribbon tweeter; for Silver to inherit Gold’s
    ‘dished’ C-CAM driver designs, and similarly for New Bronze
    to absorb the latest refinements in tweeter and driver
    engineering from the Silver project

8. samsungderby

samsungderby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Bronzes all day long, never buy lifestyle speakers, unless you absolutely have to.

9. richardjyoung

richardjyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Really helpful. I've decided against the Radius and to wait until the new MA Silver range comes out and go listen to see if the sound justifies the extra expense over the Bronze 5