1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken telly, my rights?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kerraig, Feb 17, 2003.

1. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I have a panasonic 36" that has a convergence issue in the bottom right hand corner (it's blue).

The thing is, I bought the TV 2nd hand from a guy on ebay. Now, the set is only 1 and a half months old. it was bought brand new on January 7th then sold on to me 2 weeks later (why he didn't just takie it back to the shop i'll never know).

I have all the warranty paperwork, original receipt etc, but the shop are refusing to do anything about it as it wasn't bought in my name.

Where do I stand?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think its called "Buyer Beware" and you have no comeback at all.

Only possibility is for the original owner to sort it on your behalf, if you are on good terms, by pretending to still own it. Only alternative is if the warranty allows for it to be assigned to someone else. like most motor warranties do.

Is there any gaurantees via ebay if goods are not as described, ie working perfectly?

3. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd get in touch with Trading Standards (are you allowed to name the store in question here?).

I don't think the fact you didn't buy if should in any way affect their obligation to repair it so long as you have the receipt - after all people do get given TVs and large goods as presents, can't expect Auntie Mable who purchased it to deal with it when it breaks...

I guess it's on "grey" ground regarding a replacement as it's beyond the beloved 28 days that most companies use, and a refund is most unlikely as if it was purchased on card the store has to credit the card it was purchased with AFAIK.

Are they refusing to do anything at all?

regards,
    Paul

4. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats where i'm lucky because I first reported the faults after 27 days and I have emails to back that up.

Yes, the store are refusing to do anything at all. They won't repair, replace OR refund it, which i'm sure must be illegal for a TV they sold that was reported faulty after 3 weeks.

I don't want to name the store yet, but if they keep treating me so contemptably i'll be giving them bad feedback everywhere I go.

5. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just tell them you are the person who bought it and you moved. I bought a telly from my mate and had to claim on the warranty. I gave them his name but said I'd moved so they sent an engineer round to me to fix it. As long as you've got all the paperwork for them to check then it shouldn't be a problem.

6. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    too late for that unfortunately cos i've already spoken to em.

7. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    (moderator comment)

If you do name the shop you bought it from you must state your full name and *just* state the facts of what has happened, no name calling or mud slinging please!

Thanks!

8. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that, which is why i'm hesitant to name them.

Thanks

9. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just pick up the phone tomorrow morning and phone Trading Standards - they'll be able to tell you your rights.

Honestly I don't know if they're legally obliged to do anything, but I'd be stunned if they can shun all responsibility just because you didn't originally buy it... it's not like you're arriving on their doorstep with *no* proof of anything..

I'd be interested just for pure curiosity how this one turns out..

regards
    Paul

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Contact a local service engineer, pay him to degauss your tv, it is more than likely to solve your problem, especially if your screen has been near anything with a strong magnetic field, of course you have no loudspeakers within a few feet of the screen ?
    You may contact a local Panasonic dealer for the same service, they will usually charge a little more than an independent engineer, but can be useful to solve future problems, even though it is under guarantee they don't have to help and are within their rights to bill you.
    Keep your receipt and try to claim of the supplying dealer, you probably won't be lucky but it's worth the cost of a photo-copy and a stamp.

11. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What was your sellers response? Does your seller admit there is a fault? Ebay should be able to protect you if the item was not described properly.

12. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Could be slightly unfortunate here, depending on shop, they may not be legally required to sort it out. I am currently having problems with a retailer and have been doing a lot of reading on consumer law and one of the things I remember is if a TV is bought as a gift the consumer should make the retailer aware and should have this written on the documents. Obviously you are not in this situation but it is slightly similar. I would find it very harsh if they were not to honor, but you still may have some back up from the makers of the TV. I notice that it is made by panasonic, they may have better policys than a certain manufacturers I know of!

13. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy I bought it from is being very helpful. He is saying to the shop that he bought it on my behalf and is trying to get it replaced in his name. he's a good guy.

I know I can get the tv degaussed but I don't feel I should pay out anything for a tv which is only a month and a half old. Surely it should be taken care of under it's guarantee.

14. bigbaddonkey

bigbaddonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if he is, then he will give you your money back. If he sells you a set like this without it mentioned in the description he ain't a good guy! lol .

15. kerraig

kerraig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, he'll give me money back, but i'd rather get it sorted as apart from that it's a great set.

Money back is a last resort.

16. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Try Trading Standards and ask them what is their stance on the Sales Of Goods Act 1983 or 4 or 5 can never remember which one it is and how that stands when it comes to buying from a middle man like you have. I had bought a microwave etc. from a second hand illegal retailer (as it turned out) and managed to get my money back from him using this Act.
    Now the guarantees were all well out of date but I think it states that if you buy second hand the equipment has to be in reasonable working order comenserate with its age ie. you wouldnt expect a 1980's TV to give you the same picture quality however you would expect a 2001/2002 TV to actually work as its less than the normal life expectancy of the television.

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Actually it's the call out charge you are paying, probably £25 to £40 with a local independent.
    If you don't mind humping 100kg to the dealer he may well put it right under the Panasonic warranty and claim off them, taking a copy of the receipt ( regardless of current ownership ), but he will still generally charge you the " transport " fee.
    To save the grief a quick whizz with a degausser and everything should be fine.
    Trouble is these days it can be hard to find a friendly independent Panasonic service centre as most of them sell the tvs and have adopted the attitude that if they ain't sold it, they ain't gonna fix it :rolleyes: