Broken spirit level.

gibbsy

During the lock down I decided to put up some shelves for the missus. Bought some nice wood, even an electric saw. I also thought it would be prudent to buy a spirit level. However, it's broken the bubble is nowhere near the middle. Trouble is the shop I bought it from has closed down because of coronavirus and I can't exchange it for a new one.

Is there any way I can fix it and get the bubble back to the middle.

Thanks and keep safe folks.

phil t

During the lock down I decided to put up some shelves for the missus. Bought some nice wood, even an electric saw. I also thought it would be prudent to buy a spirit level. However, it's broken the bubble is nowhere near the middle. Trouble is the shop I bought it from has closed down because of coronavirus and I can't exchange it for a new one.

If you can get to any HM forces base, you'll find a new bubble in the stores on the shelf next to the long weight. ;)

rousetafarian

Is this an April Fool....my spirit level has lost its bubble 😜

If not do you have a mobile phone? Many apps can simulate the spirit level function

shotokan101

Distinguished Member

gibbsy

It's got to be returned. Made in Australia. How can you sell a southern hemisphere spirit level in the northern hemisphere, it's never going to work properly.:rolleyes:

phil t

It's got to be returned. Made in Australia. How can you sell a southern hemisphere spirit level in the northern hemisphere, it's never going to work properly.:rolleyes:
Give it to Elvis Cridlington, he'll return it for you....

gibbsy

I have a feeling you guys aren't taking this seriously.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
I've got some security screws with a left handed thread on them but all my screwdrivers are for right handed threads!

Can anyone recommend somewhere on line where i can order screwdrivers for left hand threads?

maxwell

Distinguished Member
Tap it with your glass hammer, if that doesn't work use the glass hammer to put a rubber nail under one end.

leo79

What I do in times like these is close one eye and tilt my head until it looks level

maxwell

Distinguished Member
I've got some security screws with a left handed thread on them but all my screwdrivers are for right handed threads!

Can anyone recommend somewhere on line where i can order screwdrivers for left hand threads?
Here you go

nvingo

Put it on a known level surface.
Get out your permanent marker pen.
Mark the position of the bubble.

Now to check your shelving is level, just line the bubble to the pen mark you made.

gibbsy

Put it on a known level surface.
Get out your permanent marker pen.
Mark the position of the bubble.

Now to check your shelving is level, just line the bubble to the pen mark you made.
Take note. This is the first recommendation that has worked. My shelves are perfect.:clap:

Err. How do I stop the cans rolling off?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
This reminds e of a tell a mate told me once about an apprentice he had. Said the fudgeer was lazy so he use to shoot his nail gun at him to make him move quicker :rotfl:

Sloppy Bob

You think you're having a bad day.

I broke my favourite mug and Amazon don't have any left-handed ones in stock.

shotokan101

Distinguished Member

nheather

Distinguished Member
Joking aside, last year I bought a TV wall mount, quite and expensive one, which had a built in spirit level. I put it up perfectly, hung the TV (a big 65" one) looked at it and thought "no way is that level"

I got out my proper builders level and sure enough it was out. Took the TV off expecting to find the mount had slipped in the oval holes - but nope, still showing perfectly level.

Turned out that the plastic bubble capsule had not be glued into the mount straight during assembly.

So joking aside, you can buy dodgy spirit levels.

Cheers,

Nigel