1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Speaker...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Clarkey, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right my left speake is broke. The woofer is dead on it. I can still get good bass from one side but it would sound much better with both going ;). The actual driver looks fine, if that was gone there would be signs of damage right, a magnet cant really go wrong can it :p?
    So im guessing its something on the crossover circuits. They are really old speakers, so u reckon it could be fixed? If so, where and for how much?

Thanks

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Could just be a duff connection at the terminals, ie dry joints. Woofers can and do blow as tweeters do. The crossover may have dry joints too, but they are generally quite reliable. How old is the speaker? What's its value now? Is the sound what you are after? What type is it?

I ask, as a repair can be as costly as a new set of speakers today.

3. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the speaker is around 25 years old im not sure exactly its my parents. The one which is working good sounds nice would be great to have them both going. tbh I think its just a bad connection on the crossover circuitry.

I would fetch the crossover circuit board out and go at it with the multimeter but its really difficult to get out. I would have to desolder the tweeter, mid and woofer to get it out. Which means removing all of them. Ive taken out the woofer and inside is full of foam so its difficult to see whats going on. IF I did get the wires out it would be a right job putting them back in.

Is there any way of testing the woofer without stripping the other speaker down. Could you just take the plugs from the back of the speaker from the amp and touch the connections on the woofer with them or would that damage the driver or amp?

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Remove the woofer and put your multimeter across he pos and neg terminals and look for about 8ohm resistance. Its rating will be shown on the magnet. If its blown it should be infinite. (Been a while since I've tested one.) The other obvious solution is swap woofers and see if it works in the other cabinet.