Broken speaker??

daveScFc

Novice Member
Reaction score
came home last night to find one of my mordaunt short 904s on its side (dog knocked it over) immediately tried it and it works but is much quieter than the other side (left speaker) and sounds tinny no real bass, could this just be something come loose inside? or do i need to start shopping for speakers? thanks

I reckon your bass driver is somehow disconnected.
A knock or a fall is not enough to damage it seriously.
I don't know how to open one up, but it should be easy enough.

I have a pair of Celestion 3 book shelf speakers which I still love. One suffered a fall to the ground and on removing the main driver from the front I found the ferrite magnet had fallen off! I was able to glue it back on with Araldite. It's still working to this day.

If you look on the back of your speaker, undo the 8 allen screws and remove the back carefully and check the wires from crossover to driver

thanks guys i've removed the back and found the tweeter hanging and a (red coil of wire) also insecure with i've glued back in, found bags of sand in the base? should i keep them? any gain? thanks guys

thanks guys i've removed the back and found the tweeter hanging and a (red coil of wire) also insecure with i've glued back in, found bags of sand in the base? should i keep them? any gain? thanks guys
The bags of sand were in the lower chamber? Its known to add ballast to the speaker and improve its bass response.

Is the tweeter working?

Gently press the bass driver and see if it moves freely or if you can feel grinding or loss of movement compared to the good speaker.

What often happens is that the basket is deformed and the voice coil no longer aligns with the magnet assembly.

The fix is a new bass driver. The good news is that these are normally relatively cheap and easy to replace. If the speakers have done a lot of hours, replace the unit in the other speaker as well, as the tone changes with use.

The bags of sand were in the lower chamber? Its known to add ballast to the speaker and improve its bass response.

Is the tweeter working?
yeah tweeter is working, bags are in the lower part yeah. touch wood it sounds ok, give them some stick last night for a couple of hours and sounded good

Gently press the bass driver and see if it moves freely or if you can feel grinding or loss of movement compared to the good speaker.

What often happens is that the basket is deformed and the voice coil no longer aligns with the magnet assembly.

The fix is a new bass driver. The good news is that these are normally relatively cheap and easy to replace. If the speakers have done a lot of hours, replace the unit in the other speaker as well, as the tone changes with use.
thanks i'll check them but hopefully they're ok as they sounded good last night, might be due to replace anyway as they're getting old now

yeah tweeter is working, bags are in the lower part yeah. touch wood it sounds ok, give them some stick last night for a couple of hours and sounded good
They should be fine. I suffered the same with my 914

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom