1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Sky+ Box - Cheapest way to replace?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ParmMann, Aug 16, 2005.

1. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi all,

I've had Sky+ with Multiroom since the start of the year, all has been going well until now.

The Sky+ box is in the main TV room, and then connected to a booster in the loft which outputs to my bedroom and the gym.

The Sky box on multiroom is connected to a different booster in the loft which outputs to sitting rooms, conversatory, kitchen and second bedroom.

The Sky+ box was working fine in my bedroom, but I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser TV Headphones, they're great for watching TV in bed. However, when listening to the sound on my headphones, I could hear a noticable pulsing of static. Something I hadn't noticed whilst listening on TV speakers.
    I thought it might have been the headphones, but when I tried the TV speakers, I went up close and having known what I was listening for, I could hear it again.
    It got to the point where I couldn't watch TV in the bedroom cause all I could focus on was that annoying sound.
    The sound is perfect downstairs on the main TV.

Anyhow, I decided I'd take a look at the connections, everything seemed fine upstairs, everything seemed fine in the loft. Went to check the RF-Out's on the Sky+ box, and one of them wouldn't come off, it was stuck.
    I pulled a little too hard, took the cable out, the adapter on the end of it, and unfortunately the little bit inside the connector on the Sky+ box came out too. :oops:

I put it back together as best I could, and I am still able to watch TV upstairs, but I can no longer change channels using the spare Sky+ remote on the TV Link. It's odd though, cause the little red light on the TV link is still working.

I think I'm gonna end up needing to replace the Sky+ box - any ideas where I should be looking?

Thanks,
    Parm

2. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the same happenned to my 6 year old pace 2200, the whole rf2 thing came out along with bits of the inside, i give sky a fone, they sent out an engeneer i didn;t pay anythin, the engineer looked at it and replaced it with a brand new pace ds430n!

3. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    *goes searching for Sky's number*

Did you pay extra for the warranty package thing though?

4. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ok, Sky are sending someone out tomorrow to take a look.

I just had a worrying thought though - if the Sky+ box needs to be replaced, what will happen to my recordings? :O

I'm currently recording The Shield and Lost using series link and haven't managed to watch them yet, I'd hate to lose them all!

5. jshaw_82

jshaw_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When my Sky+ Box knackered (18 months) i had to pay a £65 service call, for the sky installer (they are not engineers) to instant replacement refurb, as it happens the refurb HDD was clunking, so i called him and next day got a new one.

6. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Sky Engineers (if you can call them that) have been and gone.

They've replaced my broken Pace box with a so far working Amstrad box.

I have however lost all my Sky+ recordings :suicide:
    The Shield and Lost all gone :rolleyes:

7. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    You could have got your SKY+ box repaired by a local repairer for twenty - thirty quid. Spare parts are available for all Pace Digiboxes and replacing the modulator frame is tedious but not difficult (so they tell me).