1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broken sky+ box and Sky service

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by nickb23, Dec 19, 2003.

1. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi guys,

Just had my new sky + box for 2 weeks, and tonight it died. Went into permanent standby mode. Called sky who told me to reset it ( off and the on with backup pressed) but still dead. They have told me that they have to send an engineer out (for monday). I also asked them that if they needed to swap the box, would it be new or a refurb. They said to me it depended on what the engineer had. Now this is when I got mad, and told them that I paid £200 for a new box 2 weeks ago, and as with any other bit of technology, I would not accept a reconditioned and effectivly a second hand box instead of a new one

Has anyonehad this problem before - both with the box and with sky? Where do I stand on the 2nd hand box front? Kind of annoys me as well seeing that people are getting reconditioned one for £100 as well.

Many Thanks

Nick B

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    That is the policy for SKY I am afraid, I don't know enough about consumer law but I suspect they are withing their rights even though every reputable high street retailer in the UK wouldn't dream of treatng a paying customer in the same way.
    Give your local CAB a ring and they will advise you exactly what to say and how to talk to SKY, it's totally unacceptable to replace brand new hardware with refurbished units that could be over two years old !

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I suspect such a short period before failure you would be entitled to a new replacement. But like all rights, entitlement & reality are different things. If you'd got it at a store you'd give it back & get another, if they didn't have one, other than ex-display say, it's decision time. Take the replacement or money back. Dealing with Sky should be no different. 6 months down the line they'd be well within thier rights to provide a re-coned box. My box went faulty & was changed after a week. I never asked, the digibox was boxed, appeared new - no marks etc, I wouldn't fret. See what he does, don't take some tatty replacement. I however would rather have a 'like new' re-coned unit, fully checked working box, than a new duff one!! (Even if it felt I'd been shafted a bit.)

4. Madgpol

Madgpol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same experience. The engineer is coming this afternoon to replace the sky+ box that died 72 hours after having it installed. I'll only be accepting either a brand new box or one that does not have a mark on it. I'll keep you posted.

Madgpol

5. mostly

mostly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had the same problem in Feb with the old style box, it died within a month, they came out left a refurbed unit - (which they told my girlfriend was new).
    Took nearly 3 months to get the reburbed unit swapped for a new box.

6. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    thanks guys for your replys,

After speaking to 3 seperate sky people, with 3 different stories, I think I might have got to the bottom of it.
    No.1 said that there was a 50/50 chance of getting a new box. After asking him what was a recondishined box was, he told me that it was an unwanted box returned, and did not include fixed boxes. - I knew this was wrong!

No.2 said that a reconditioned box was a fixed box that had gone through a diagnostics centre and was fully checked. It could be up to 12 months old, with a full warranty. After asking him did he think it was right that after forking out £200 for a brand new box, 2 weeks later Sky could give me a 9month old 2nd hand box, he told me that he had been in the same position in october when he had just got sky+ installed, and it had gone wrong. Since then he had 5 reconditioned boxes sofar (he was trying to persude me that 2nd hand boxes were ok - what an idiot) - after this I just asked to speak to someone else, who said.....

No.3 - new boxes on a whole are given to people who are under the 12month warranty. Checked the records, and said that if my box had to be swapped, it looks like it was a new one.

Wont Sky get there story straight???!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?

7. Madgpol

Madgpol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ended up with a brand new box.

Well happy.Lets hope this one lasts !!

Madgpol

8. nickb23

nickb23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    just received my one, brand new box. But.......

It is broken. found out an hour after repair man left.Cannot pause live tv or record. Comes up with a message saying that recording was inturrupted. Doesn't happen with bbc1 & 2 though, but definatley happens on itv, Ch4 and sky one. Hopefully new box coming tonight or tomorrow morning

Also repair man said there was problems with the v2 boxes