1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken P.C.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rick1486, May 1, 2004.

1. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help please!!
    My p.c. attached to the hs10 has now crashed! Over the last couple of days it had started to mysteriously shutdown and restart (no viruses it's been checked) for no reason at all.
    Tonight it just shut itself down and I had to manually restart by pressing the power button to turn it on. After the boot up memory check (all ok) and upon starting to show attached devices in the bios initial boot screen it just froze. I restarted the p.c. and exactly the same thing happened!
    It also reported my athlon xp2400+ as an athlon xp1800+.
    I am wondering if it's either my m/board or the processor or both which are faulty (asus a7n8x deluxe 1yr. old/1gb.ram) - what do you lot think?

Cheers
    Rick

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Could be the PSU.

3. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why do u suspect psu mate?

4. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE UPDATE

Got up this morning and managed to get into the bios - nothing unusual struck me and upon a reboot i got the message "cmos checksum error - defaults loaded" still no boot up so back into bios and found i had to reset some settings like cpu frequency etc.
    Another reboot and this time the p.c. went into windows with the only apparent anomoly being that it now thought the day was 31 December 2001. Anyway I've manually changed that gone to device manager (no exclamation marks) and had a general look around but can't find an obvious cause for my problems.
    Does this help gang? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers
    Rick

5. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,962
    It's normally the motherboard battery when that sort of thing happens, but I'd have thought that it should last longer than 1 year !
    See if it happens again, if it does change the battery - they are not very expensive

6. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, a lack of power can cause startup failures, lockups, random rebooting, memory errors, overheating etc. but when you mention a ‘CMOS checksum error’ it could also be down to:

- a weak or poorly connected battery (found on your motherboard).
    - a virus. Some viruses can corrupt the CMOS memory.
    - hardware configuration. Remove all expansion cards and cables and then restart the computer to see if you get the same problem. If the ‘CMOS checksum error’ doesn’t show, the motherboard is OK. If this is the case, reconnect each of your other components (one at a time) and see what happens – you may find the culprit.
    - a failing motherboard.
    - static electricity could have damaged one of the chips.

If its the battery, the BIOS settings will have changed and its probably best to load the defaults and then reconfigure as appropriate. You may as well upgrade the BIOS while you’re at it too…

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If the PSU isn't powerful enough you get stability issues.

8. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help gang. Went to a local computer fair on Sunday and bought a new 500w psu and stuck it into the p.c. (the old one was only 350w) - touch wood it seems o.k. at the moment but I'll wait and see how it develops over the next couple of weeks and then if necessary will replace the cmos battery and see how I get on.
    Did a bios upgrade via the Asus utility and got what is apparently the latest version ( I think it is dated Oct. 2003 from memory).
    Once again, thanks for all your help.

Cheers
    Rick

9. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    sorry to jump in here but I'm having a real nightmare trying to get my pc to boot up at the mo and it genrally takes at least 10 mins to start up every day.
    Any ideas?