• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Broken Imac...any value or dump?

General Panic

Hi guys

My mid 2011 21" Imac it seems has bought the farm a few weeks after my one year PC world guarantee ran out :(

Mac started up ok but after 5-10 minutes screen would power off. If i hold the power button and listen i can hear it power down , cluick on again and it starts up for another 5-10 mins then go's again.

PC world told me take it back to the shop i got it from , pay £50 and they would send it to their repair centre find out whats wrong and give me a repair quote.

Bit of a hassle to get it back to them and i have a local repair shop 1 minute from my house with an Apple sign in the window. Troop down to them and a MONTH later get told it's not the power switch we thought it was but the main board and cost for repair £500-£600!!!. Can;t afford that so got my Mac back and wondering now do i just dump it or is there any value in something like this for spares or something?

I did call Apple but too late to take out their Apple cover so not a lot they can do either except quote for a repair and that may well mean piring more money into something i can't afford to get repaired.

Anyone with any experience or advice on kaput Imacs i would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Cheers

Panic

stevelup

Distinguished Member
It is barely out of warranty. You need to pursue the retailer you purchased it from and exercise your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

There is no way that 14 months is 'acceptable durability' for a product costing £1000

anorax25

Sorry to hear that mate. You must be gutted. It must have some intrinsic value in it's current state although, I don't have a clue how much.

Did the local shop offer you anything for 'spares'? Call me an old cynic but what a wonderful opportunity for a repairer to make a shed load of money by frightening you with a massive repair bill, offer you a derisory amount for spares then repair at cost and resell.

If it was mine, I would take it into Apple and get a quote, at least they have their reputation to uphold.

I suppose that's the only benefit of a tower PC, being able to replace bits cheaply.

dante01

Distinguished Member
As already said, you've a perfect right to expect the retailer to repair your Mac at no cost to yourself regardless of manufacturer's warranty. You have consumer rights that say that you can ask for repair or replacement of any goods within six years of buying them, or within five years in Scotland. If you aren't satisfied with the outcome of a dispute, get in touch with Consumer Direct who will advise you if you can take your case further.

anorax25

Have to agree with what stevelup says.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
A failed motherboard isn't normal wear & tear it must be a manufacturing defect & they are legally obliged to repair it. If PC World won't replace the defective iMac then take them to the Small Claims Court. Just keep calm & explain it to the manager. Merely the threat of the SCC may well be enough to get a free of charge repair.

The Eggman72

It is barely out of warranty. You need to pursue the retailer you purchased it from and exercise your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

There is no way that 14 months is 'acceptable durability' for a product costing £1000

My thoughts exactly..totally unacceptable you have rights for upto 6 years after purchase in certain cases..

Warranties:The Sale of Goods Act, Extended warranties, and Expired warranties

Read here **QUOTE**
What if my warranty has run out?

If a warranty which you have purchased in relation to goods has run out this will have no effect on your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act meaning that a retailer cannot refuse to provide you with a repair simply because the length of time of the warranty has expired.
Your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act can often last for up to six years in relation to certain products in many cases lasting longer than any acquired warranty.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
The only potential fly in this ointment is that the original poster took it somewhere else who have probably had it in bits...

Nevertheless, fight your corner with PC World - they are clearly in the wrong here.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The only potential fly in this ointment is that the original poster took it somewhere else who have probably had it in bits...

Nevertheless, fight your corner with PC World - they are clearly in the wrong here.

All he need say is that he had it independently assessed :) I'd get a written report from the place you took it for repair.

General Panic

Thanks for the replies and advice all. It did occur to me that having it taken to bits by the local shop i maybe burnt my bridges but i hoped what ever was wrong was going to be easily fixed.

I'll pluck up the courage and approach pc world face to face rather than over the phone and see where i get , not good in confrontational circumstanes though :)

Thanks again

The Eggman72

You have rights, & they are legally obliged to help you.......dont let them fob you off..print out the relevant info I posted & tell them (if they still refuse) you are pursuing it further as its unacceptable...just make sure you have done your homework & know where you stand & stand firm but be polite..

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
General Panic said:
Thanks for the replies and advice all. It did occur to me that having it taken to bits by the local shop i maybe burnt my bridges but i hoped what ever was wrong was going to be easily fixed.

I'll pluck up the courage and approach pc world face to face rather than over the phone and see where i get , not good in confrontational circumstanes though :)

Thanks again

How are you getting on?

Please don't feel daunted by this situation, the law is totally on your side. To expand on the SoG act, the law states you are covered for 6 years (as already mentioned) however after the first 6 months it is up to the customer to prove an inherent fault. Well you have done that already by having it inspected by a 3rd party. The only caveat is that you are supposed to tell the original retailer (PC World) prior to having it inspected to give them the opportunity to do something out of goodwill instead. However I think you may only have forfeited the right to claim the inspection costs back from them (not sure if you have occurred any though) which you would have been perfectly entitled to had you informed PC World first.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't go in to a PC World store and try to argue the case (sounds like you'd rather not anyway) as store managers vary in consumer law knowledge, you need to write to their customer services (email is best as it's great for reference regarding timeline) explaining the situation providing dates, costs and inspection report details. Don't threaten with small claims court (yet) as I'm sure they will want to help you first, more so if you are polite and non-aggressive.

Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.

P.S. If you purchased using a credit card then the credit card company is just as liable as PC World are so you would have a second line of redress if it all goes pear shaped with PC World.

General Panic

How are you getting on?

Please don't feel daunted by this situation, the law is totally on your side. To expand on the SoG act, the law states you are covered for 6 years (as already mentioned) however after the first 6 months it is up to the customer to prove an inherent fault. Well you have done that already by having it inspected by a 3rd party. The only caveat is that you are supposed to tell the original retailer (PC World) prior to having it inspected to give them the opportunity to do something out of goodwill instead. However I think you may only have forfeited the right to claim the inspection costs back from them (not sure if you have occurred any though) which you would have been perfectly entitled to had you informed PC World first.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't go in to a PC World store and try to argue the case (sounds like you'd rather not anyway) as store managers vary in consumer law knowledge, you need to write to their customer services (email is best as it's great for reference regarding timeline) explaining the situation providing dates, costs and inspection report details. Don't threaten with small claims court (yet) as I'm sure they will want to help you first, more so if you are polite and non-aggressive.

Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.

P.S. If you purchased using a credit card then the credit card company is just as liable as PC World are so you would have a second line of redress if it all goes pear shaped with PC World.

Many thanks Steve for taking the time to reply and you other guys as well :)

I've been out of the country for a cou[ple of weeks so haven't done anything much yet apart from box the imac up in its original packageing.

I do like the idea of putting this in writing , as you say stores can be hit and miss depending on who is helping you and i can see myself just getting wound up so the email is what i'll do now.

Thanks again guys , much appreciated.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
No problem, I work in customer services (not PC World lol) myself and I much prefer responding to complaints sent in by email as it allows me time to investigate thoroughly before responding.

Keep the thread updated, I'll be very interested to see how it pans out.

General Panic

Quick up date.
Seems my emails and report on the repair from my local repair shop have prompted pcworld to offer me "a payment voucher towards the cost of a new unit"

I'm not entirley sure what a payment voucher is, i'm hoping a credit to spend in pcworld on a new pc rather than cost toward pc world repairing my imac , if anyone knows i'd like to hear. I'm due a letter in the post so i guess i'll find out in a few days , fingers crossed.

Regardless of how it pans out i'd again like to thank all for you advice and encouragement.

Panic

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
That's great news, if it is a voucher towards a new unit you should then stick the iMac on eBay for spares and repairs, you'll get a fair few quid for it even in its current condition. You should then be able to get a nice new unit with the proceeds!

General Panic

Went to PC World yesterday , could not have been nicer. Bought a June 2012 13" MacBook Pro and with my voucher off i paid just £340 for the machine.

I take back nearly all the bad things i've said over the years about Pc World :rotfl:

Next step following Steve's advise is to try and sell the broken imac on ebay for spares. I take it i should think about trying to get my old hard drive out of the machine first but no idea if this is something i can attempt myself or should get professional help with?

I've mucked about inside PC's over the years but imacs with no visable access have me stumped :)

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Does it power on at all, even briefly? If so, you could boot off an installer CD and wipe the hard disk that way.

The way to open the machine is to use two large suckers. You lay the machine flat on it's back, attach the suckers to the glass, then pull - the front of the machine will come off (it's held on with magnets).

Full details here

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
Could be the inverter board, would be pretty cheap to buy the part.
I would also call into the Apple Store, they often have fixed prices for things just outside warranty, and sometimes they are pretty reasonable.

General Panic

Could be the inverter board, would be pretty cheap to buy the part.
I would also call into the Apple Store, they often have fixed prices for things just outside warranty, and sometimes they are pretty reasonable.

nearest apple store is a long way from me and i dont drive hence me using pc world instead of apple themselves. The machine used to run for minutes at a go until i tried to get it repaired and since i got it back , nothing , dead as a dodo.

might be worth me spending another £30 from my local repair place to remove the drive for me i think.

Hopefully i could get £100 or so for the imac as it is? that should at least cover my costs on it so far.

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
If you only want £100 for it, let me know, I will give you that and take the gamble. Plus I will send a courier to collect.
But I do think it would be repairable for no more than £2-300 and a little time researching the problem.

General Panic

lets not turn this into a forsale thread...if the item is forsale I'm sure it will be posted in the correct classified forum.

Curly

Sorry Curly , not my intention at all.

Thanks for the link showing how to dismantle the Mac , not something i have the tools or know how to even attempt! , always wondered how they managed to put this together with a lack of visable screws.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom