Broken D/A in FJM CD33T???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by oceanrower, Dec 19, 2006.

Tags:
  1. oceanrower

oceanrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My FMJ CD33T just stopped delivering sound to the amp. The amp works fine but none of the CD´s two outputs delivers sound. However, when I send a digital signal from the cd to my MD´s D/A I get sound through the amp. The transport seems to work perfect.

What can have gone broken/bad?

Can it be a fuse for the D/A?
    Can the D/A-board be broken?
    Can the power-source to the D/A be broken?
    What is the price for the D/A-board?

Anyone that have got the same problem?

2. mcguiganp

mcguiganp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had distorted sound from my cd72 which was the burr brown dac. I assume though that the CD33 has more than one dac per channel. If this is the case then it would appear to lean towards a power supply issue to the dac board rather than the dac chips. It would be too much of a coincidence for all dac chips to suddenly stop working :eek:

Have you tried re-seating the ribbon connector to the dac board? Worth a try. I doubt the dac board would have inline fuses, maybe it has a surface mount fuses instead that could've blown.

If you phone Arcam customer support I'm sure they will send you circuit drawings for the board and you could have a look yourself. It does seem to look like a power fault in some way.

Good luck!:)

3. oceanrower

oceanrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This story is starting to become very strange and interesting.

As I intend to have the CD33 sent back to the Swedish Arcam agent (Ljudtema) for repair work I have had it switched off for a few days. After painting a wall the stereo-setup was installed again and I then tried the CD33 and instaintly got sound. :eek: :smashin: :D
    However, after 45-60 seconds the sound sounded like it was on radio, like an FM-signal with interference from a close but not choosen station. The FM-sounding disturbance increased rapidly and after 10 seconds the sound got weaker (needed to pump up the volume to hear the noise) and after a total of 60 seconds with sound, and then another 15 with "radio-interference alike sound" the analoge outputs on my FMJ cd-player was dead silence again. Transport working well the whole time. :confused:

Now a am again listening to my DV89 and will still send the FMJ CD to repairwork but this makes me beleve that there is not power or D/A-related problem with my analouge output. :rolleyes:

Anyone that has hear this "radio interference sound" from a CD before? :lease:

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Given that the unit was without power for a period, its sounds like there was some sort of built up charge in the output stages which was allowed to dissipate when unplugged from the mains. As soon as you started playback this charge bult up again hence the weird sound you got. I have come across this issue before but I can't remember what bit of kit it was on.

5. mcguiganp

mcguiganp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Interesting fault! Given that you are getting distorted sound from the analog outputs I would still say that the problem lies with your DAC board. This is the fault I had with my cd72t. I had fuzzy distorted sound that indeed sounded like a poorly compressed mp3 file. However, infuriatingly the sound did come and go. I replaced the burr brown dac and hey presto, clear sound again :D

I'm not too sure if the dac board has the output stage on it or not but if it does then I would still say the problem lies here. Even so, I think it will be a costly repair! Those pesky dac boards ain't cheap! :eek:

Good luck! :smashin:

6. oceanrower

oceanrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, lets see the cost! I think it will be worth it! It is a good player and I am not so happy to have to play cd´s on my DV89 (still good though..)

As a respons to Crusty´s thoughts, the power was left on all the time when the problem first arised. I only had stoped the disk from playing during the night.

When the sound came back (but heavily distorted) then the unit had been powerless for a while (mains still plugged into the wall and into the unit).

7. mcguiganp

mcguiganp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Crusty does have a valid point with regard to static build up, after all, we all often we have to unplug the sky boxes after poor weather to get rid of the static build up :thumbsdow

You might have a faulty component somewhere that when charged up simply fails when it reaches a certain operating temperature, eg a cap or op-amp. This however is all conjecture and doesn't get your cd33 back playing. My advice would be to email or better still phone Arcam and ask how much the dac board costs and whether or not it incorporates the output stage. The guys in tech support are superb and will help you out. If you don't fancy having a bash then I think Arcam have a fixed repair cost (?) don't quote me howeverand it will be well worth it.

Good luck! :smashin: