1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken component cable???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by eric2, Jul 10, 2004.

1. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just bought 10m of Profigold Component Video leads (PGV339).
    Its to link up a CD player with both phono leads and a digital coaxial cable to my amplifier.

I was expecting to buy separate leads but was told this would be a cheaper way without loosing quality :thumbsup: Only problem was the IAT meant I could not separate them, so the shopkeeper smashed it for me to separate the leads. :eek:

When I opened the box at home I noticed that both the blue and red leads where cut slightly. The cut had gone through the rubber outer and slightly cut some of the threads on the first set of fine wires.

What I would like to know is whether this would effect the sound quality as the cut did not enter the centre of the lead?
    also whether these leads are suitable for audio as the packaging says they are for DVD/TV link? or are audio and video cables the same?

Any advise would be appreciated. :lease:

2. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you paid anywhere near full retail for the 339 then it was a very expensive route to go. The cables you should use are the PGA4209 (£22.99) for the audio pair and PGD489 (£19.99) for the digital audio.

The 339 is a 75 ohm coaxial cable so is fine for digital audio but it's not an audio cable.

Andy.

3. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Andy thanks for your reply.

I think it worked out at about £65 for the cables. I was told that 10m of phono leads would be about £60 and £60 again for 10m of digital coaxial. So by buying the 339 I could split the digital coaxial (green) from
    the phono leads (red & blue).

I wanted to buy some good quality leads as I have to lay the cables under the floorboards before a new solid wooden floor gets laid over the top making it hard to update any cables in the future.

Andy when you say the coaxial cable is 'fine' for digital audio does this mean the quality is not as good as the PGD489? also are the red & blue cables not true phono leads, again reducing the quality?

At the moment I have no way of testing the cables to know if the cuts in the cable will effect the quality as I'm still waiting for my new amp to arrive, but by then it will be to late to change any cables as they will be buried under the floor, hence all the questions as I have little knowledge about these cables and want to make sure I get it right.