Broken bass driver or room resonance?

phAge

I've just purchased a pair of XTZ 99.36's for my livingroom (L: 5.5 W: 3.5 H: 2.6 metres). I got them used from a guy who'd had them for 3 months (I have the receipt), but decided to sell them on as they "didn't go loud enough").

Now, they look in absolute mint condition and sound great (most of the time), but when playing any kind of material with any sort of deep-bass it all just goes south: individual bass notes/explosions blur together to form one long rumble. In Forza Motorsport 3, the starter buzz makes the entire room vibrate, and Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas" sounds like it's been techno-ified, the bass is that loud.

I haven't ever heard a broken bass driver, so I have no idea what to listen for - and it could conceivably be room modal issues playing tricks on me. I used to have a pair of Dali Concept 2 for fronts, but they didn't go as low at the XTZ's, so I really don't have any way of comparing the two. In any case it sounds pretty bad right now, and definitely not like a pair of medium-end speakers being driven by a Yamaha RX-V1900.

How likely is it that I've got a set of busted/damaged bass drivers, and how can I tell if it is the speakers or the room that is the problem? Of course I could just take the amp and speakers to a friend's house, but I'd really rather have to avoid lugging that much hardware around...

Cheers,

Andreas

PS: The speakers are about 20 cm out from the long wall, with the sofa flush against the opposite wall.

Amioa

sounds like the room to me

Member 281695

I would not think it´s a broken driver, this is the typical symptoms of a room suffering from heavy modes, and perhaps non optimal placement of the speakers. A broken driver would not be able to put the entire room into vibration. I would suggest trying to plug the ports, move the speakers further out from the back wall and set the crossover filter in the low level mode for the woofer.

:)

phAge

I'm happy that you think that it is the room, since I'll be moving to a somewhat bigger flat next month (7.5 x 5 x 2.6 metres) - hopefully that will improve things somewhat. :)

Just to be on the safe side though: what *does* a broken bass driver sound like? I can see that the cone is neither loose nor torn (you can check this from the outside, yes?) - but how would I know that the "guts" of the speaker are as they should be?

Andreas

Member 281695

Oh, great! Larger rooms tend to be better. You will most likely experience a completely different sound in the new flat.

A broken driver usually produce a scratching kind of sound, or no sound at all. If nothing appears damaged from the outside, you can test the "internals" by gently pushing the cone straight inwards and feel if it grinds agains the voice coil. It should move freely without a sound.

:)

/Rikard

Last edited:

phAge

OK, I've just tried doing the above, and the cone does indeed move silently in and out without any obstruction. Guess this means that I'll just have to cross my fingers that the new livingroom is a bit more "XTZ-friendly!" :)

If nothing else, 41m2 vs my current 19 should make a bit of difference - as will, I suspect, placing the speakers along the short wall, instead of the long one...

Top Bottom