Broken amp? Replacement suggestions please.

J

john1969

Hi,

I have a Marantz CD52SE cd player, Marantz PM30SE amplifier and Heco Interior Plus 303 speakers (all getting on for 15 years old now). Recently I have started to get a bad crackling noise from one of the speakers. If I swap the speakers over at the back of the amplifier, the crackle comes from the other speaker. I get the crackle whether I use the CD player or my TV as input.

I conclude from this the amplifier must be the problem. Do you agree this makes sense?

I'm guessing that it's not something that's likely to be cost effectively repaired. Do you agree?

So, I think I'm left looking for a replacement. I imagine the modern equivalent would be something like a Marantz PM4001OSE. Does that sound like a good choice, or is there something better for similar money (about £200 I think)?

I don't imagine I'd get the opportunity to try out different models with my own set up at home with this kind of budget, so I'm hoping that you guys can help me. Thanks very much in advance.

15 years is more than long enough to consider new capacitors for your amp. As a DIY project the parts are probably no more than a tenner but might save you a couple of hundred quid. If you were in my neck of the woods I would take a look see for you, otherwise find someone local with a bit of electronic knowledge.

Hi Cable Monkey,

That's a very kind offer indeed. I actually live in Derby and work in Stratford so I kind of drive around Birmingham each day. Whereabouts are you?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom