broken amp on xtz 10.17 sub.

Langsta

Novice Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct section but I will go ahead.

My xtz 10.17 sub’s amp had just broke.
I have been speaking to a representative from xtz, they have given me two options.

1. They will send a new amp for the 10.17 for free and I will send the old one back.

2. Upgrade to the new amp (sa1) from the new 10.17 edge model and pay 150 euros plus shipping. Normally retailing at 350 euros

What do you all think ?

How happy were you with the sub before it broke, and how long had it lasted?

This isn't the first thread I've seen with an owner having this choice. I'd be tempted to lean towards the newer replacement in the hope it would last rather longer but you could actually ask XTZ if they'd expect it to be more reliable.

If it's a regular/inherent fault with the original amp I would go with option two because it *will* happen again.

If it isn't a common failure issue then option 1.

I’ve had it for just over a year. I feel a bit put out that it only lasted that long. It’s if I can justify the price for what they say the improvement will be and I will notice it. This is what the guy said in his e mail.

“I personally would say it is an substantially difference in quality between the new and the old.
It also has more power, better dynamic range and a build it PEQ filter, which definitely puts it in a higher class of subwoofers”

I’ve had it for just over a year. I feel a bit put out that it only lasted that long. It’s if I can justify the price for what they say the improvement will be and I will notice it. This is what the guy said in his e mail.

“I personally would say it is an substantially difference in quality between the new and the old.
It also has more power, better dynamic range and a build it PEQ filter, which definitely puts it in a higher class of subwoofers”

As above, a very significant difference to factor in for me would be if it was any less likely to break.

Have you asked what warranty you'll get on either replacement amp?

Amplifier plates are usually quite pricey especially one as highly specified as the Edge so £150 plus postage is a considerable discount. Whether you'll benefit or take advantage of the added features is of course dependent on your needs and usage. It certainly should be the safer of the two options although as Ultrasonic says confirm the warranty. XTZ are known for quality products so I wouldn't be surprised if its backed by a hefty warranty.

They are good pointes, it works out to around £135 plus pp. I will see if could get that postage for free. I will e mail and ask about the warranty.

If you go with the original amp plate the warranty would be what remains on the 2yr purchase warranty.
If you go with the icepower you get a 5yr warranty.
Just had the same problem with the amp plate in my 12.17 now changed to the icepower for 170 euros inc postage.

Martin

And how are you finding it? Any improvement over the old one ?
Side by side the icepower looks like a much better quality amp and looks as if it will last.
One thing I noticed with the original amp was how warm the top of the sub always felt even when just in standby did wonder if heat was causing amp failures.With the icepower installed cool:cool: to the touch.

Martin

I also noticed how hot the amp ran. I will message xtz and let them know I would like that upgrade. Do you use the extra features with the edge?

Not sure if this is the correct section but I will go ahead.

My xtz 10.17 sub’s amp had just broke.
I have been speaking to a representative from xtz, they have given me two options.

1. They will send a new amp for the 10.17 for free and I will send the old one back.

2. Upgrade to the new amp (sa1) from the new 10.17 edge model and pay 150 euros plus shipping. Normally retailing at 350 euros

What do you all think ?

Hi!
Is there anybody how knows how to repair the amp? I no longer have any guaranti for it.
Cheers Jesper

Hi!
Is there anybody how knows how to repair the amp? I no longer have any guaranti for it.
Cheers Jesper

The original 500w amp had some well known design fault as they changed some things on it couple times. Repairing it might not give long life as XTZ had to re-design new amp plate with IcePower. You can buy this more powerfull and reliable amp for your 10.17/12.17 with 5yr warranty:

You shouldn´t have to pay that much though. Contact XTZ (Mario) and ask can he give better pricing, say your 1x.17 amp just died. I would be very skeptical about repairing it unless you have someone in Sweden who knows exactly what kills that amp.
[email protected]

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom