Question Broadcast sound levels

ard126k

Is it only me, or is there a huge difference in the broadcast sound levels between the standard and HD versions of the same channel?
Alex.

CatsWithThumbs

Standard Member
I don't thnk it's you, I've also noticed the same. I often have to turn the volume down significantly when moving from HD to SD.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
On what device(s) and broadcast platform(s)?

My Humax PVRs I can match the MP2 sound level for SD programmes to the (fixed level) Dolby Digital sound level for HD via the PVR volume, if using my AVR for listening.

On my Panny TVs, SD MP2 and HD HE-AAC levels are very similar. (Even over ARC into the amp).

Ditto on my Foxsat-HDR and TV speakers (where the volume works on both SD & HD).

Now, some programmes - particularly 5.1 sound films etc.,. may be quieter as that's how they are mixed with a wider dynamic range.

BBC uses the exact same playout data stream to the C&M centres where they are transcoded to SD and HD versions for satellite and terrestrial broadcast.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yes, 5.1 audio does bring with it a slight drop in level, but SD and HD 2.0 audio levels are pretty much the same on my kit.

ard126k

I have a Panasonic TV (listening via onboard speakers) and use Freeview from the Durris transmitter. The difference between HD and SD is so great that if I'm watching something on (say) BBC2 SD at a comfortable level and then try HD the audio is virtually inaudible. Same on ITV C4 C5.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Odd, but then I always use external kit for audio. Can you try something like that to see if it helps?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Precise model number of TV?

BBC Scotland do have their own playout server, but I've used Scottish HD channels to record a third off satellite with no issue wrt sound level.

Possibly a faulty implementation on your TV model?
BUT check out any Audio setup options such as 'pseudo surround' or Dolby vs PCM/stereo on the HD channel in case that is relevant?

Might be worth asking Panasonic if it is 'as expected' for your model? (Also check if any firmware updates are available Download Information of TV for UK and Ireland | Download | TV | Digital AV | Support | Panasonic Global ).

I'll also assume you aren't using the audio described soundtrack(s) as default?

ard126k

It's a Panasonic TXL37G20BA. Old but it does all I need a TV to do! No Dolby/PCM option that I can see. I don't use AD at all. The firmware is up to date.

I managed to borrow an HDMI 2 channel soundbar and it makes no difference, indeed it's not so good because the HDMI connection defeats the TV's equaliser and volume correction menu options.

Thinking about it, I think this difference has got worse since the last Freeview retune. That wouldn't affect sound levels would it??

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
2010 model year and an early Freeview HD DVB-T2 tuner. Also sports a freesat HD tuner.

Freeview retunes cannot affect the sound levels.

A full factory (shipping condition) reset could, as that will delete any user settings including picture and sound per input settings and/or calibration.

The place I'd look for adjustments, from studying your manual Page 37:
Sound Menu: page 1/2. Volume Correction

Manual page 33 says Volume Correction - Adjusts the volume of individual channel or input mode

I've checked on my GT60 and it does allow BBC1 101 to different to BBC2 102 so will work... a bit of a pain to have to adjust it for every TV channel that is wrong, though.

There is a MPEG Optical Level adjustment in the 2/2 Sound Menu that decreases the MPEG (SD sound) cf the Dolby (HD) on optical output to external kit. That shouldn't affect the internal sound levels, I wouldn't think - but may be worth a quick try also?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
BBC1 SD on 101 is definitely quieter than BBC1 HD on 115 through my Sky box with a Marantz NR1501.
That's your $ky box's fault due to the MPEG vs Dolby issue.
Set it to output stereo PCM rather than Dolby Surround and try again.

ard126k

Many thanks Rodders53 the Volume Correction has levelled (sorry) things up. Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but in my defence ISTR it not making much difference when the set was new.
Alex.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom