Broadcast regulator says No to hi-def Freeview

Discussion in 'Technology News' started by The News Bot, Dec 21, 2006.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
    News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    In a move which will shock some and surprise many, broadcast regulator Ofcom has rejected pleas to free up additional spectrum space for free-to-air high definition broadcasts when the analogue TV system is switched off in 2012.Both UK broadcasters and the electronics industry had petitioned for two more multiplexes to be made available, for either [...]
    More...

2. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    And there was me thinking OFCOM was supposed to protect the interests of the consumer. I must have missed the part where it got made part of the Treasury. :mad:

Hopefully, the lingering pains in the hands of the Telecoms giants from when they got their fingers burned by Brown on the 3G licenses will make them forget their chequebooks.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,349
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Outrageous decision - probably made by Civil Servants who aren't actually aware what HDTV is.

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,505
    Would this have something to do with the decision to sell off some of the analogue bandwidth to the mobile phone operators?

5. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    That's not good news... I refuse to pay Sky's outrageous costs, so looks like the only HD stuff for me will come on disc or downloaded off the net.

6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I'm afraid this does not come as a surprise. Mobile phone services will always be seen as an income generator. Perhaps the amount of mux space taken up by radio services might be the place to go. Although I admit it is convenient I suspect radio by Freeview is not something a lot of people use on a regular basis. We still have FM and, for all its sins, DAB digital radio. By dropping the radio service from Freeview I wonder if the system could support 3-4 HD channels.

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Unsurprising, but fairly pathetic nonetheless...

8. Jakeh1969

Jakeh1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Or drop off some of the minor freeview channels like QVC and ITV Play.... :devil: :D

9. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    . The regulator will invite consultation on its plans being finalizing them in the Summer of 2007.

Well lets hope they mean to take notice of those who contibute to the consultation!
    I wonder if this is yet another example of the "Special Relationship" enjoyed between our Mr Blair and Mr Murdock??? It's handy that Freeview will be effecively held back so that more subscriptions can be sold:devil:

10. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    This reaction taken from NTSC-UK forum:

Does anyone know the answer?

11. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    presumably once analogue transmissions cease in your area you will be given a voucher to redeem in a shop for a very very basic freeview receiver to enable you to receive TV and still pay for your licence...

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    In fact, if a TV is not used at all for reception of broadcast TV (not just BBC - any), and there aren't any Sky Boxes, Freeview Boxes, VCRs etc etc in use either, then a licence is not needed.

13. Mr Pumpkinhead

Mr Pumpkinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The Executive summary of Ofcom’s review can be found here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ddr/summary/

I can see some sense in their view of free market vs. regulation but question some of there research findings, namely:

“1.39 High definition television, by contrast, was not identified in our research as a major source of broader value to society. A bigger choice of channels was rated more highly, for both citizen and consumer interests, and HD was seen mainly as a premium consumer product, similar to mobile television.”

I’m not sure who they asked and when, but I guess that wouldn’t be the response from these forums.

“1.79 This consultation, published on 19 December 2006, lasts for 13 weeks. The closing date for responses is 20 March 2007.”

Anyone fancy setting up an online petition?

14. paul-av-tech

paul-av-tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Wireless Telegraphy Act states:

<snip>

363 Licence required for use of TV receiver

(1) A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part.

<endsnip>

If a TV has a tuner unit capable of reception - even though it is not being used for this purpose - it 'could' lead to prosecution. It would be advisable to use a dedicated monitor without reception capability.

I seem to remember many years ago a case where a tv and vcr were being used for playback of pre-recorded material. As the appliances were capable of reception the owner was successfully prosecuted.

15. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    That wouldn't be the response from these forums but then these forums are hardly representative of the general public to whom hd is currently not important.

The important word there though is 'currently'. By 2012 the price of hd ready large screen televisions will have dropped to a point that vastly increases their ownership so hd broadcasting will be important in the future so to rule it out on freeview now would be very short sighted

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    What an appalling decision, mind you perhaps they could concentrate on giving freeview to everyone. Some of us still can't receive it despite being the FIRST area to have analogue turn off in 2007.

17. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    Ofcom do need to get their heads out of their backsides and take another look.
    They should be looking getting freeview out across all of the country and getting HD out on freeview.

DCMS should be looking at this one everyone should be able to benefit from HD.

Even though I've got Sky HD this decision is worst possible outcome for the HD/ Digital community.

Ofcom should hang their head in shame

18. GarethE

GarethE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OFCOM have far from made up their mind, this is simply a standard consultation document. If you also go on to read para 1.40 it says-

"1.40 It is possible, of course, that attitudes to an innovation like HD may change. In time, consumers and citizens may come to expect some HD content to be available to everyone free of charge, just as colour is now. But the evidence that this will happen is not strong right now."

I would suggest that anyone who wants to share their views with OFCOM does so using the official route at the following link-

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/244504/

It's not to late to lobby OFCOM on this so I hope this information helps.

19. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    If OFCOM are acting in our interests, then why is it that channels like BidUp TV, QVC, ITV Play etc are allowed to suck up valuable bandwidth on the Freeview platform? Why not kick them off and get some HDTV on there?

Even the +1 channels from Channel Four, as useful as they can be, aren't essential.

20. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  21. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Thanks, just sent them this. Forgive me if I repeat anything or make clumsy mistakes, was in a hurry.

22. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

There is already an online petition that I've found here

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/openhdtv/

23. Mr Pumpkinhead

Mr Pumpkinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    From the Keynote speech given at MIPTV:

“It's critical that Freeview evolves as a compelling and competitive alternative to cable and satellite – in its response to Ofcom's Digital Dividend Review, the BBC argues for the allocation of spectrum to Public Service Broadcasters to develop free-to-air, universally available HD channels on Freeview.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/speeches/stories/highfield_miptv.shtml

24. Mr Pumpkinhead

Mr Pumpkinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  25. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I'm not sure what it is, but whenever I see or hear the name "Tessa Jowel" I immediately think "out of touch" and dare I say it, "mildly incompetent". This doesn't help.

So, what exactly IS their plan? They've told us what they aren't going to allow to happen, but not what we should expect to see. Do they seriously believe that HDTV is a flash in the pan, are the honestly planning on having us watch 720x576 MPEG-2 for the next few decades? Or do they think that watching TV on a phone is seriously going to take off?

I'm just baffled, HDTV is the obvious upgrade path.

26. Osamede

Osamede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Spot on!!

27. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Since when did politicians want to do what's good for the public?
    As usual this is all about the 'right' people making as much money as they can.:(
    I'm suprised though that with the amount of pressure put to our leaders, that they didn't even make an effort this time.
    After all we wouldn't like nice Mr Murdoch to have to put up with competition for Sky would we!!!! He might not support us in his media at the next election!:suicide:

28. Osamede

Osamede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thats not even the best part of the story. This guy is basically gobbling up all the media in the UK (ITV on deck next) and thus just about runs govt policy by proxy. Yet he is a tax cheat and doesnt even pay tax in this country.

I mean if you changed the name of the country in question to "Russia" or "Ukraine", no one would bat an eye, yet we are taling here about the UK!! Wow...

Its just incredible really. The casualty will be the BBC, because at this the rate that HDTV owenership is rising, there is going to be a revolt against the BBC licence, when punters realise that their own govt is forcing them to BOTH pay a tax (BBC licence) AND then pony up to make Rupert Murdoch's grandkids into multi-billionaires instead of mere billionaires.

29. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I totally agree:hiya: The problem is that as media controls how people think and behave, I can't see any way that the vision you have can be stopped.:thumbsdow
    This applies whatever political party is in power. The only way it would change is for the Public to apply pressure and for the non-Murdoch media to highlight the issue and keep it in the public arena.
    I guess that means that the BBC MUST do something to ensure it doesn't get sidelined as Murdoch increases his power and influence.
    It's a real pity that the so-called 'Watchdog' organisations consistently fail in their supposed duty to protect the public from just this sort of thing. They will say they have no power of course, but they could certainly ensure greater publicity of the issue.
    The average Currys/Comet customers will, of course, continue to be bambozzelled into the Sky package and sold whatever the Moguls want the person to have.:suicide:
    One small ray I've spotted is that Gordon Brown is apparantly thinking of ditching Tessa Jowl as media boss. Perhaps we might get someone who a) Possibly actually understands the issues and b) might actually have the Public Interest at heart instead of the Murdoch Agenda and his ever more demanding pressure to increase his control and profits:lease: :lease: :lease:

30. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    How about this then?

A new department for the Creative Industries could replace the existing DCMS structure, which Jowell heads.
    Gordon Brown's former economic advisor Ed Balls is thought to be in the running to head the new department.

This Guardian story from early last year 'How Murdoch plans to win friends and influence people'
    tells us about a list of MPs from all parties that BSkyB would like to 'have on board'.

Labour MPs

Ian Austin, Ed Balls, Liam Byrne, Jon Cruddas, Natascha Engel, Paul Farrelly, Kerry McCarthy, Pat McFadden,
    Shahid Malik, John Mann, Ed Miliband, Jessica Morden, Siôn Simon, Kitty Ussher, Tom Watson

It would make a good story for an investigative reporter. Although I doubt a
    Murdoch tv channel or newspaper would be interested:oops: