1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadcast Quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Rookies, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I am still cant believe the Quality that comes from sky is some time sooo crap. Like this evening on BBC1 and ITV the images were blocky or grainy what ever you call it, ie skin not smooth like you would get through standard ariel.

I first at once though it my tv that is crap but picture seems mile better on standard ariel sometime and DVD plays great. So it gotta be sky or broadcast that send signals to sky users.

Cant they do less compression? Do you think sky will improve it for us that got 100 hz digital processing tvs. Also my box is 3 years old would a new one make any different?

2. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently they broadcast this dire low bit quality to save money. Also there are no quidelines for digital broadcast quality unlike analogue.
    Interestingly there is another thread on this forum that is talking about HDTV in britain...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65885[/URL]

I Presume HDTV would need a much higher bit rate to give a decent picture- (More money spent) to be acceptable. Can't see it happening myself.

:suicide: look new smiley.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Both the BBC and ITV are in total control of the picture quality their channels are broadcast at. They both rent transponder capacity directly from the satellite operators and all SKY does it give them EPG placement and subscription postcode managment.

As Pod Person says there are no set in stone regualtions dealing with the minimum acceptable quality when it comes to mpegII digital broadcastings within or too the UK.
    It's not right but it is understandable when commercial operations look to reduce costs by using higher compression but it's totally unacceptable the BBC the so called public broadcaster funded by the license fee is not setting standards that would lead the world in this technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.