1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadcast Quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Rookies, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I am still cant believe the Quality that comes from sky is some time sooo crap. Like this evening on BBC1 and ITV the images were blocky or grainy what ever you call it, ie skin not smooth like you would get through standard ariel.

I first at once though it my tv that is crap but picture seems mile better on standard ariel sometime and DVD plays great. So it gotta be sky or broadcast that send signals to sky users.

Cant they do less compression? Do you think sky will improve it for us that got 100 hz digital processing tvs. Also my box is 3 years old would a new one make any different?

OOPS WRONG FORUM AND I HAVE TRIED TO DELETE IT BUT IT DISABLED SO MOD CAN YOU DO IT FOR US.

2. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M8 it has to be your signal because it cant be compression - I have a 56 inch 100 hz 16:9 tosh rear projection and I have a picture that is almost upto dvd standard - it just doesn't have the same sharpness - but that is probably because sky had no ee.

I did have a problem with my old pace box where anything on e4 would block and almost fall apart and everything had serious ee, but as soon as I got my sky+ I haven't seen any blocks or any compression artifacts at all. Infact sky+ has also fixed the chroma bug, which was awful on my original pace.

Also whats all this about 100hz tvs and sky? This should make 0 difference if your tv does 100hz correctly like most toshibas and sonys do. Are you using RGB?

3. j4sonk

j4sonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on 50 hz rear projection sets you probably wont notice all the digital nasties.for me going from a rear pro to a tosh 36 i can see a incredible difference.make sure your sky cable has no joins in as this can severely reduce quality,i couldnt get e4 and some other channels when i did this.

4. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    To the above to guys

If you both have sky plus or sky digital can you please tell me your signel reading so i can compare.

I though about having a new box and get it all set up again just incase as my box is 3 years old.

Also are you looking close enough to see these effect as i am not the only one.

Cheers

5. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a 56 inch tv, so it is hard not to look close enough:)

I am constantly tring to get the best from the tv - I have disabled the sets SVM, accessed the service and design menus etc. The 56who8 is an incredible tv - and I have used a 41inch sony 4:3 50hz rear projection, then a 28inch dcr-mf sony 16:9 CRT, then a panny plasma and now a 56 inch 100hz toshiba rear, so I like to think I look close enough.

Before I sold my sony 41inch 50hz set I did compare it to my 56inch 100hz and noticed no 100hz artifacts whatsoever. The 50hz looked very pale, unstable and lifeless in comparison.

The toshiba makes sky look just as good as a DVD, and I use a Toshiba 510 via component.

If your box is 3 years old then I recomend a new one.

I had the 1st pace box and it was bloody awful compared to my new sky+.

1. It always crashed
    2. It was too slow
    3. The picture was very blocky (crap video dacs if you ask me)
    4. Really bad chroma bug (my toshiba has very good detail levels and can pickup on the chroma bug real easy
    5. Really bad EE (edge enhancement)

The sky+has..

1.Never crashed
    2.Very quick
    3.Never gets blocky
    4.Chroma bug is still there, but is alot less extensive
    5. No EE

My signal strength is about 75% and my Quality is 90%.

I say again, upgrading to sky+ was a huge improvment is picture quality - and sound for that matter as I can use my a1sr's dacs instead of the crap ones in my old sky box.

I hope this helps!

6. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    God I just dont know what to do or what to think.

It either

My TV that cant cope with sky.

My Sky box is not working as good as new ones do

Or the broadcast coming from sky is crap.

What I cant understand is why some programs are great and some are not, this what make me think it that sometime broadcast compress there program too much hence the reason I see this blocks on people skins etc.

DVD play very very well on my tv so it just not add up

7. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really do thinks its your skybox then - I remember ER and West Wing were almost unwatchable, kept breaking into blocks every few seconds. In fact I can even remember some mosquito wire artefacts around any static image - every frame would look like a badly compressed jpg image.

It was one of the main reasons why I went to sky+ - in the hope that they were using better video dacs etc. and it had a digital out. Since changing to sky+ I haven't seen one block.

Sky+ solved all the problems I had previously and gave me a picture that is almost as good as DVD.

The whole recording thing was just a bonus!:)

8. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Hi,

Well I have been thinking of getting sky + for a bit but i am kinda put off from the quality i am getting now. But if it was to improve things like it has for you I may look into it further.

Well right now Back to the future III is great on ITV on my Sky Digi box. Football on Sky Sport 1 is showing good.

That what makes it hard for me understand why some programs films are showing how i like it and some showing blocky people etc.

Maybe I will give sony service centre a call tmr and see what they say, and what they think it is.

Then get onto sky and see what i can sort out with them

Cheers for your helo

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Every channel that is carried on SKY and digital and digital terrestrial can broadcast at whatever bitrate it chooses and that is why some channels look better than others.
    Some broadcastors use statistcal multiplexing which gives X amount of channels Y amount of bandwidth which is then shared between them. This method only works if some channels can manage on lower bitrates when others need high bitrates, unfortunatley on ITV in particular regional variations are getting rare so the channels are showing the same programs at the same time so if it's a footy match then they will all be lower than the required bitrate.
    This also explains why some programs on the same channel can look better than others.

DVD's use the same compression technology but are a premium product and are treated as such by the distribtors, they are authored and mastered by proffesionals who can take their time to compress a movie.
    SKY and other digital platforms do a lot of their compression in real time, that combined with limited bandwidth and no picture quality regulations mean broadcast standard resolution digital TV is never going to be as good as DVD.

10. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    So it either

I have to try and live with it

Or

go back to a 50hz tv where that i did not notice any of these problems i have notice on my 100 digital plus tv. I have notice that the picture are alot more clear and in dept on my new set so this is why it showing the bad part of the picture more easier

is that correct

11. j4sonk

j4sonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    read your manual and try to remove all processing that can be disabled,dnr etc.unfortunately tv's are getting better since the advent of dvd,unfortunately i can honestly say that you will probably always notice some artifacts on a good quality crt with 100hz.unfortunately sky was never meant to be a high definition media.

12. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I would say it is S*Y's fault that the picture quality recently has dropped, as I am getting a ropey picture as well. I bet it is linked to the new cards, ie downgrade picture quality beforehand and then upgrade as cards go out to lots of customers, BINGO! new cards have increased picture quality!

gb--

13. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I truly cant see a new card is going to make any different :confused:

It might do but what the chance of that. I know everyone is soon to be getting a new card etc but I cant see that making a different thou

14. RON

RON
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tonight i must say the picture on my bbc digital top box of back to the future was great just seemed as good as a dvd

15. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I agree with you there RON. It was very good on sky digital aswell, it the first program or film i have watch on sky since i had my new tv that appears to be very good.

I honestly now think it all down to how the broadcast send the signals

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Please post only once.I've closed the other one.

17. Kearney

Kearney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Back to the future 3 on my 4 year old sky digibox looked good yesterday so does any news report be it sky, ITV, BBC etc.

I can see compression marks on my 50Hz CRT 25 incher so anything bigger will be even worse won't it

:smoke:

18. Frank

Frank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rookies,
    I fully agree with you on the picture quality point. I have a 28" 50hz LS35, and sony sky box, and get the same problem. Its only on primetime bbc/itv channels. The answer, (suggested by the wife...) 'blockbusters can sort this out', thinking she knew of some great software/hardware add-on or update. No. The movie hire shop.
    It must be what they send, not what I've got. Now I just don't watch it.

On another note, if the signal strength is split to transmit the same on several reg. variation stations, is this why its poor?
    We should be told.

19. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I find DTTV looks fine perhaps DSTV uses a lower bit rate now. BBC can look stunning

20. tincan

tincan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Signal strength about 80% and signal quality about 40%. Does this seem poor? Alot of the time the picture though sky is quite poor, only on sky movies, MTV and a few other channels does the pic seem acceptable(BBC not included).

21. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    There was me thinking of getting digital TV to give my RP TV a better signal feed than analogue?

By the sounds of it not many of you would reccomend this? Maybe I would be better getting decent antenna and a freeview box?

22. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    DTTV is pretty good and free:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

23. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    I guess I need to try an borrow a box and try it, or find out how strong the signal is in my area. Trouble is I don't know anyone that has it. Every bugger I know has sky.:confused:

24. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pretty good down here (South Coast) but it depends on what the broadcaster decides to do..... Just like Sky.......

25. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yes 40% is pretty low, I would not be surprised if you lost picture every time you got some heavy rain.
    How do you mean pictures are poor?

26. Kearney

Kearney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How do you get a new box from sky if the old one is still working as mine will be 5 years old this october?
    If so how much does it cost :confused:

27. tincan

tincan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By poor I mean sometimes blocky sometimes grainy. Started to notice it more since I upgraded to a 36" Tosh. Is It my sky box or do you think the dish needs realinging.

P.S I do lose the signal in even light rain.

28. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    The difference in quality between different channels on SKY dig. has become more apparant to me over this weekend.

I took delivery of my Sony LS60 and watched a bit of the footy over the weekend.

The image quality on BBC1 and SKY Sports was very good but the match on BBC2 last night was far worse. Much more blockier etc.

With that many channels coming down the pipe now i suppose something has to give.

Can any confirm/disprove that a new SKY digibox sorts out "compression" problems etc.

I may have to replace my 4 year old grundig box if that is the case.

Cheers

29. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well if your digibox was faulty then fot the standard £65 call out they will probably replace although there is no guarantee you would get a brand new digibox.
    The otherway would be to try and fool SKY into believing you are a new subscriber by cancelling your current subscription and signing up under another name.

If you want to be honest then I don't see any reason why SKY wouldn't sell you one of those miniboxes for £99 or the standard boxes for £169, it would be foolish on their part to risk losing a subscriber because they wanted to buy a digibox from them.
    The actual retail value of digiboxes is hard to figure out as you rarely see them in the high street.

Brymar sells the latest models for £269.

30. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The low signal quality could indeed be the result of a slightly misaligned dish or just a poor cable between the LNB and the digibox. You should be looking at 40% during bad weather and double that in clear weather.

You will find that the way a modern TV handles digital signals can also make them look worse as the larger screens and signal processing can magnify compression problems.
    Blocky pictures would seem to be the result of too high compression on some channels and grainy well that's probably more to do with the source material I would have thought but grainy is a very subjective description:)