Broadcast image not showing - 5 wks and counting....

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by andyrap, Apr 29, 2007.

1. andyrap

andyrap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For about 4 weeks I've had problems with my V+ and Virgin seem no closer to fixing it. Short story is the image disappeared (connected through HDMI) but I knew that there was no problem with my TV or the cable as the program guide would display. Sound was fine, everything in the guide fine just no image.

Was intermittent at first and then constant. So, whilst waiting for Virgin to send someone out (after having them tell me all the usual reset/power off stuff), I changed back to Scart and it worked for a time before doing the same thing. Guide picture but no image.

The day an engineer was due to come out it all started working again so I cancelled the appointment only for it to stop the next day. Next engineer slot was over a week later so I had to move my second original STB downstairs so we could watch anything (this worked fine).

Engineer came out and 'fixed' the problem. I was in India at the time so my girlfriend was there when he visited. He didn't test the HDMI output - just left it on Scart - but at least we had the image back.

I've been back for 4 days and set up the HDMI which worked fine although we had lost all V+ functionality - error message saying we do not currently subscribe so was not able to access any recordings or watch HD. Spent half an hour on the phone to technical yesterday although they were unable to resolve so are sending another engineer this week.

This evening, once more the image disappeared through HDMI (guide still working), and tried swtiching to Scart which looked like it was going to work and now nothing does. Sound is fine but no image through HDMI or Scart now (or guide either), so old box brought down again.

All of this means that for 5 weeks, I have had no HD and all the hassles of trying to resolve, get through to Virgin and have an engineer visit at a suitable time. I was thrilled when we were set up with Virgin and over the moon about the service they were offering. Had no problems getting through to anyone to begin with and was pleased they were sticking their fingers up at Sky. Was annoying to lose Lost but accepted it.

Now, I am hugely disappointed at the service we've had. All this time and no resolution yet, getting through on the phone takes forever and I have little confidence in them to fix it. Aaaah, rant over.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with the V+ box? Is there any other reset I can do other than the Reset button itself? A total system restart or similar? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. bertybenno

bertybenno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,can feel your frustration.your not the only one whose having trouble on my 3rd box in 13 months.you may as well try a complete format heres how good luck.
    Press the HOME Button

Press down the Play button for 5 seconds (E-00 Will appear on the display)

Press the TV Drive Button (or v+) (E-01 Will appear on the display)

Press the CH - button 4 times. (As you do this hdd1, hdd2, hdd3 and then hdd4 will appear on the display)

Reformatting will then begin and rFt will appear on the display.

3. andyrap

andyrap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tip. May have to try this. I guess it would mean losing all content I currently have on my hard drive? Assuming it's still there that is what with the V+ subscription not working.