1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broadcast everything (possible) in widescreen and be done with it

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Joe Pineapples, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Ok, my attitude to widescreen broadcasts, and the fact that i've just bought a new WS TV, are probably not totally unrelated;). But isnt it time that all the terrestrial channels broadcast everything they possibly can, in 16:9, and do away with the hotch potch 14:9(?) they keep shoving out. I have no problem with old titles filmed in 4:3, but the 14:9 format seems a total waste of time for everyone - wether they have a WS Tv or not.

Another thing is, why do the BBC & ITV broadcast stuff through digital, in 16:9, yet not like that through the standard analogue signal?.

Dean

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    14:9 is broadcast on analogue as it is a good compromise between 4:3 and 16:9. This way they try and not upset the 4:3 owners which IMO is fair enough.

Best keeping true WS (16:9) to digital where viewers have the choice on how they view it.

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't get digital here with an aerial and there is no way in hell i will pay for Sky whose service consists of constantly talking over the end titles of any programme they broadcast (( we're all dumb and we don't know what programme is on next ))

All analogue broadcasts should be 16/9 if they were shot that way and all films should be original aspect ratio, thats my thoughts on this matter, no compromises just do it.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Ok then they it would have to be in anamorphic 16:9 if done properly.
    That wouldn't go down well with 4:3 owners.

And likewise it'd be pretty much a waste of time in non-ana 16:9 letter box format for WS TV owners.

Now do you see why it's done in 14:9 and why 16:9 would just not work well on analog.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    The main reason why it is possible to broadcast digital stuff in true 16x9 without upsetting 4x3 owners, is that digital STBs can be configured to produce a 4x3 signal from a 16x9 broadcast if that's what the viewer wants. (Zooms in to the vertical centre of the image).

Whereas this simply isn't possible on analog. So they HAVE to broadcast analog signals as 4x3 - otherwise they'd be barraged with complaints about either 'black bars' or incorrect/distorted shapes.

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually most 4/3 televisions sold over the last ten years have a manual switching facility allowing you to switch an anamorphic image to its correct ratio.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    Yes indeed, but that always results in 'black bars'. And you only have to look at forums like this for posts about 'I thought anamorphic DVDs were supposed to fill my 16x9 TV but I've still got those horrid black bars' to give you a feel for how many 4x3 owners (as a sweeping generalisation, likely to be less AV aware than 16x9 users) would similarly complain.

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets have a revolution, widescreen and High Definition broadcasts please with 5.1 sound, i remember the days (( well no i don't actually but you get the idea )) when the United Kingdom led the world now we seem to be falling behind everyone.

Note to Sky television, bring in High Definition with 5.1 sound AND lower your prices and i might have you in my home.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Last week they transmitted the Oscars in 14:9 on the BBC over the digital system yet showed it in W/S on terrestrial. Why I do not know as the generally transmit in 16:9 and 4:3 (with the digi-box in the right mode), and 14:9 or 4:3 for terrestrial viewers.

I think the 14:9 was a meant as a stop gap when W/S TV were in there infancy. Also I think some programs where filmed back then in 16:9 with an eye on repeating them in the future in 16:9, but shown in 14:9.