1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by STOWITBELOW, Jan 21, 2005.

1. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I indulged with BT over 12 months ago but the recent bargains on offer made me consider changing ISP. I rang BT to see what to do & was told my 'classic' £25 pm 512 kb package could be upgraded to unlimited 1mb service 'no charge'. :clap:
    I'm still changing to Carphone warehouse as they are doing a good phone/internet deal. I'm also p***ed off BT never thought to just upgrade me, but carried on taking my money. Anyway if you're a classic customer ring querrying cancelation & get upgraded.
    CarPhone whs deal is the same, but with your phone includes free evening & weekend landline calls (even for the 512kb £20 deal) Also until month end they are doing £10 inclusive all day national landline calls. (not non-geographics) Pm me, I recommend you I also get a reward if you're feeling kind! :lease:

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Just for info a smooth migration over & helpfull staff who seem to have worked on answering the phone quick.

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for info. Just fired note off to my suppliers, PIPEX, to see what actions they will take to keep my custom :cool: based on CPW price.

4. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DJW,

keep us informed of any progress. I am currently with Pipex as well. Have been for 2-3 years now. Considering changing if other deals come up.

Have herad CPW service may not be that great, from other users. But try and see I suppose!!

5. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I rand BT to cancel and was offered the 1mb upgrade. When I said I didn't want it they dropped my rate to £21.99 per month.

6. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Why don't they just reduce the 'BB rent' anyway. However CPW sub £20 p/m deal includes 'free evening local calls' (normaly £4 p/m @ CPW, £6p/m@ BT), so is effectively either 'free' or BB costs £16p/m if you already pay for the service. As for calls, BT rang me saying theyve reduced some costs. I said I was now with CPW & didn't even get a sales pitch, she obviously knew CPW guarantee to undercut BT. (may not be always be by much, but these BB/phone deals seem pretty good to me)

7. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507

Same here. Will of been with Pipex for a year in May. Although i have had a good service from them they are not the cheapest and feel i could get a 1meg line for what im paying now for my 512k.

Dal

8. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well nothing back from email to PIPEX yet...... amazing how Customer Service worsens when you want some money off :lesson: ;)

Oh well, on to the dog & bone then . I'll keep ya posted.

9. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,299
    Dont hold your breath on Pipex. i was with them almost 3 years, however now am with Hi Velocity for 19.50 512 uncapped.

when i offered pipex to knock a few quid off for me to stay (didnt even have to match HV just go down to say 21 quid as i was pleased with the service, & they said nay!.

FYI despite some early teething issues with unfortunate hardware failures (of which HV were very open & informative) i am very happy with them.

10. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507

Ill have to look into these as thats a pretty good price for 512k uncapped.

i assume u where on the solo500 package for £23.50?

Dal

11. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi MikeKay1976

How have you found the service from Hi velocity? I'm also on the Pipex Solo offering at 23.50 and want to switch since tey aren't willing to alter
    the pricing structure.

Ta

:)

12. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Have you looked at
    Eclipse they offer uncapped 512K for approx £20/mth with the option to 'Flex up' to 2 MB, if your line can take it, for 9p/min for 1Mb and 11p/min for 2Mb. Pretty good deal if you only need extra speed infrequently.

Very smooth migration from BT and good CS.

Lobsterpot.com or .biz can't remember, offer 1MB capped for £12/mth I think can't remember now?

Cheers

Mel

13. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,299
    thats correct.

you missed the boat a little, they had an offer on over chrimbo, 23.99 for uncapped 1MB for the life of your contract, or untill the price dropped below that. i was going to go for it, till a change i my circumstances meant i couldnt afford the regrade fee, &the xtra few quid a month.

14. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,299
    now they are mint, for a week i had some speed issues, however they are sorted now. they were very imformative.

head on over to their forum

http://forum.hi-velocity.net/

they dont hide any threads, good or bad, so you can get a feel of how they keep their customers informed.

just bear in mind, many people dont post if they are happy - there are a few posts about slow speed, but i honestly am very happy am with them.

15. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,071
    Just had an email from BT to say they are upgrading my Broadband to a 2mb service at no extra cost and giving me the next 3 months at a reduced rate.

:thumbsup: BT

16. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Got this e-mail yesterday aswell :smashin:

We're always looking for ways to offer BT Yahoo! Broadband customers the best possible service, and that's why we're busy upgrading your line to 2Mb. That's twice your current speed. You will be pleased to know that, as a BT Yahoo! Broadband 1Mb customer, you'll receive this upgrade first. In addition, we're reducing your price for three months, giving you even better value.

You don't have to do a thing
    Rest assured, this upgrade is at no extra cost to you and it requires no extra equipment. It will happen sometime between 17th February and 9th March 2005.

Most upgrades will take place automatically - you won't need to do anything and there will be no need for an engineer to visit. On the actual day of the upgrade, you may experience a short loss of service - this should be less than 30 minutes. In the unlikely event that your line cannot support 2Mb, we'll let you know as soon as possible.

Not a penny more
    We're reducing the cost of your BT Yahoo! Broadband service by £2.99 a month (from £29.99* down to £27.00*) for three months from February or March - depending on your billing date.

17. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I am with NTL, they also told me that next month they will upgrade my connection from 750k to 2MB for the same price of £25 a month, looks like all the companies are doing it :clap:

18. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Shame about NTL is that they have said they will introduce an enforced cap on downloads. So more speed but less usage:(

19. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also got a letter from BT yesterday stating that they would upgrade my line from 1 meg to 2 meg sometime after the 17th Feb, however they also said they will reduce the charge to £24.99 - nothing about just the first 3 months. also they are reducing the limits down from 30 GB a month to 15 GB, so good news and bad. It would be nice to get some decent upload speeds too though. Anybody from Winchester here who is on the SWEB broadband trial, they get 1 mef upand down !!!

20. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

Hi Mark
    It's didn't say anything reducing download limits in my e-mail
    Not a penny more
    We're reducing the cost of your BT Yahoo! Broadband service by £2.99 a month (from £29.99* down to £27.00*) for three months from February or March - depending on your billing date.
    You'll keep your 30GB (gigabyte) monthly usage allowance with your new 2Mb service. 30GB usage is more than enough for the vast majority of customers. For example, you can send and receive about 500 photos and watch 6 hours of video downloaded from the web each week.

21. jimbobaggins

jimbobaggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I got the same email as you guys.

However, I am led to believe that the download limits are an "advisory" until at least June and this was originally January - I was a beta tester.

You need to remember that just about the only reason to have a 2 meg line is to transfer large volumes of data. ie movies, or big games - not even music would make use of that size of pipe. This means that BT know that if you cap the pipe, you make all the big downloaders leave for another ISP, meaning you don't need the download cap any more.

I think the aim is to put off the 100Gb+ a month users, rather than stopping piracy as that is the reason broadband has grown so fast - ie it is BT's best marketing tool.

It's a bit like having an 'all you can eat' and banning anyone over 10 stone!

22. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just double checked my letter and to confirm this is what it says

As an existing 1MB customer, your speed will automatically be upgraded to our 2MB service.

It won't cost you a penny more, infact four pounds less, this reduction is effective from the first of feb

(so far so good)

A Fair Policy on Usage
    As you may recal we've mentioned our monthly usage policy to you in the past (they haven't, in fact I singed up the day before they introduced it and they didn't tell me anything). This is designed to give a fairer deal and a better service to everyone-there's no point in paying for something you don't use. Your new 2MB service will come with a 15 GB monthly usage allowence which is more than enough for the vast majority of users............... It then goes on to give examples of how many pictures I can send a week etc, and finishes by telling me I can monitor my usage online.

I'm on BT not BTYahoo, so don't know if this makes a difference, I'd been thinking about going to Bulldog when my contract expires in June, guess I'll see how the next few months go.
    I use my connection for Xbox live, Pc gaming, Surfing, I am an Eseason Ticket holder at www.liverpoolfc.tv so I can get commentry from the games when I'm at work, My wife has an I pod and d/loads music a lot, and because I work on most Tuesday evenings I've downloaded a few episodes of Stargate Atlantis :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: so we use the t'internet loads, but not sure if I've ever used 30 GB in 1 month. Oh you can top up if you run over BTW

23. benshaw

benshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am not normally a fan of capped products but my current ISP www.f2s.com has a 2mb/50gig service for £24.99pm. Which makes my uncapped 1mb at £35pm seem rather expensive for the 8 months of the year i don't exceed 50gig a month.
    Their service is excelent and I have never received heavy usage complaints, which is something you should watch out for on the uber cheap 2mb deals.

Ben

24. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No doubt those peeps with PIPEX have seen the latest changes from the PIPEX website, not much good (possibly) for those people whose lines aren't able to take 1mb as the 512kb solo offering has been dropped completely from their list of available offerings :(

Gary

25. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507

So theres not much chance of them upgrading us to the 1meg line.

cant believe its the same price but double the speed - :eek:

Dal

26. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I have just talked to Pipex who have said that all Solo 500 customers will be upgraded to the Solo 1000 service free of charge and no increase in the monthly fee.

The upgrades will take place over the next six months but you can assure a quick upgrade for a fee of £15. Apparently, you can do this from their web site.

I don't know if people who can only get 512k max will get a price reduction though.

27. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing as we couldn't originally get 512k till BT removed the limits for it in October 04, the chance of us being able to get 1mb with the 60db limit is very unlikely - hence i'll be moving from Pipex if i'm still paying £23.44 for 512K whilst others are paying that for 1mb :(

Gary

28. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recentrly upgraded two of my broadband connection to Bulldog 4Mb for £30 pcm (no connection fee). The monthly charge includes the line rental. There is no cap on the amount of donwloads.

29. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Crikey, that was brave. :eek:

Bulldog have a reputation for having no customer service at all, and their performance rating at www.adslguide.org.uk is absolutely miserable compared with most ISPs. (The latter only covers 512K performance, admittedly).

30. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The customer service is getting better (I also had Bulldog before).

The new Bulldog connections are using Bullgod's own equipment in local exchanges and not piggy backing on the BT wholesale.

My old Bulldog connection (2Mb) was rarely performing on the stated speed.

The new connection appears most of the time to download around 475KB/sec, which is bang on spec.