1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband woes

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by PJTX100, Jun 28, 2005.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I signed up with BT's Broadband basic in March. When it works I'm happy. But from day 1 it's been unstable. But unstable in a very predictable way.

Every Mon-Fri somewhere between 8am-9am the signal is lost. I can't get any connection then until sometime between 17.00 and 18.00 is comes back. Generally then it's OK, but sometimes it goes down frequently - every 5 mins the line drops. This dropping every 5 mins seems to be getting worse. In a way it's more annoying than it being totally unavailable for most of the working day - 'caus I'm usually not at home then!

I've contacted BT about it, they test the line and say it's OK. I'm getting nowhere. The fact that nothing on my PC / or in the house / changes when the line comes back suggests it's a problem with my connection to the local exchange. But why it's such a regular problem I don't know.

Any suggestions?

...PJ :)

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    We used to have a problem with our BT broadband where it dropped the connection ever y time the phone was used. We could reconnect, but it was still annoying! After much head scratching, (BT couldn't work out what the problem is), they changed our phone line which runs from outside the house to the green box at the top of the road.

Just phone BT, explain that there is a problem and insist that they send an engineer to come and fix it. They will tell you the line is fine, but if you tell them it quite clearly isn't you want some one to fix it, then they should send an engineer with his laptop to establish and fix the problem!

If they are still reluctant, then mention compensation because the product they are providing is not the one you agreed to when you signed the contract.

3. Achy

Achy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had a similar problem which was finally resolved by changing my modem.

I was using a USB modem, and apparently they can be problematic.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Thanks. That's my thinking exactly....PJ :)

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    That's very interesting. I never really considered the modem because of how regular the outages are. Why would the modem be no good during the working day, yet largely OK during evenings? Unless the signal weakens or something and the modem I have is not very good with weak signals?

Did you have the same symptoms ie the signal was out Mon-Fri during the day?

...PJ :)

6. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Insist on an engineer visit!!! My Dad had the same problem. Went through all the usual stuff, line check, reinstall software, changed modem, change internal wiring, nothing helped. Engineer came out - recabled back from house to post - no better! Turned out in the end to be one of the ports on PCB card back at the exchange. Took over 2 months for them to sort but no problems since.

Good luck (maybe quote this story to them...)

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I have bought a netgear adsl wireless router, and have bt yahoo 2mb and it works like a dream mate. having said that I used to have a usb modem when I was with blueyonder and that worked a dream as well.

8. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure how this post will help :)

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Thanks, the more I read the more I'm convinced an engineer needs to visit. I've already been through some of the hoops you describe - reinstall s/w etc. No difference.

...PJ :thumbsup:

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Hmm. Yes I thought the same but I suppose it's nice to know someone's happy! :D

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've got BT Broadband, started at 512k and now at 2meg, with the same USB modem all the time and never had any problems so I'm not sure it'll be a modem problem.

John

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    :D my point was that my bt is working, and I had a usb modem working before, so it might no necessarily be because its a usb modem or because its bt broadband.

13. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I connect with Plus Net. Faultless service on dial up. Quick reponse to e mail & phone calls - waited about 30 seconds for an operator last Friday lunchtime on an 0845 number. Just switching to BB. For £14.99 I get 2MB, free activation, free USB hub and free microfilter (or two - not sure). 50-1 contention wit unlimited downloads. Can't wait....:)

14. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If its a problem with at the exchange then changing providers won't help fix the problem as such. What you may find though is that the new ISP has a much better Helpdesk and will take ownership of the problem (they'll hassle BT for you :) )

15. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BTW I can recommend Plus Net as they helped with a similar (but worse) problem one of our clients had

16. vauny

vauny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had similar problems. The help desk are fairly helpful for a change.

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Just to close this one out, in case someone has similar problems. Finally got an engineer out, he identified that the "bell wire" was picking up a signal of some sort and making the signal/noise ratio not enough for the connection. Leaving the bell wire disconnected (which you can do apparently 'cause the microfilters make the phone ring) has sorted it. We suspect there's a radio ham or something locally and it was being picked up on the bell wire...PJ :)

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    My friend had a very similar problem, was arround baout 8-10 every night he would get constant disconnections and also sometimes in the morning. Got BT engineers out and everything (after much pestersing and a few weeks) but to no avail. The rewired a section and tested the line and everthing and it seemed fine. The problem wsa still happening, so he bought a netgear modem router and the problem hasn't returned. Although he does get the ocational (twice so far) lag spike, but this could be unrelated.

He might have had the same problem as you with interference and it could just be that the new modem is more tollerant? Anyway his problem is fixed and hes happy but not from any help from BT, although the ISP probably wasn't as useful as they could have been either.

19. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Yes, luckily my line was down when the engineer called (actually, it wasn't luck, it was down every weekday!) so he could instantly see the improvement taking the bell wire off caused....PJ :)