1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband wireless connection what do I need?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by alwyn, May 31, 2005.

1. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use a Sony laptop model vgn a117s it has communication of wireless lan 802 11b/g.bluetooth.At present,I am resticted to narrow band,but in july broadband is going to be available,and I would like to set up a wireless connection using a BT line.Can you give me advise on what make and type of wireless router would be best for this particular laptop.
    Hope you can help
    Thanks

2. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    You're going to be looking an ADSL wireless router, which will carry out the duties of receiving the internet, acting as a firewall, hub, and as a DHCP server as well.

There's a myriad of different ones out there, with Linksys and Netgear being the two ones i heard mentioned most frequently (though i'm using a 3COM).

Some of the routers also function as VPN end points, which will allow you to setup a secure connection from your office to your pc, which can be handy.

Take a look at ADSLGuides reviews , which may help with the decision making process.

3. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    First of all let me thank you for your reply.I was looking at the Sitcom adsl nitro xm router sold by Maplins (Their code A16BY) could you check if this is suitable for my needs,that is of course when you have the time.
    Many thanks once again
    alwyn

4. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Took a quick shifty at it, and it's only suitable for Telewest/NTL cable connections, and does not function as an ADSL modem.

I've looked through a series of reviews, and from what i've read, i'd go for
    the Linksys WAG-54G, which should do everything you need, and is £68 at Amazon, though you may be able to find it cheaper.

5. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thank you once again,you have been most helpfull.
    Kind regards
    alwyn

6. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will second the Linksys suggestion. I have used their gear on my Broadband (Blueyonder) for the last 4 years and it is just about perfect, does exactly what I want and Linksys/Cisco are on the ball when it comes to things like firmware upgrades and general support. I currently use a 54G Wireless router in the past I've had the standard cable router, various switches and wireless access points. In fact my original router is still in service at my brothers place and still going strong after 4 years of near continual service. The ADSL version is more or less the same just with the required bits for maintaining the ADSL connection. What ever make you decide on make sure it has WPA TKIP security (most do nowadays) and you have a clear understanding of wireless security requirements.

7. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thank you for that info.The fact of internet security that you mention,what is it that you are refering to that I should understand?
    alwyn

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    A wireless network uses radio waves to communicate between devices. Potentially any device which can receive these radio signals could connect to your network. I.e. your neighbour could switch on his laptop, see you have a wireless network and connect to it. As you can imagine that has some serious security concerns.

You can secure your network by restricting which devices connect to it, encypting the data sent over it, and restreicing how the network advertises itself to other computers. This can all be done by the router.

9. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thank you very much for your help
    Best wishes
    alwyn

10. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Da Baboon guy put it just like I would have done. I have seen quite a few Wireless networks which are unsecure, even for home use the implications are fairly serious. But in a business enviroment they are downright stupid. I once came across a company whose whole network was wide open including the PC they did all their accounts and payroll on! Presenting them with a copy of their latest accounts data convinced them to do something about their WLAN security. :lesson: