BROADBAND what should i know an who should i go with

ive been on NTL for about 5months now. not a cap in sight (thank god) It's been good to me, though my ping is a little erratic at times causing chaos when gaming, but mostly is fine.

Is a 512k connection sufficient for most needs including gaming, or should one go for the 1024k instead?

512kbs/600kbs is enough for online gaming alright and prices are coming down for it. It purely depends on how much you really want it and are willing to pay for the service. I went for the 1MB because I wanted to DL other things plus the line will be shared to 3 PCs networked at my flat.

Does any one know what deals you can get with NTL, with regards having there broadband, a small Sky package e.g. with Sky1, Sci-Fi channel and CNX plus there telephone service?

I have Telewest coming in at the end of the month. I'll be getting their Broadband, 321 Phone & the Supreme TV package all for £50.50/ month. I get the most expensive item free for the first month, free modem & just pay a one off £25 connection charge. At the moment I'm paying for Freeserve, Sky Digital & low user on the phone with BT and that costs about £62/month. The Telewest cost will go up when I add Sky Sports to the package but that depends on wether Sky themselves give me a deal thats cheaper 'cos I get to keep the Digibox they sent me. I did look into getting Broadband thru my BT line but they all said I was too far from the exchange. That was Tiscali, Boltblue and BT themselves. I did find this very surprising but the package from Telewest looks very good.

Same as you T-Force signed up with Nildram 1mb service activation Date is 22nd so im looking forward to that .

Hope it all goes well .

Hi.

Pros of broadband:
Always On
Fast

Cons:
Cost
Relese fees with some ISPs

I signed up with Nildram after looking at reviews of them. The line was setup exactly when they said it would be, although I bought a Netgear DG814 router separately since I need to network all our computers and everyone needs internet access. I've only had one problem with it not working so I rang Nildram. They asked me to run a few tests, and after which they said they would send a BT engineer out. The next day the engineer came, fixed the problem, then Nildram even rang me to check if it had been fixed correctly later that day.

The price isn't too bad, it might be a few pounds higher than some of the cheaper competition, but they've been around for a while, and the quality of support it outstanding.

Check www.adslguide.org.uk and have a look at the reviews- Nildram are nearly always top for customer service and speed, so I'd reccommend checking them out, although I'm sure they are others that are equally as good. A look on the forums there should prove very useful.

-Scott

thanks for all your replys and opinions i got a few more weeks before i can get it anyway but i have plenty of time to do my homework lol.thanks again

iv been with Giointernet.co.uk for the past couple of months now after gettin hooked up when i came home from uni...

its £18 per month for a 512k connection i get excellent speeds, i LOVE broadband.. as some one else said, i download more now (mainly been gettin red dwaf eps off Kazaa) in one day.. than i could in a month on 56k dial up...

my main advice to new users... is not to get the free modems that come with some of these providers... like BT and AOL... as these are modems that connect thru ur USB ports.. and are slow, and are heavy on ur system resourses.. this is where Giointernet(.co.uk) comes at an advantage... u can select not to have to get their modem... i got a PCI ADSL modem from Scan.co.uk and fitted it myself, and its been fine.

set up with gio, was first month (£18), and a deposit (one month as well) plus £50 connection fee...

the minimun connection time is 3 months... and when u cancle, they use ur deposit as fee for last month... wereas other ISPs like BT have a min 12 month contract.

also on BBand it is a MUST to have a firewall installed... as ur connection is on all the time... and open ports (even if u dont know it) can be hacked into...

try norton firewall... or www.zonelabs.com and get the free version of zonealarm (or pro if u want all the added gizmos)

this is a good thing to show u how good ur connection is ---> http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

One thing no broadband company seems to tell their customers is that installing plug and go broadband on the same line as a monitored alarm system will prevent it calling the police in the event of a break in.

You can get round this by having the phone company install an analogue NTE filter for the modem to plug into.

Or you can modify and fit one of the plug in type filters, if your good with a soldering iron. ( not recommended though ).

Whilst waiting for my 2Mb ADSL upgrade :devil: and trying my best to get on SDSL trials -- I thought I'd drop a note here to say haven't we missed on of the biggest issues here?

Contention
Contended services result in variable speeds depending upon time of day -- broadband is slower in the evenings.

Contention depends on how many people local to you, use the same service as you.

I am not sure this is still the case, but a couple of years ago an acquaintance of mine argued with me about the relative benefits of Cable broadband vs DSL. He loved his Cable broadband and would hear nothing against it and dissed DSL because he hated BT, until everyone in his area started to get it that is. He eventually changed to DSL because in the evenings his Cable broadband speed dropped below the speed he got with a 28.8k modem. Okay it was always on, but boy was it slow. Yes this happens with DSL too.

Check the stats and ask about that with the service provider before committing to a contract.

StooMonster

another vore for NTL, on 1MB connection and can't argue, get d/l speeds of around 120k/sec normally and if your a bit skint you can turn the speed down and save some cash and vice versa. Also free installation at moment

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom