1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband - what equipment should I go for?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by t-force, Apr 25, 2003.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I'm going to get an ADSL connection imminently and I'm leaning towards nildram's Home 500Lite £22.99 / month service - the only thing that slightly concerns me is the dynamic IP address - does having a static one make a vast difference - anyone care to explain?

It will mainly be used by my PC, for surfing, p2p, gaming etc, but I've also got a Cube, and I'm probably going to get a PS2 before too long, so will I need to get a router? Presumably with a router, I'd just plug in the cube and PS2 adaptors straight into this, and away I go. Will I need anything else to connect the router to my PC (I'm going for a wired connection, as I certainly don't need Wi-Fi or anything like that)?

Thanks in advance,

Toby

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would really go for a router/gateway instead of a USB modem.

Even though I only have one PC connected to the internet at one time- although I do have two other PC's, but I can't use them all at once! it's very useful. No drivers required. No host PC. Built-in 4 way network hub. The last straw with USB modems was the rubbish driver support for my Diamond USB Supra- no XP drivers.

I took my Netgear DG814 round a mate's (ADSL frog) he initially thought- why bother with a router?... his AMD host PC used to crash frequently.. so with the router if any PC crashes it does't affect the internet connection. Now he's gonna get a router.

Basically you just need runs of network cable. The router is your DHCP server

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I have had Nildram for around 5 months now, their service is very very good. The best support I have seen from an ISP.

Still if you have the opportunity to get cable that is the better solution.

Routers are definately needed when you have 2+ connections, it also allows for easy future upgrades.

4. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Definately. Much more flexible than USB modem. I've been with Pipex for a year now and had no problems

5. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I would have gone for cable had the option been open to me, but neither NTL nor Telewest cover my area :mad:

Ok, next question: can anyone recommend a good router? And what cable (and cards?) do I need to connect it to my PC?

THanks again,

T

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I purchased a Speedtouch 510 V4 router from dslsource, has been good as gold since day 1. Plugged it in in the morning i got it, (4 days before activation) and came home in the evening to find that i had been activated around lunchtime! I'm with pipex, and have had no troubles. I use standard 10/100 network cards in mine and my flatmates PCs. Standard Cat 5 cable is fine. This router also supports UPNP standard if that is important to you. (for me it means i can easily use messenger to have voice calls)

And about cable, i was initially distressed that i couldn't get it, but then was told that upload is capped at 128K! Not good if you run P2P and want to online game at the same time.

Oooh just remembered that setting up custom firewall rules on this router is a bit of a sod, no gui, you have to telnet into the router. But this isn't important for me, and opening up holes in the firewall for P2P and such like can be done from the web browser GUI.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Or 256K if you have a 1meg line. Fine for P2P, you just have to throttle your upload when playing online, I used to run edonkey and CS all the time.

8. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The speedtouch had definitely caught my eye, the firewall being potentially very useful. Presumably I'll need that and an ethernet card, but they are really dirt cheap now.

9. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I prefer to run primary node on my P2P software which uses up about 10KB/s, so cable would not have been good for this and CS. But i also forgot about the 256K on 1MB service, good point. Waiting to see what Pipex can offer me in terms of higher bandwidth next month when i start working.

I would throughly recommend the speedtouch, i don't even think about ethernet cards these days, the cat 5 cable costs more than the card!