Broadband Technical Question

Stiff Dog TD

Established Member
Reaction score
A real head scratcher for all you tech' heads out there,
ISP-BT
Mk3 Hub-in master socket-no other sockets now used in house.
Numerous laptops,PS3 etc
Approx 3Mg normal BB speed
Main(evil?) PC

All works well until main PC switched on, then BB speed falls away to virtually zero. I have tried totally disconnecting the PC from the hub,ie uninstall wireless card and unplug ethernet lead-still the same problem.
Scanned with various spyware programs, nothing found.
Microsoft security essentials running on PC.
PC is a 6 month old Acer M3970,windows 7.
As soon as the PC is switched off BB comes back to normal speed.
How can the PC cause this to happen?
I have tried to describe as briefly as I can my problem, if anyone has any answer we would all be most grateful.

Over to you guys.....

Dave.

Sounds like a problem with the pc is causing interference with the broadband signal. Its called REIN. Try moving it far away and turning it on and see if you get the same problem.

REIN, never heard of that one, will google it, out of interest the hub is downstairs in front room, PC upstairs in bedroom office but the rooms are above one another, will this still cause a problem?

Thanks for the help so far.

If the pc's effects go far enough it might not matter where you put it in your home. Do any of your neighbours have problems with their broadband speeds?

REIN is obviousley a much bigger issue than I knew, have tried moving my DECT phone from the side of the PC, cnnot turn on main PC just now as my son is streaming BBC and I would be out of favour for a long time if I knocked it off, will report back when I can.
Dave.

Neighbours not affected as far as they are aware, am going to fit ferrite rings to all mains cables associated with PC, I love a challenge and it looks like I have one.

All help much appreciated,

Dave.

Problem isolated down to the monitor, looks like it was the transformer which was causing the REIN. A lesson learnt here, many thanks to Deathtrap3000 for pointing me in the right direction.
Dave.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom