Broadband speeds under scrutiny

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by dazza1011, Sep 21, 2007.

1. dazza1011

dazza1011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
  2. t1m103

t1m103

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    no mention of cable providers,which is totaly nothing like the advertised speed.

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Yes, it's been posted before, but needs re-stating all the time, IMO :smashin:

Rip-off Britain again :thumbsdow

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    interesting, how are you measuring your speed, what speed are you on, who is your isp, and have you configured it all properly,

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Does that question really need asking?

I'm not being funny, but I totally agree with t1m103.

When you have a 20Mb connection and it can sometimes take 30 seconds to hit Yahoo, AVforums and BBC, one after the other, something's wrong.
    And it isn't anything to do with the setup or the vagories of the internet, IMO.

VM has a direct pipe to the Beeb, for instance.

6. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    obviously not for you! but then i was not asking you.

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Hah :D

Fair enough, I consider myself told :) :smashin:

8. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    no worries, but are you sure you are set up as well, and don`t forget, there are factors outside our 20mb download rate, such as load on the servers you are trying to access, I thought mine was slow, checked out configurations and downloaded the software to aid my pc and modem to cope and yes it was significantly improved.

look here.
    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

9. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    ps, if you are using testers such as speedtest.net then these are very vague, as, if the servers here are busy you will get very vague and inaccurate results, i cannot find the site now, but it gives a link to a download that in a very short space of time will reach your max download and show exactly how fast it is.

10. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    :D

I note the "OUR".
    I've been doing this for donkeys mate.

I was tuned into the original Government mainframe in Newcastle in 1975 :)

I know the difference between optimisation and a congested network, trust me.

I've nosed at the contention ratio for a long while (5 years plus) at my head end (Perry Barr)
    You're well over 250 users per modem that Cisco recommends as the max and that was ages ago. I can't nose anymore as Virgin stopped that.

Enough said, I think ;)

You can't defend it mate, you're trying to do too much with too little, simple as, hence the capping for the top 5% of users (yeah right)

11. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    so you are much better qualified than i am,
    surely though just because i have a 20 meg download, it is still controlled by the upload rate of what i am trying to download, sure my download speeds are dramatically faster at off peak times, are you trying to tell me that this is because i am capped and not because of busy servers elswhere on the net, and i certainly have not had to wait anything like 30 seconds for a page to open, even at peak times.

12. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923

No, not better qualified at all, just more experience of the real world :)

Yes, it's controlled by the upload rate of the site you're talking to, I agree :smashin:

So are you seriously saying that the 3 sites I mentioned (they're my yardstick) all had a problem at the same time?

I have had this problem lots of times mate and it isn't down to the originating sites :)

13. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    granted, you have many many more years in the real world than i have, i was still at junior school in 1975:eek::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: so you are certainly......wiser than I am;)
    surely though, and i do think i get capped as well at times,as i am not totally:suicide:, but surely at some point our (yes our) nice clean high speed connections fibre optic links get bottle necked and probably lumped in with all clutter that trundles down aunty BTs antiquated wires, resulting in a ruck for the front.
    I wonder if i was to link to another 20meg clean cable fed pc and download a file if i would get the true speed, but then at an upload rate of about 512meg would i even notice. surely it is only when multiple downloads take place it really comes into its own,

14. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I dunno - the article seems to focus on more people who are on the up to 8 meg prodcuts who aren't getting 8 meg. Now sorry, no matter how much you hate ISP's, that is not the ISP's fault. Your ISP cannot give you 8Mbps if your line cannot support it.

And because of that - people need to actually read the advert before they sign up.
    Ok, the UP TO should be in bigger print - but in the adverts I've seen, its not that small, and it should be seen be anyone who is interested in it.

However, there is a problem with throughput speeds. If I pay for a certain speed (and my line can handle it) then I should be able to get that. No "its peak time" BS. If I can't get the speed I should because its peak time - then more money should be spent on bandwidth. That should be the ISP / BT's problem - not mine.

15. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    @idj

You've lost me :confused:

So what you're saying is you can get the advertised speed if you go to the right place?
    What use is that?

And since when does the VM link to the Beeb involve BT :rotfl:

Give over, I'm going to bed :rotfl:

16. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    not saying anything, kind of asking really, my guess is the bbc servers are linked via BT in which case at some point the fiber optic cables get jumbled into the bt network at some exchange, surely we all get pushed into the network somewhere along the line, and as far as the right place i mean my VM link connected to another VM link on my exchange,
    surely we cannot blame virgin if the bottle neck is beyond their exchange.
    I am not trying to stick up for them, but at the same time i will not down them for what they cannot control,
    In the past when i have used speednet i have recorded speeds of 20503 was my fastest, but on saturday nights i have also recorded speeds of just over 1500, now that i put down to load on the speednet servers. are you saying it was because i was capped?

17. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Ask all you like :smashin:
    Fact is TW (replace that with VM if you like) had a direct connection with the Beeb, fact.
    4 hops at most, is this some kind of secret? I suspect it's something that they didn't want spreading :D

But still fact.

BT has nothing to do with it at all.

VM and the Beeb are as tight as any description you have :D

18. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    well, i really don`t know about bbc, but i do think it matters` whether you are cable or bt, somewhere i am sure the lines cross from one to the other as the internet is all one network,
    What i do know is that i felt my speed was disappointingly slow, until i took some time to set things up.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/177388255.png is my top speed, but all of the
    recorded tests i have are not far off, i do download a fair bit so i would suspect i get capped at times, however most of my downloading occurs through the night while i am sleeping, but it is always completed by the time i get up.
    If you are not happy with virgin why do you stay with them.
    not wishing to be rude, but do you feel like a victim of a conspiracy as you do seem to have a real problem with your isp

19. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I stay with them because they're the best of a very bad bunch, IMO.
    The problems are invariably in the first couple of hops, so it is VM's fault.
    I don't think there is any conspiracy, they just don't do what they say, most of the time, which winds me up.
    4th or 5th richest country in the world, but we're well down the list when it comes to speed. With the prices we pay, it's just typical rip-off Britain.

I love venting my spleen against VM :D