Quantcast

Broadband speed!

G

GreyTruth

Just got broadband! It's amazing to be able to download a large film trailor in minutes and watch in a large box! I have been getting download speeds of 50-65 kbs per sec, is this the fastest it can get? Cheers

G

GreyTruth

Checked the quicktime site out for trailers, I thought the quality was very good!!?

MAW

Banned
An interesting site for speed freak downloaders, here Check your download speed, we could have a contest, see whose is the fastest.... Alternatively we could all get a life! What flavour is your broadband, BT or Cable? I'm NTL, now have 1mbit, but I share with the neighbours, we have a little street network here. Dont come here with your wireless portable though, it's cabled.

G

Glasswalker

Text Block Size 5000 KB

Download Time 39971 ms
Receive Buffer Default
Transmission Speed 1001 Kb/s

MAW

Banned
Best I can do at the moment is 981kbit. My neighbour must be surfing for pictures of Brad Pitt again, and who can blame her, though personally I prefer his wife. You must be a 1mbit cable man?

G

Glasswalker

2mb leased line. Our firewall slows things down a bit and also the 80 or so other users. I wish it was all to myself but it's not.

MAW

Banned
I get the geneal picture. There's only 3 other households on our 1mbit, and only 1 is a 'regular' net user, to feed her fantasies, in a harmless way. We have 4 pc's, and my son is into something called neopets ,always on it. That absorbs a bit of my bandwidth (no pun intended!). I guess 80 users absorb quite a bit too, especially at lunchtime!

G

GreyTruth

I'm with good old fashioned Telewest 512k! Just me though!!

RL123

Novice Member
Text Block Size 500 KB

Download Time 7310 ms
Receive Buffer Default
Transmission Speed 547 Kb/s

I'm on Telewest 512k too :)

C

craigizmo2k2

Text Block Size 500 KB

Download Time 37130 ms
Receive Buffer Not available
Transmission Speed 108 Kb/s

:(

Not bad for 128k on ntlworld though i suppose

dave48

I can get a steady 100KB per second on my 768 kbps DSL line (on a good day). For 15 Euros a month more it is possible to double this - but can't think what I would do with the extra bandwidth.

Dave48

Dubbing Mixer

Standard Member
MAW,

I too have a Neopets addict. The bandwidth doesn't bother me so much as the ads which come in its wake.

RimBlock

512kb/s = 62 -> 65K/s average for me.

Upgraded to a 1Mbit line and get 120K/s (give or take a bit).

After a couple of months I am now going back to the 512Kb line as I am not using the bandwidth and paying £130/month for the privilage.

1Mbit was fun to start with and downloading all those MS service packs (XP & Win2K) was very fast but I just cant justify the cost for my usage of the bandwidth.

Oh and the ADSL is over a BT line (BT is not my ISP..... I am not that stupid.)

Cheers
Si