broadband speed for PS3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by mckahuna, May 3, 2007.

1. mckahuna

mckahuna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there an official reccomended broadband speed for PS3 online gaming? I currently have a 1 MB and playing PES6 is sometimes very lagged. what's your opinion??

2. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Your broadband speed can be high but your connection can still suffer from lag. For instance my broadband speed is rated at upto 8Mb, my modem/router connects at over 6MB but my real speed varies from 400K to over 2Mb. The lag I experience varies from under 100ms to 350ms, but not always at the same time as the download speed.

3. UKCanuck

UKCanuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I thought you didn't play online games anymore Stu? :devil:

4. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +954
    Lag is due to many factors some of which would be out of your control.. such as the other players connection types and speed, distance to servers, weather conditions etc. the best you can do is just make sure your connection is the best you can make it.

5. mckahuna

mckahuna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks. i understand lag depends on other variables, just wanted to know what minimum broadband speed is on average enough for PS3 online gaming. at the moment i'm happy with my 1MB deal for regular internet use (browsing etc) and i would not wanna pay extra ££ for the 8MB if a 2MB is enough for the PS3.

6. jshippey

jshippey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I agree, lag is the most important thing. I moved once and didn't have broadband for a while, but still managed to play Star Wars Galaxies with no problems on 56k dialup! Admittiedly the updates were a pain in the ***

If you're happy browsing at 2MB, then stay with that, the only thing that will increase with 8MB is your download speed...

7. Bojanglez

Bojanglez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I have never noticed any lag in PS3 games like RFOM and Motorstorm as they have dedicated servers, so providing ur connection is good you shouldn't have a problem.

On Pro Evo 6 I often have big problems, when playing on that the person who joins the game first hosts the first half, and the other person the second half. So sometimes you notice lag for one half of the game if their upload speed is rubbish.

8. Daytrader

Daytrader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    1mb to 10mb line no difference at all for ps3 gaming, upload is the important factor and 1mb is fine, ping from my 1mb to 10mb line not changed at all either, in fact few friends on 20mb also no ping change, like others say if u have lag your get that on 1 or 10mb lines.

9. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Dont forget contention ratio! You could have 50Mb broadband but if your conection ratio is 100:1 then you're gonna get sucky speeds/lag regardless of what you're paying for, ever notice how broadband companies now say "up to..." when they advertise their service? That way you can't really take them to court.