Broadband recommendations for COD Player

martimu

Hi All,

THinking of changing from BT to Sky connect as getting the TV package. However I'm reading some negatives about Sky getting major slow down in the evenings.

BT has been fine, if expensive at 20.99 a month.
Were are at the end of exhange so get around 3.5 meg.
I only really play COD online and usually get in around 70 on the ping when it's finding a game.

I don't suffer too badly from lag but certainly don't want to make it worse.

Anybody an experince of who offers a decent package for gaming or is Sky ok for those of you using it?

Many thanks,

Martin

mark74uk

Distinguished Member
Hi mate i have recently moved over to Be and the difference has been incredible. I used to get kicked a hell of a lot, and always seemed to loose 1v1's.

Since moving to Be i never get kicked, win far more 1v1's and very often get picked as host. The difference has been noticable to say the least!

Craig8718

Hi All,

THinking of changing from BT to Sky connect as getting the TV package. However I'm reading some negatives about Sky getting major slow down in the evenings.

BT has been fine, if expensive at 20.99 a month.
Were are at the end of exhange so get around 3.5 meg.
I only really play COD online and usually get in around 70 on the ping when it's finding a game.

I don't suffer too badly from lag but certainly don't want to make it worse.

Anybody an experince of who offers a decent package for gaming or is Sky ok for those of you using it?

Many thanks,

Martin
I'm on Sky Connect and my connection is absolutely abysmal after 5pm every day. The only time I get anything close to a decent connection is on a morning.

Have you done a search to see what BB options you have? I'm assuming if the only package Sky can offer you is there 'Connect' package, then you're probably in a terrible area like me and have very few options?

kchain

Novice Member
I'm with Mark on recommending O2/Be Unlimited.

Since I've switched to their O2 Pro Broadband package (£17.50 if you have an O2 phone) I've been having a lot more joy especially when I'm picked as host :smashin:.

The best thing to do is to use this Exchange Search and find out if anybody is offering LLU services at your local exchange - you may well get more than the 3.5 meg you get at the moment. I went from about 2-3meg on Tiscali to 7.5meg on O2 and we're a good mile or so from the exchange.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
I'm with Sky, live miles from the exchange and get a virtually identical connection regardless of time of day. My ping never moves from 41-43ms and connection speeds barely waver.

Dave H

I'm with talk talk and have good and bad days.

martimu

Cheers guys on mob so will reply properly tomorrow!

VillanUK

Novice Member
Im with Sky, and cant say ive ever seen a problem with speeds on the evening tbh, but what you can do as i did, is talk to the tech boys at sky, tell them your net is for gaming, and they tweak the settings for gaming..i did see a difference when they did that.

Just beware when companies talk about download speeds. The speed you can download is ltd to your phone line, so even if you have a 20 mega download speed ( from ISP ) you will only achive a stable line to which its able to tolerate.

martimu

Thanks all for the responses. Very helpful I Didn't know about the LLU thing and it turns out O2/BE are the only ones that run this on our exchange so will check them out!

Those on sky having the good experiences are you on the connect service or Sky's own ones? It only seems to be the connect that people moan about, the others seem to get positive reviews.

Really appreciate the help from you all!!!

Cheers

Martin

Craig8718

I'm with Sky
I'm with Sky
What Sky packages are you two on though? I've been on both the standard Sky packages (Mid, Max etc) and there stoneage 'Connect' package and I can guarantee there is a big difference.

When I was on the standard packages there wasn't much of a drop on an evening but with the Connect package the throttling is abysmal. They will also slow you down if you were a heavy user in the past 24 hours or so. For instance I downloaded 1.5gb of content from PSN last night so I know my connection tonight will be at a stand still!

Last edited:

martimu

What Sky packages are you two on though? I've been on both the standard Sky packages (Mid, Max etc) and there stoneage 'Connect' package and I can guarantee there is a big difference.

When I was on the standard packages there wasn't much of a drop on an evening but with the Connect package the throttling is abysmal. They will also slow you down if you were a heavy user in te past 24 hours or so. For instance I downloaded 1.5th of content from PSN last night so I know my connection tonight will be at a stand still!
That's exactly what I seem to be reading. If you are in a Sky area when they can offer you all of their services the feedback is very good, but the Connect connection for anyone else gets very negative feedback

martimu

are BE and O2 the same as the prices are different?

Thanks

gav1810

Be own o2 but the o2 is cheaper, im on o2 never had a problem also great custermer services as there uk based, also if you have got an o2 phone u get £5 a month knocked of your sub, dont forget about cashback offers quidco is around £50 i think

kchain

Novice Member
Thanks all for the responses. Very helpful I Didn't know about the LLU thing and it turns out O2/BE are the only ones that run this on our exchange so will check them out!
You might want to try out the availability checker https://www.o2broadband.o2.co.uk/broadBandOverview.do on the O2 website - this should give you a fairly good estimate of what speed you can get.

Also the Pro package gives you double the upload speed which may help to get you hosting games.

I should be on commission from O2 I think :rolleyes:

are BE and O2 the same as the prices are different?

Thanks
As stated their prices are different, but it will be the same line so it should be an identical service - see this for a review of both O2 Broadband or Be Broadband - Which is better?

Last edited:

lee667

i'd recommend virgin if you can get cable. I always get the advertised speed and lately been getting picked as host on a regular basis.

martimu

i'd recommend virgin if you can get cable. I always get the advertised speed and lately been getting picked as host on a regular basis.
Can't get it annoyingly where we are.

O2 standard is £8 a month less than currently paying and should be no worse and probably better than I have. And with the 30 day options to leave if unhappy I feel it's got to be worth a go!

Many thanks for all the input.

Mind if my broadbands sorted who do i blame when I get my butt kicked at COD!

Martin

jwalsh82

Cannot say a bad word about O2. I am on a 16mb line but was only getting 3mb. They tweaked some stuff and I am getting 15 out of the line, thye called me once a week for the last month to check all is going well too.

This only happened about a month ago but the difference has been amazing, been winning 1 on 1's and been getting host.

I believe they use the same lines as Be...

StuR6

Novice Member
I'm 2.6 mile from the exchange and Sky kicks me off every peak time. Finally gets going after 8 or 9pm these days; been getting worse over the last 2 years.

Im swapping to O2, on the basis my neighbour had the same problem with sky, and then was not without BB ever since joining o2.

Fmrl

Novice Member
Currently with Orange and its awful - definitely not recommended for COD. :mad:

martimu

Had issues with Tiscali in past too, and will be going nowhere near them again.

Hadn't heard of Uno so O2 turn out to be not what hoped for i'll check them out cheers

O2 due to go live Monday as is Sky HD so won't know what to do with myself!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published