1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband problems

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by GCDB, Aug 12, 2005.

1. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    After 6-8 weeks,finally a bt sevice engineer was sent out by my isp to sort out my broadband installation...dont ask why.
    Eventually he got it working from an exchange problem.I had to plug in the pc in the master socket downstairs which was very inconveniant.I tried it working upstairs last night and same error message as i initially had,no dial tone from speedtouch modem.Does there need to be special cable from the master socket downstairs to the one upstairs.I currently have the phone line plugged in from the adjacent bedroom upstairs and an extension cable to the pc and a normal phone works off this but the broadband does not seem to work. Dont really want to go into wireless yet as i havnt a clue what to do or buy and a permanent pc downstairs is not an option.
    Any help gratefully recieved,
    Gav going back to dial up................

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Apologies for the stupid questions but...

Do you have an ADSL Microfilter plugged into ALL your extensions, with devices, ie the one with the PC and the phone?

If so which brand of Microfilter?

And one not related to your problem question - do you have a firewall enabled, either windows because you are running Windows XP SP 2 or you have bought a package?

Cheers

Rajiv

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    It sounds like you may be right on the limit for ADSL, ie the distance between your house, and the nearest telephone exchange.
    If the engineer had to tweak things at the exchange just to get the master socket working, it's unlikely that a secondary (extension) will ever work for broadband.. It's due to signal loss (attenuation) on your line in from the exchange..

Did either the Engineer or your ISP mention anything about attenuation/range etc?

Are you limited to an ADSL package slower than what is normally available through your ISP?

If it's a 'yes' to either of those questions, you're probably stuck I'm afraid.
    This happens a lot in my area, lots of outlying villages on the edge of my town are right on the limit for ADSL.. master sockets in peoples homes are the only ones that work.

As you've already mentioned, a wireless router at the master socket is probably the best option available to you, if the scenario above rings true..?

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to help on the wireless router, you will have to buy.....

1. A Wireless router - Come in different flavours but the one to get is a 'G' router as this is fastest at a reasonable price (54Mbps) which would easily cope with any Broadband connection. Even if it's a poor signal, you'll still get about 15-20Mbps and I'm guessing your Broadband is up to 2Mbps ? Get a decent one and they almost set up themselves with Popup protection and a better firewall than the Windows version.

2. A Wireless card - Depending on your computer, there are 3 versions. Again, get a 'G' card.
    - PCI for Tower/Desktop
    - PCMCIA/Card Bus for a laptop
    - USB for either Desktop or laptop
    Just install the driver and it will pick up any wireless LANS that are about.

I've just bought an Ebuyer router which is really cheap and does the job, but they are a little tricky to set up. I would say get a Netgear or Dlink router and wireless card.

HTH,

Richie.

5. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for replies.
    There is a microfilter plugged in at each telephone point.Only currently using one in master socket downstairs and one for upstairs where pc is plugged in.Dont know make as came with free broadband modem speedtouch 330?
    My house only uses one phone connection(digital)with second remote handset and no sky in house etc so only using one for phone and second upstairs for computer.I have no extra firewalls apart from sp2 and running avg free edition but have tried turning all these off to see if was stopping my connection.
    I could pay for a faster service from T.T. but happy with package incl free phone calls i have already got.
    As i meantioned the only thing i might try tonight is to move my computer from the spare bedroom to our bedroom(where the phone socket is) to try to cut out the telephone extension cable.Would this make a difference if i changed the extension cable to the smaller plug type?(the same as the broadband modem cable)as the telephone extension cable i am using is the normal telephone plug in type.

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    I'd be very suprised if the extension lead made any difference, but it's worth trying..

I'd ask your ISP to run a line check to see if you can actually have the faster service.... It only takes minutes and you'll know straight away where the problem lies..
    If it is an exchange/distance problem, and you don't want to go wireless, replacing the phone sockets and cabling to the upstairs points is another option, but obviously a bit of a pain....

You'll need a telephone engineer to explain the ins&outs of this, I know almost nothing on the subject of telecomms hardware...

7. john249

john249

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just on the boarder line for ADSL. I get problems on a daily basis. My connection gets cut every 10-20 minutes and sometimes every 5 minutes.

Due to this problem I belive that BT should know about these problems by now and is still charging alot of their customers that are far away from the Exchange the same prices as people who are getting a good service. This is all wrong.

I have to pay alot more money now as I am with BT boardband and I still have to keep paying for dial up as I can only use dial up to download biggish files as when I use BT Boardband it cuts out everytime before the file is downloaded.

The next solution I will attempt is to phone BT and tell them that they are charging me for a service that I am not getting.

I will see what they will do about it and if nothing happens then, I will purchase my own router as I have heard that the BT Voyager routers are to sensitive, which means they are more likely to cut out than other routers that you can buy on the Web.

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Hi John,

The BT voyager routers are indeed a nightmare in a box, in your circumstances.
    The Netgear 834 series WAP/routers have got quite a few friends of mine out of bother in this same situation, hence my persistent plugging of them.. :)

Certainly in more than a few cases, the 834G works almost perfectly, where the BT voyager, and similar models from 3Com (not sure which model) and the Linksys WAG54G (early version) would not work at all...

BT especially should really have warned you about this, it's standard practice to run a line attenuation test before setting somebody up with broadband.
    If they haven't done this, or have been too optimistic with the results, you have certainly been badly let down...:(

9. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I moved my pc to the socket in other bedroom to cut out extension lead but still no dial tone.Moved it back, and then unplugged the filter downstairs in master socket and the connection then worked?
    I suppose if i plug anything into my master socket downstairs i cant get the broadband upstairs but i can live with this for now.
    If i go wireless from the master socket,although a weak signal already,will the wireless setup have the same strength in all of the house,ie so i can use two computers at once on broadband because at the moment this is a no-go with the poor signal i am recieving with hard wired.

10. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    that's an odd one... not really sure what's going on there.. as i say, I'm no kind of 'phone engineer... ;)

If you do go wireless, the ADSL and wireless side of things are handled quite seperately, so you'll have no problems running two wireless PCs from the one ADSL connection.

If it's a 'normal' house you live in, you shouldn't have any real problems getting a signal in any part of the house.

With the ADSL problems you're having, I'd go for the Netgear I've recommended, which can also have a cheap (£10) upgrade antenna fitted if you actually do have a WiFi dead-zone in a room..

You should also get a much better ( stronger AND faster) connection than through your speedtouch, I'd definitely go this route if I was in your shoes.. :smashin:

11. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you got any links to what i would need to buy and what would it cost me to set up?I gather i would not need the speedtouch adsl modem anymore?
    I only have one desktop but plan on getting a laptop very soon.
    Thanks
    gav

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    I'm not sure if it's the very best price you'll find... but this has everything you need for now, and you're right, the speedtouch can go safely in a drawer somewhere where it can't hurt anybody..;)

You'll be much more secure from internet attacks too... the Netgear has one of the best firewalls out there on home kit.

13. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    just got to check,what is a pci 2.2 compliant slot.My pc is a duron 750 but does have spare pci slots,how do i know if it is 2.2 compliant?

14. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    no worries there... any motherboard which can take a duron processor will be suitable... It's only the really old stuff that wouldn't be compliant.. :)

15. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have had problems with cheap microfilters combined with bad phones or poor extensions causing broadband to fail. In the end I have stopped using cheap ones and stick to these

http://www.dslsource.co.uk/product_details.asp?idProduct=112

But its very hard to tell what the source of the problem is. If your broadband modem displays the attenuation, then you might want to look at it as you plug things in and out to see what happens.

Cheers

Rajiv

16. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Those type of microfilters came with my speedtouch starter pack.But thanks for suggestions.
    Before i allocate £90ish of my hard earned cash and take the leap into wireless, just a few more questions as i am really a newbie to this.
    With the netgear you recommended(with pci card), do these interfere with baby monitors or digital phones etc as i have both of these.(dont want littleun recieving broadband just yet :rotfl: !).
    Looked it up on net, and with the router,i would be able to plug it in downstairs and not have to have a pc plugged into it at that point at all would i?
    Also do the routers/modems come any cheaper in your experiance as i only need it for sharing the broadband and possibly in future sharing files between laptop and desktop but speed not needed.I gather the netgear you recommended was to help quality of connection?
    Many thanks for helping me on this,
    gav.

17. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    Hi Gav,

yep, the router would be able to sit there at the downstairs phone-point, all it needs is power and the phone socket, so no PC needed nearby..

The Netgear almost certainly will help with (I should really say make the best use of ;)) the weak ADSL connection you have.. but that comes really comes as a free advantage of the kit mentioned, you're not actually paying for the improved ADSL modem as such..

You might be able to find cheaper, but only by £20 I'd say, and personally I'd hesitate to recommend anything else in your circumstances... the netgear routers are also incredibly easy to setup..the best in that respect as well as in my opinion..

With regards to Phones/baby monitors/doorbells etc, interference can be an issue, but the routers have 13 easily selectable radio channels, so you'll easily find one not in use. Both the phone and the baby monitor should have the channel number they use either listed in their manual, or it may even be selectable on the device itself.. this us usually the case with wireless phones... :)