Broadband Powerline adaptors affecting your AV equipment

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
Reaction score
I've been using broadband powerline adaptors in my home to pump the signal around my home using three electrics system in my home. I have noticed a few issues with my hw n850 soundbar and a number of other bars before this in the form of a blip noise intermittently coming from the setup. It's every now and again and really annoying. Video doesn't distort only audio and I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with their soundbar or av equipment which may be used by electrical interference or by powerline adaptors.

Thanks in advance everyone..

Last edited:
How have you determined this noise is 100% caused by the Powerline units?

However, just run Cat5E cable(s) and use switches to replace the Powerlines?

How have you determined this noise is 100% caused by the Powerline units?

However, just run Cat5E cable(s) and use switches to replace the Powerlines?
I haven't mate which is why I'm asking... I've amended my question and comments slightly just to clarify this...
What switches are you thinking to use? I was using the av600 ethernet adaptors with two of them pumping out wifi and the others just hard wired. I've read that these can turn your house into a transmitter and it can affect your devices...

Attachments

• BDE3CA85-366F-4537-8FF8-645F343842C7.png
    BDE3CA85-366F-4537-8FF8-645F343842C7.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 242
All powerline adapters are transmitters of sorts, but its poor equipment that cant cope with the wide variety of RF around us - phones mobile & DECT, wifi, bluetooth, zigbee, what's in the atmosphere from outside, etc etc,

I've been more worried about things like phone chargers affecting my powerline adapters, so although I plug poweline into the wall sockets, I run gadgets/TV/hifi etc on suppressor strips hoping they provide a filtering effect.

All powerline adapters are transmitters of sorts, but its poor equipment that cant cope with the wide variety of RF around us - phones mobile & DECT, wifi, bluetooth, zigbee, what's in the atmosphere from outside, etc etc,

I've been more worried about things like phone chargers affecting my powerline adapters, so although I plug poweline into the wall sockets, I run gadgets/TV/hifi etc on suppressor strips hoping they provide a filtering effect.
I have my TV and soundbar on a 6 plug tacima mains conditioner which is connected to a belkin surge protector on the socket.
I think that the broadband signal flying everywhere along electrical sockets could be a cause of the blipping on the bar... But thought I'd ask you guys if you have experience of this to share experiences etc etc

The mains conditioner should remove the Powerline signal quite effectively if it's doing its job correctly.

The noise tends to be a fairly continuous signal, so occasional blips are more likely to be 4G or 5G.

Simple test, if you turn the Powerline units off, does the sound bar still misbehave?

The mains conditioner should remove the Powerline signal quite effectively if it's doing its job correctly.

The noise tends to be a fairly continuous signal, so occasional blips are more likely to be 4G or 5G.

Simple test, if you turn the Powerline units off, does the sound bar still misbehave?
Yeah I've done that but I'm at work at the moment 😂 have been here for hours...
Other thing...cheaper unshielded ethernet cables? Could they be causing issues?? Ill try anything now 👌👍

The first thing I would do is change the HDMI cable, as poorly shielded ones can introduce noise into the system even if they are passing the signal correctly.

I run gadgets/TV/hifi etc on suppressor strips hoping they provide a filtering effect

As in surge protection ones, if so they will do diddly squat in terms of filtering. Half the time you would be lucky if they did the intended job properly.

The first thing I would do is change the HDMI cable, as poorly shielded ones can introduce noise into the system even if they are passing the signal correctly.
First thing I did..I had syncwire ones...then tried monoprice Certified Premium...now have audioquest pearls which cost a fortune...still the same..even had the richer sounds manager round... Still the same issues persist..

As in surge protection ones, if so they will do diddly squat in terms of filtering. Half the time you would be lucky if they did the intended job properly.
I totally agree..That's why I went for the tacima mains conditioner... And also another surge protector just to see if it did anything...
Didn't do anything re the popping

I said hoping. When I first got powerline adapters most advice was (and maybe still is) to plug the powerline into the wall socket and not a strip - in case the the strip attenuates the powerline signal. If it attenuates then its having an in-band filtering effect. I suspected "modern" switched mode phone chargers as being good sources of EMI and back then had powerline adapters with quality LEDs - when some gadgets were on the quality indication dropped. So if the strip had a filtering effect then I thought it might reduce interference from EMI sources like chargers on the powerline signal.

I said hoping. When I first got powerline adapters most advice was (and maybe still is) to plug the powerline into the wall socket and not a strip - in case the the strip attenuates the powerline signal. If it attenuates then its having an in-band filtering effect. I suspected "modern" switched mode phone chargers as being good sources of EMI and back then had powerline adapters with quality LEDs - when some gadgets were on the quality indication dropped. So if the strip had a filtering effect then I thought it might reduce interference from EMI sources like chargers on the powerline signal.
Yeah totally get you... Mine are all plugged directly into wall sockets...
Will see how it works tomorrow with the adaptors out..gutted I've been at work all night

Could this be interfering?
E6F7A015-974A-4AAE-BEBB-304135B9C9C4.png

So most things have been changed apart from home plugs. Let us know how you get on with them removed.

Is it sky q that you have, you don’t specifically mention. What sources does it occur on?

Also take the audio quest ones back they are not any better than the previous one. In the case of hdmi this myth has been debunked scientifically. Spend the money on something else :)

Did it do it before you got the mains conditioner? Have you tried taking that out temporarily?

So most things have been changed apart from home plugs. Let us know how you get on with them removed.

Is it sky q that you have, you don’t specifically mention. What sources does it occur on?

Also take the audio quest ones back they are not any better than the previous one. In the case of hdmi this myth has been debunked scientifically. Spend the money on something else :)
It's only been happening since I put those adaptors in but that was about the time the sound bar wasn't working very well... I had issues with arc and other stuff... It could still be the TV I have which is the b7v lg oled which strangely suffered with this issue when first released.
The pearl cables made a significant different with my setup as I was getting white fuzzy static type images with the other cables.. Never happened once with these... Had the problems for months until I got them...
That's why I'm thinking that there's some kind of interference coming from somewhere.. I'm heading home to test soon.. Cheers for your help

Did it do it before you got the mains conditioner? Have you tried taking that out temporarily?
Ive got sky q 2tb... Seems strange that both that and the powerline adaptors both factually generate something which goes out to the immediate vicinity... Mix that in with a router and a few other devices it's a lot of stuff to have in one place. I've moved plugs and sockets etc to see if that made a difference but it didn't...
As per the sky thing it could be a case of plugging sky in elsewhere... I think the tacima is great... Sounds strange but audio sounded better after installing

Ive got sky q 2tb... Seems strange that both that and the powerline adaptors both factually generate something which goes out to the immediate vicinity... Mix that in with a router and a few other devices it's a lot of stuff to have in one place. I've moved plugs and sockets etc to see if that made a difference but it didn't...
As per the sky thing it could be a case of plugging sky in elsewhere... I think the tacima is great... Sounds strange but audio sounded better after installing

Yep some people have reported good things, others less. It’s more to eliminate it from being a potential cause. If no issue then plug it back in.

The only way to track down any source of interference is to power it off completely.

Hdmi cables-> other items can sometimes still interfere as connected items with power still 'poll' or send signals. So removal of hdmi plugs from both ends is required.

Regular interference that happens most of the time is easier to eliminate items as being the source, but very irregular intermittent is harder.

A 'blip' noise may be something like a mobile phone -> cell tower handshake? A recording of the noise might allow someone to identify the noise you hear more accurately, and thereby a possible source?

Note some interference can get in via mains leads and is not always radio wave related. A ferrite core around the mains lead might help?

Always worth moving things around, too. My first Philips CD player sat on top of my Leak Receiver would cause interference to be heard, sat alongside was no problem. (The tuner-amp was basically a wooden box with a bit of foil for screening.)

Yep some people have reported good things, others less. It’s more to eliminate it from being a potential cause. If no issue then plug it back in.
Do you think it could cause the noise? I'm just about to sit down and have a play..

The only way to track down any source of interference is to power it off completely.

Hdmi cables-> other items can sometimes still interfere as connected items with power still 'poll' or send signals. So removal of hdmi plugs from both ends is required.

Regular interference that happens most of the time is easier to eliminate items as being the source, but very irregular intermittent is harder.

A 'blip' noise may be something like a mobile phone -> cell tower handshake? A recording of the noise might allow someone to identify the noise you hear more accurately, and thereby a possible source?

Note some interference can get in via mains leads and is not always radio wave related. A ferrite core around the mains lead might help?

Always worth moving things around, too. My first Philips CD player sat on top of my Leak Receiver would cause interference to be heard, sat alongside was no problem. (The tuner-amp was basically a wooden box with a bit of foil for screening.)
Yeah thanks for for the message...I've used a ferrite core on the bar and it still did it... Could be worth having one on the TV too?? The possible contributing things for me are :
Powerline adaptor interference
Sky q transmitting
Unshielded ethernet cables in close proximity to other cabling
Defective mainboard on the TV

Cheers for all of your help...two hours of testing to go.
Ps I've recorded the blip noise but can't upload here...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom