Broadband Options

Tommo2002

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

At the moment, I have got broadband through Sky but they could only provide their "Connect" service at the time of taking it out (11 months ago) and was told "yes our full service will be available by January" and you guessed it, still nothing :)

Have been on a few sites to tell me which services are available in my area and my options are:

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Virgin Media (Cable)

So.....looking at the above, I think BT or TalkTalk are my options really, not with Virgin for TV or anything. What does everyone think? Need wireless and need it as cheap as possible. Current line rental is with BT and TV is with Sky.

Cheers for looking and for any help :thumbsup:

Tom

would definitely go with virgin if you can. great speeds. i am on 20mb which is apparently getting boosted to 50mb soon. With all of their faults, the broadband is not one of them. :smashin:

would definitely go with virgin if you can. great speeds. i am on 20mb which is apparently getting boosted to 50mb soon. With all of their faults, the broadband is not one of them. :smashin:

And can you get standalone Broadband from them without the TV?

i think you need a phone line but you might be able to. call and ask them. mate has sky hd but has virgin BB only. not sure if he ahs phone with them though.

I believe BT wholesale and BT are two different companies. Regardless BT wholesale looks after the infrastructure and the first two just mean you can receive standard ADSL from any ISP that is providing it. ADSL means you can get 512kbps/1mbps/2mbps fixed rate connections, ADSL Max is the rate adaptive 8mbps connection.

I think you can get virgin broadband without the TV but it's expensive and you still have to have the cable connected to your house.

If you're just looking for cheap and it doesn't have to be top performance or unlimited then TalkTalk may be worth looking at as they'll be very cheap, it's about ÂŁ16 for phone, line rental and broadband.

When you say wireless I assume you mean a wireless network rather than wireless internet? None of those provide wireless internet but they should all work with a wireless router to give you a wireless network at your house.

While talktalk are very cheap the speed my parents are getting is quite frankly, disgusting.

They modem/router in syncing at 512k - so with overheads their speed is barely broadband. Now this maybe a one-off - and I must complain on their behalf, but getting anything out of talktalk is like pulling teeth.

The same line/modem previously sync'd at the full 8000kps via BT using PLusnet as an ISP.

Oh, and have you tried the O2 website to see if O2/Be are coming to your exchange soon ?

They've just installed in ours and I started with them Tuesday. I'm getting 3 times the real-time speed I was before although I'm at a max of 6mb. They said I might get up to 16mb but knowing my line I thought that unlikely. They have e-mailed me to say 'sorry' and they'll try and help geta better speed if possible. If not they will reduce my package to the 'up to 8mb'

I'm very impressed so far. They do have a Fair use policy - but with no stated limit on bandwidth. They are supposed to be very generous though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom