Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Broadband in the UK compared to rest of the world ?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by FoxyMulder, Aug 24, 2004.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    26 mb/s broadband speeds in Japan for $30 dollars ( £17 odd ) sorta makes our prices and speeds look slow and outdated by comparison but they have a better infrastructure and fibre network than we will ever have.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_09/b3872049.htm

I think we pay over the odds for far too little in the UK, not just on broadband but on everyday household items and our petrol.

2. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,950
    Sweden too - i was playing with a guy that had 8Mb/s for £11/month, and a friend of his (apparently) had 20-odd Mb/s. Fiber straight to the home... yummy!

3. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was talking to a dutch player on live he told me that the main reason for the difference in price in due to government sponsership as for the better connection speeds im baffeled on this one

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    The speeds are dictated by your service provider (essentially they are capped).

If they wanted you could have 20 Gigabit connection, but obviously if everyone in the UK had that kind of throughput their servers would grind to a halt :)

Basically, your wire from your house (copper or fibre) goes to a router of your Telecoms company (BT, Telewest, NTL). These routers can only cope with so much throughput, so they have to limit the speeds of each individual customer. In the case of ADSL (BT broadband) this then goes onto a further bottleneck of your ISP. So your BT router may be able to cope with 10Mbit a sec max, whereas your ISP servers can only cope with 5Mbit a sec. So the ISP may limit connections. This is also why cheap providers are usually so pap, they cannot cope with the traffic they let people sigh up for, so their speeds are much slower.

Of course the largest bottleneck at the moment are the Telecomms companies, fibre connections are technically better than the old copper wires. Hence, why cable tends to be cheaper and faster than ADSL. DSL from BT is generally limited because BT are basically crap and they are trying to soak up as much money as possible.

There is no competition to increase their services and the Government doesn't force them to improve infrastructure.

We could have exactly the same speeds and costs if there was real competition in the market and the Taxpayer put some money towards it. Personally I find it rather scary that the countries communication infrastructure is not publically owned.

5. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    to be fair though it was the government that stopped bt upgrading their infrastructure back in the 80s which has led to the ridiculously slow and farcical broadband that is available at the moment... particularly with regards to upload speeds

6. davenich

davenich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hah, count yourselves lucky! In Ireland, residential BB is limited to 512/128 ADSL (except in a few certain areas) with an 8G per month download cap.

And what do I pay for this? €54.45 per month; that's over £35!

*grumble grumble*

7. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol yep in sweeden you can have a 100mb pipe for less that 100 pound a month I think and a 50 for less than 40 pounds! Its a flaming rip off ! Mind you if your in london you can get a 4 meg for 30 quid!

8. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    In the south island of New Zealand 256k (capped!) adsl is all the rage :)

My 1.5 meg cable modem here in the uk compares pretty good against that. It's probably capped on quality of life...the better a place is too live the slower the connection ;)

CaM

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Hey! I live in Japan and Im subscribing to a Yahoo BB 12mbps line but the actual speed is only about 4mbps!

As for those 26mbps lines, well its all a farce.
    The fastes speed anyone can get out of ADSL is only 8mbps. Regardles of what anyone says.
    If you want faster speeds you MUST subscribe to:
    USEN, B Flets (NTT) which offer 100mbps fiber optic lines. (in japan)

I have already subscribed to Usen and am waiting for my line to be installed.

Again, even though they offer 100mbps in adverts, the actual speed is more like 50mbps.

This IS much faster than ADSL and its the only alternative.

The one good thing about so many people using ADSL and such is that playing online games in Asia makes for very good flawless gaming and low pings.