1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband Help!!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by porker, Jul 29, 2003.

1. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Could someone please help a broadband newbie?

I would like to provide broadband to my two PC's (both with built in LAN capability, if it's any help) and x-box.
    Since we don't have cable in the area it will have to be using the recently upgraded BT exchange and one of the many ISP's. Straightforward I thought, until I started reading some online gaming posts - Now I am totally confused!!

I am just not at all sure what I need to buy and have a few questions.
    What is wrong with the free ADSL modems you get with some packages?
    What is the hell is a router?
    Can I use the LAN ports and a crossover ethernet cable to connect the PC's? If so, how do I tie in the x-box?
    I would prefer to keep the x-box connection wireless if possible (but not essential - depends on cost).

Any help appreciated,

Porker.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look here for previous posts...similar, just replace the DG814 with the wireless DSL router/gateway..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86043&highlight=dg814

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78889&highlight=dg814

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77528&highlight=dg814

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71912&highlight=dg814

Plug the PC's into the router, and away you go... internet & files on your LAN are accessable to each computer on your LAN... builtin NAT/VPN so fairly good level of WAN protection... no drivers needed, and no host PC needed.

3. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for the info, I think I understand what I need now.
    If I want to keep the cost down I can just get a router and run an ethernet cable back to it from both PC's and the xbox, if I cant be bothered hiding the cable from the xbox then I will need to buy a wireless router and one of those wireless bridge thingies to plug into the xbox. :suicide:
    Great, the next step is finding the best deal on an ISP. Bulldog are offering a 2Mbps service at just under £30/month at the moment but the contention ratio is 50:1, does this mean up to 50 people could be using that 2Mb at once? Sorry if this question sounds dumb:blush:

4. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    yes, a contention ratio of 50:1 means potentially 49 other customers are sharing that bandwidth from the exchange to the internet.

In practice its not too much of an issue - usually you won't notice any degredation in performance as most users don't use their potential maximum bandwidth 24/7,

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well there are loads of posts on this. Its worth doing a search before posting as these points have been raised so many times before.

As I have said before its just not neccessary to spent a fortune on kit to get 2 P.C and an xbox hooked up to broadband.

I have my laptop & Xbox downstairs + my Pc upstairs connected to NTL digital via a £30 Broadband Router from www.microdirect.co.uk. Works great.

6. rhardaker

rhardaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've just been mailed that braodband will be available on my BT exchange from November (no cable in our area)....yipee.
    If I just take the standard modem pack from BT (£40 I think) what connectors does it have on? is it just a single USB port or is there an RJ45 as well? I could then connect my PC and Xbox at the same time (although I believe you cannot use them at the same time and you may have to reboot the modem?). Is there another solution - at present I only have one PC and an Xbox - I might consider wireless in the future but any recommendations on just getting the PC and Xbox up and running.

Thanks,

.Richard

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just buy a all in one unit with modem and 4 way hub. Something like the Netgear DG814. You can plug upto 4 devices (or more if you add a standard hub)

No faffing around with drivers, firewall software, having to leave your host PC on (with the USB you will)

The USB versions do not have ethernet port. You will need to plug your other devices (say Xbox, other PC's) into the host PC via a network hub.

8. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    The standard BT modem they supply will be a usb modem - and you would have to get a converter or chop the usb plug and re wire a new one to make it work on an xbox - as PC usb and Xbox usb plugs are wired differently.

9. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  10. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    My mates freebie USB modem also has an ethernet port ( he uses it for xbox live), but your correct in saying you can't have both connected at the same time and you do have to power down the modem when changing between e/net and USB. Other than that it would be fine to get you started, although a router would be a better bet in the long run.