Broadband help please!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by steviebwoy, Jan 25, 2008.

1. steviebwoy

steviebwoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Cornishman living in Cheltenham, following the mig
    Ratings:
    +267
    Hi guys

Just thought I'd post a quick referral request on here for a decent broadband/TV package.

Basically, I'm moving into a new apartment - I'm not sure whether the area supports cable at the moment (I don't believe so) - but I'd be after a decent broadband package along with a reasonable selection of TV channels. I'd ideally like a line up to 2-4meg with unlimited downloads.

However, my new tenancy agreement is for 6 months, so I couldn't commit to a 12 month contract. I've looked at Virgin Media, as they seem to be the obvious choice, but they seem to insist on at least 12 month's contract. I do already have a BT landline in my current house, so presumably I can carry this contract across; to avoid the 12 month sting?

I'm not sure whether I'd be better off getting the two services independently, with broadband through the phone line; I think Freeview's pretty terrible in the area so I've ruled that out as an option.

Any help would be much appreciated. As I say, I'm after a <6 month contract with unlimited downloads, a fairly fast connection, and a reasonable choice of TV channels.

Don't ask for much, do I!? :suicide:

2. lovelldr

lovelldr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    1st: Don't think this is the right forum, as it's not xbox related. So guess will be moved soon...

2nd: I think one of the entanet providers might be a good go'er for the internet side of things. These usually have just a 1 month contract, but if you don't currently have internet at the new premises to migrate to, then you will probably have to pay the connection fee (around £40 iirc).

3rd: If you wanted, you could always go for a motorised satellite system, and get all of the free to air channels available. There's usually a lot around, and offer a wider variety than freeview (including freeview). This will be a 1 off payment fee for the kit involved, which will come to around:

£100 receiver
    £50 motor
    £20-£40 dish
    £10-20 lnb
    £10-20 coax cable + f-connectors
    £30 t-brackets & pole

So you should get a system set up for lots of different satellites for less than £200 all in if you wanted to do that. But if you do, then obviously you get more channels (which also includes more rubbish also :p). Also, you can always buy subscriptions to providers, such as digitalb etc, if you wanted to get football etc :)

This would assume you'd be allowed by the landlord to set it all up?!

3. steviebwoy

steviebwoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Cheers, it is kinda related to this forum as I'll be using a 360 with it! ;) So there! hehe

I think I might have to go with Freeview, plus a month-to-month broadband package, but it would have to be through the phone-line as I can't make any alterations to the building itself.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good monthly non-cable broadband service? :smashin:

4. steviebwoy

steviebwoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Hm, I'm now considering ditching the TV package, and just opting for Broadband and/or a landline.

I've found a deal through TalkTalk here for about £5pm, plus BT line rental. Any feedback on TalkTalk out there?

Virgin do a package here (Bundle 2) which is £15, but you have to have a BT landline as well (another £10.50 on top).

Or is there a better option I've overlooked?

My head hurts! :(

5. lovelldr

lovelldr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I've known a few people who've been on talk talk, who've said they're absolute rubbish, and once you're in, you're in... Dunno whether it's true, but that's what I heard.

How much do you usually download a month? I'm currently with falconnet (an entanet reseller), and for £20 p/m (1 month contract), you get 30gb peak, 300gb off peak usage. I usually use about 20gb peak, and 100gb off peak (been with em for 2 months now, and that's the most I've done, well just under :p). Which isn't as cheap as what you mentioned, but then again, you get what you pay for. At least you know how much you're allowed to download before they start moaning etc.

If you wanna get more info on the providers, follow the thinkbroadband forum, they'll give you more info.

Another good company (from what I heard) is BeThere, if it's available in your area?

6. steviebwoy

steviebwoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Nice one, that's great, thanks very much :)

I'm currently very tempted to just go with Virgin but I think I might do a bit more reading on some of your suggestions - if it's only a fiver more/ month it might be worth my while to shop around.

Again, thanks for your help :smashin: