1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband for MAC and Xbox live

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by hencole, Feb 3, 2003.

1. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will shortly be getting broadband for Xbox live, but before that happens I will be getting a MAC. Now what is going to be the best and/or cheapest option for going about this? Bare in mind that I would prefer to be able to play Xbox live without having the MAC on, but this isn't essential.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Buy a router.

I would advise that you do a search on cable router or adsl router in the forums to get the advice you need. In terms of choice, I would get cable over ADSL if it is available. If you can only get ADSL then check out www.adslguide.org.uk for ISP info.

A router is a piece of network hardware, it doesn't matter whether you have a PC, Mac, X-Box, PS2 or Gamecube it will simply plug into it and work :)

3. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just backing up Sinzer's advice.

I've got an iMac and iBook, ADSL (freedom2surf), a Draytek 2600 router (zionmedia.co.uk - £140), and a wireless access point (3com - £100).

So the laptop works wireless all round the house, and the neighbours houses as well,
    (They pay half the bill !, nice...). Of course you don't have to have any particular computer switched on to use the ADSL, it's on all the time.

I'm not sure if my router works with the Xbox, I've got an Xbox but not Xbox Live.yet) But it's a fully featured router, with tons of settings, for port forwarding, Nat settings, proxy stuff, etc. etc. so it should be fine.

When Halo2 comes out I'll be getting it though.

P.S. adslguide has a Mac forum which helped me decide what router to get. There are cheaper option around now with wireless access built in.

Take Care.

4. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered X-box Live.
    Just plugged it in and it worked with no router configuration needed.

It runs really well, very funny to chat to people while you play, I'm hooked.

User name: SpunkyDunc