• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Broadband fibre to the socket?

Steven_W

Novice Member
So, I currently have FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), some businesses have fibre to the premises... will there come a time when fibre will come direct to a socket, then a fibre patch cable will connect the socket to the modem/router and then fibre will be run in the walls to fibre outlet plates and in turn fibre patch leads right into your computer/NAS/streamer etc.

Surely this would give ultimate bandwidth?

Reasons for/against?

maf1970

This is currently a long way away.

The biggest problem is that fibre patch leads are infact very fragile items that get damaged very easily indeed and as such would not be suitable for a residential environment.(kids,pets etc)

mucca_D

This is currently a long way away.

The biggest problem is that fibre patch leads are infact very fragile items that get damaged very easily indeed and as such would not be suitable for a residential environment.(kids,pets etc)

No its not, and no they are not!

Sadly the roll out is very slow, however to say its far away when in fact its here already is wrong.

As for fragile, yep the non protected ones are indeed fragile. However they dont need to be and we have been using fibre in our homes for along time already!. TOSH LINK! anyone.

New homes in particular are having fibre run directly to a patch and then into an optical CPE. the rest of the home is either ethernet over power or direct ethernet cable run.
I doubt we will in the near future require fibre runs around the house.

Saying that, my mate is using fibre for his home raid network just fine.
10GigE anyone :D

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
You have been reading way to many online forums!

Ha! :) I worked for Xerox for 27yrs and was involved in the development of Ethernet, (the ultimate contention battleground), back in the early 70's. :smashin:

maf1970

No its not, and no they are not!

Sadly the roll out is very slow, however to say its far away when in fact its here already is wrong.
So you are saying that fibre to the premises for residential customers is here.
who offers it and where ?

New homes in particular are having fibre run directly to a patch and then into an optical CPE. the rest of the home is either ethernet over power or direct ethernet cable run.
I doubt we will in the near future require fibre runs around the house.
Can't find any home maker that provides this type of service in a new house.

Saying that, my mate is using fibre for his home raid network just fine.
10GigE anyone :D
so you and your mate have run fibre in your houses (obviously got way too much money to burn) and that constitutes to fibre being here already ? :lease:

biohead

A much wider access variant is in final trial stages right now. It's known as FTTP-On Demand, and the last I heard was that it goes live on monday (29/4/13).

Basically, it relies on your area being FTTC enabled, then a fibre link is run between the new FTTC cab and your house. Unfortunately there are a few problems...

1) You need to be an an FTTC area, and even then there's no guarantee it'll be ALL FTTC areas which can buy FTTP-on Demand.

2) Cost. Extremely high. BT Openreach have announced vague pricing. A fixed install cost of £500, plus a variable charge which runs between £200 and £1000 on top of that depending on how much work it takes to create the new fibre link to your house.

3) More cost. £38 (+ VAT!) per month. Although for that you do get 330/30 mbits.

Plans may have changed, but the prices speeds and dates were all correct when I last looked about a month ago.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
mwallan said:
I currently have ftth for the last year .. great speed always at 100 down

Same here, had it since last May, only get 80 down, could have got 100mb at the time (now 120 apparently) but couldn't justify the extra cost.

deathtrap3000

BT have some FTTP areas instead of FTTC. Not many though. They are also doing FTTPoD as mentioned by biohead which will allow people to order FTTP if they can afford it and they live in an FTTC area.
Hyperoptic are also doing FTTP in a few areas to residents in tower blocks and a few homes.
In both cases, i think, they run fibre into a splice box, then from the box into a modem. From there you can run ethernet to wherever needed. No point running fibre all over your property as ethernet can also take the bandwidth offered currently.

Last edited:

Goooner

Distinguished Member
In both cases, i think, they run fibre into a splice box, then from the box into a modem. From there you can run ethernet to wherever needed. No point running fibre all over your property as ethernet can also take the bandwidth offered currently.

That's how mine was done, little white box on the wall outside where the fibre runs to, then that's connected to the modem.

Broosta

That's how mine was done, little white box on the wall outside where the fibre runs to, then that's connected to the modem.

So what's the point in FTTP if it's only 120mb/s max? I'm getting more than that with virgin now.:confused:
I can't believe it's 'proper' FTTP in your case.

mwallan

So what's the point in FTTP if it's only 120mb/s max? I'm getting more than that with virgin now.:confused:
I can't believe it's 'proper' FTTP in your case.

its down to what the isp offers with FTTH i have the fastest package is 350 down but the one i chose was the 100 down package

Goooner

Distinguished Member
No idea :)

It's definitely a fibre optic cable running right to the house, I saw him fitting, so I'm not sure how much more proper it could be :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom